PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your gear when outgrown?

SoCalMommy
02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Curious to hear what you do, especially when you are "done" having more children. Also, what kinds of items do you sell vs. donate or give away?

hillview
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Give away to friends what we can
Donate everything else

AJP
02-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Sell and donate. I don't know anyone having kids younger than mine who have needed or wanted anything.

edurnemk
02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm still holding on to most things since I haven't given up on the idea of a 3rd, but the things that I have gotten rid of I usually pass on to friends or donate.

The only things I'm thinking of selling instead of donating are high-end strollers and DS's train table.

WatchingThemGrow
02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Usually sell - CL or consignment sales, but I gave 2 Peg highchairs to SIL as she needed them right as we were done with them. I guess we've also given them other gear as well, but the timing's not always right. CL and consignment is easy to do on your own timeline. I use the money to offset the next round of stuff we need to buy.

Snow mom
02-25-2013, 11:25 PM
We sold:
High chair
Swing
Peapod
Some large toys

Gave away:
Bouncer
Eurobath

Kept:
Strollers
Carriers

I'm sure we must have had more stuff :). Basically I sell when the money recouped to time invested makes sense. That depends both on the amount an item is worth and how easy it is to sell.

abh5e8
02-26-2013, 12:36 AM
well...i voted all of them! i have sold, given to friends and charity. i have thrown some away. i plan to have more dc, so all that we use/plan to use I have kept.

citymama
02-26-2013, 12:45 AM
We've done all the first 3 - sold, donated and given to friends.

rin
02-26-2013, 01:48 AM
We're holding on to everything for right now, since we're still vacillating about having a third. I go back and forth, DH is pretty done but says he could be convinced if I were positive that's what I wanted. I have no idea when we'll feel positive one way or the other. If/when we end up getting rid of things, we'll probably sell what we can and donate the rest. We don't have any friends who live nearby who are having kids after us, so I'm not sure who we'd give things to. That could change, though, depending on when we finally decide we're done!

s7714
02-26-2013, 01:58 AM
I've given some to friends/family and donated the rest. I try to donate to places that will actually use the items vs. just sell them.

elephantmeg
02-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I sold the big stuff-bouncy, swing, bumbo, carriers, cloth diapers, strollers. Gave a few things to my brother (they are pregnant now but were still several years away when I was getting rid of stuff so pretty much just board books and the ergo). Donated the rest! Gave a good friend of mine my crib-she is starting to foster so needed one JIC. And it had been slightly chewed so I didn't feel like I could sell it :)

I've kept: pack n play, booster seat and a gate that I use when friends/family with small kids come. And a few baby toys/books

Mommy_Mea
02-26-2013, 09:02 PM
My sister is pregnant with a boy, so I am boxing up everything possible to give to her.. Before I knew she was pregnant, I gave away some stuff we were done with, infant clothes, exersaucer, glider...

We know we are done, so I am trying to move stuff out of the house before it starts to gather dust and is still there 10 years later!

crl
02-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I gave the bouncy and swing away for free on CL--both had been purchased used off CL and I didn't feel like messing with trying to sell them.

I sold a bunch of stuff on CL: I sold the infant car seat and base on CL as those had been purchased new and had a recent DOM so they were worth more. I also sold dd's infant size clothes in lots on CL and the first box I billed as a new baby box and included other small items like unused pacifiers and the 4 oz glass baby bottles. I sold our glass Dr. Bonners bottles on CL. I sold wooden infant toys on CL. I sold some strollers on CL.

I sold a couple of bigger ticket items to a friend: I sold a practically new (used maybe five times) ergo to a friend and gave her other carriers and small items. I also sold her a Cybex Onyx stroller for practically nothing as I had gotten it for cheap off Overstock.

I have a Tripp trapp I am considering selling on CL soon because my almost three year old hasn't used it in months as she wants to sit in the regular chairs like us.

So I have done a mix depending on whether a friend wanted an item and on its value.

Catherine

belovedgandp
03-03-2013, 02:22 AM
Bigger gear I've mostly sold. Did a round when my youngest was just over 1 on CL - carseat, stroller frame, swing, bouncer, saucer.

Only thing I'm keeping is our pack n play.

Clothing I tend to donate or give to friends; especially the under 2t stuff.

Starting on the every 18 months consignment sale circuit now. Did a fall one 1 1/2 years ago and prepping for a spring one now. Let's me hit a different season and gather enough stuff to make it worth the time and effort to participate in between sales.

ZeeBaby
03-03-2013, 10:28 AM
We've done all the first 3 - sold, donated and given to friends.

Same here. We still have a ton of stuff and I am starting to gear up for garage sale/Craigslist season again. My goal is to get everything out of the house by July/August. DH is over all the baby gear.

Melaine
03-03-2013, 10:37 AM
I mostly sell it. Sometimes giveaway.