PDA

View Full Version : Plugged duct or sore muscles? How can I tell?

MommyAllison
02-25-2013, 12:08 PM
I just started the 30 Day Shred on Thursday, but because it was a busy weekend, I only did it Thur&Fri, took Sat&Sun off. Yesterday afternoon, I noticed soreness under my left arm, and thought it might be a plugged duct, so nursed DD2 extra on that side at bedtime and all night. This morning it still feels sore, but I don't see any redness on my skin and can't pinpoint an exact spot. It's more general soreness in a long strip down the side, but there is no corresponding soreness on my right side, and I hadn't felt sore there after working out. I suppose it's possible I somehow bruised the area over the weekend. So, does it sound like a plugged duct? Should I run out for lecithin today? FWIW, I've only had one plugged duct in 7 years of nursing, never had thrush or mastitis. Thanks!

ETA: I have not changed anything in what I wear - still wearing old Target nursing tanks, no underwire or anything constricting, which is why a plugged duct seems puzzling to me. The only time I've had one was after wearing an underwire nursing bra.

nbarrett78
02-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Can't help with telling the difference for you, but I can give you advice about what to do. If it is a plugged duct... nurse your DC in football hold exclusively for a day or two. For some reason, this helps gets the duct get unplugged and if you nurse like that on regular basis (not every time) it helps to not get ducts plugged in first place.
Good luck!!!

MamaInMarch
02-25-2013, 03:13 PM
I think I would try a 2 pronged approach. Nurse in varying positions with nose/chin aligned with soreness (think soreness --> nose/chin -->nipple in a line) so the strongest suction will be encouraging the plug to exit. And take some ibuprofen for soreness/swelling.

MommyAllison
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Thank you both! After working out today, I'm pretty sure it's a plugged duct. We're nursing in the football hold (which, incidentally, aligns her with the sore area) and I will probably ask DH to pick up some lecithin on the way home. I have to say, football hold with a very tall 15 month old is an interesting experience. :)