PDA

View Full Version : Yeast diaper rash??? Update in #6

trcy
02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
DD has a diaper rash that Desitin is not helping. Could it be a yeast diaper rash? How can I tell the difference? How do I treat, do I have to take her to the ped? TIA!

Blue Hydrangea
02-25-2013, 06:22 PM
DD had a few yeast diaper rashes that desitin didn't help. Our Ped said the cornstarch in Desitin actually makes a yeast rash worse. The rash itself looked bright red, and spread in little pin dots that gradually melded together into splotches of angry red.

Our ped said to purchase miconizol yeast infection cream from the pharmacy and use that in place of diaper cream, change wet diapers ASAP and put new yeast cream on at every change.

By the time we figured it out she was so sore, so I mixed up a recipe for this diaper cream I found online:
equal parts yeast cream, neosporin, hydrocortizone and vaseline. Worked like a charm!

emily_gracesmama
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
We had thrush at 2 mths. The diaper rash was red and bumpy and went hand in hand with the painful nursing and red nipples so altogether it fit. We treated with a script nystatin cream for his rash and a liquid for his rash in his mouth and a two week long script for me too. I took him to the dr and then called my ob for a script for me when the cream wasn't helping me. Supposedly you can treat with gentian violet but I have no experience w that. I wouldn't want to treat if I wasn't sure what it is tho.

Tondi G
02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
If it's a yeast rash you can use the cream sold over the counter for athletes foot, Lotrimin.

I put a very thin layer of lotrimin and then a nice coating of Aquaphor on top.

MamaMolly
02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
I wonder if this is what Dolly has. She has had a pimply rash off and on for a really long time. I keep pointing it out to her Ped, who said to put baby powder on it. Yeeeeeeeah. That has done ZIP to help.

I thought it was her diapers but she started potty training so that can't be it.

trcy
03-02-2013, 09:21 PM
If it's a yeast rash you can use the cream sold over the counter for athletes foot, Lotrimin.

I put a very thin layer of lotrimin and then a nice coating of Aquaphor on top.

Worked great, thank you!