PDA

View Full Version : Monogram: How do you do this with a hyphen?

minnie-zb
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
So, I want to monogram something for me. I hyphenate by last name. For all intents and purposes I do not use my middle name (it is too long with all of them!). Let's say my name is Minnie Bows-Shoes. How would you do my hyphen? When I write my initials on something I always do MBS (no idea if that is what I should be doing, but that's what I do).

Any thoughts?

boolady
02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
I think because it's hyphenated, and not your former last name as middle name, husband's last name as last name, your monogram would be comprised of two initials-- MB.

sariana
02-25-2013, 01:18 PM
The official way to do a monogram is with the first initial of the last name larger in the middle. So Hermione Jane Granger would be

HGJ

But with a bigger G.

I'm not sure what the convention is for a hyphenated name. If Minnie's maiden name is Bows, I assume that would take the role of the middle name. So it would be

MSB (again with the S bigger)

But that kind of defeats the purpose of maintaining one's maiden name as equal in status to the spouse's last name.

So I guess I don't know. My personal opinion is that it should be up to you seeing as it's your name.

MamaInMarch
02-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Well, since it's your monogram I think you should do it however you like it. I think if I were to lay it out, I would probably do somthing like this (although I like the first option better, visually):

Name: Minnie Mouse Shoes-Bows

Monogram: MSBM or MS-BM

I like the idea of including the middle initial simply so the monogram looks "balanced" even though it is not a name you use normally.

gamma
02-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Great question! I too hyphenate my name and I have never been able to order anything monogrammed with initials. I do not use my middle name, since my middle name is 8 lettters and my first name is only 4. I feel like the hyphenated last name makes my name unusual enough. If I try to order an item from Pottery Barn there is only an option for three initials, all the same size or with the middle initial using the last name larger. I will be interested in responses. I would like to order a door mat, but can't decide between the Shoes-Bows Family or the Bows Family, since I am the only one with the last name Shoes-Bows. I like the examples above with MSBM or MS-BM first choice (in the style MamaInMarch did)

MaiseyDog
02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
I really think you can create your monogram however you think looks pleasing but if you want to lean toward traditional, here is what Crane (http://www.crane.com/etiquette/wedding/after-the-wedding) says about monogram for hyphenated names.

The initials you use represent your first name, middle name and hyphenated maiden and married names. All four of your initials appear in order in monograms in which all of the initials are the same size.

Your hyphenated maiden and married names appear in the center of monograms that normally have a larger middle initial. The initial representing your first name appears to the left while your middle initial appears to the right. The hyphen does appear between your maiden and married initials.

Since most monogram styles are designed for three initials, you should make sure the monogram you choose looks good with four initials. Before ordering hundreds of notes, you should ask to see a proof.

minnie-zb
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Hmmmm....Interesting. Unfortunately most of the places who monogram only do 3 initials -- seems like they are missing the boat on this one.

crl
02-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Hmmmm....Interesting. Unfortunately most of the places who monogram only do 3 initials -- seems like they are missing the boat on this one.

I have run into this with the kids as they have four names (two middle names, no hyphens). I have found that places that personalize with names can easily do the four initial monogram, just order as if it is a name in all caps. So if the name is Ann Bea Candy Doe, fill in the name block with ABCD.

When I couldn't do that once for ds on a backpack, I asked him if he wanted just his first initial or just his last. He chose first. For a doormat or similar, I think I would choose just the last initial.

Catherine