PDA

View Full Version : Organizing is making my life chaos!!

lhafer
02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm trying super hard to really organize my house so it will STAY ORGANIZED. Much easier said than done I must say.

I bought a whole bunch of multipurpose bins, and have used them under my bathroom sinks. They now look awesome and clutter free. I need to work on my kitchen sink next.

And pantry after that....

And frig after that....

And freezer after that....

And closets after that...

etc...etc...etc...

It seems to never end, and I look around my house is in CHAOS while trying to get organized. It's driving out of my ever loving mind!! The only good thing I have to say about it right now...the couple of areas that have literally taken me ALL DAY to clean A PIECE have actually stayed organized. So maybe there's hope (and the smallest pin point of light imaginable) at the end of the tunnel.

hillview
02-25-2013, 07:54 PM
yes. this happens IME

KrisM
02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
The areas that I worked hard to organize - my kitchen cabinets, bath cabinets, laundry room, art areas - have stayed pretty well organized. If they get messy, it takes very little time to neaten things up again.

But, the rest of my house is still a work in progress. I keep moving things around trying to find the best place for things.

Good luck!

karstmama
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
make sure you've pared down the stuff you don't use/don't need/don't have the space for, and then it's all finding where it needs to live, which can take some trial & error. it will happen! go you! yay for peep! ('place everything, everything place'. :) )

lhafer
02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
make sure you've pared down the stuff you don't use/don't need/don't have the space for, and then it's all finding where it needs to live, which can take some trial & error. it will happen! go you! yay for peep! ('place everything, everything place'. :) )

I had an entire TRASH BAG FULL of crap just cleaning out under MY bathroom sink!! Yes, the paring down is getting serious. My cleaning ladies are coming tomorrow - not sure how clean it will get with all the crap around. Perhaps everything will just end up in a trash bag....:bag and :innocent:

karstmama
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
i think it sounds totally like you're on the right track. have the end goal in mind, but just concentrate on the next couple of steps, not all the loooong list of steps...too depressing. yay cleaning ladies! yay trashbags! you can do this organization thing!

lhafer
03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm getting there....I have to go back for more multipurpose bins today. I plan to post pics of everything once I'm finished. I wasn't thinking about it and didn't get good before photos, so it will just be "after" shots.

calebsmama03
03-02-2013, 12:59 AM
I got this book http://www.amazon.com/Organized-Simplicity-Clutter-Free-Approach-Intentional/dp/1440302634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362199756&sr=8-1&keywords=organized+simplicity
as a free kindle download. I didn't love it (kind of preachy re getting rid of stuff) but it was useful on how to organize and clean without turning your house upside down for weeks. You do one room per dayIt's been a while since I read it but the basic idea was to bring 3 large boxes into each room (she has a suggested order that I can't recall) - one for keep, one for sell (she suggests doing a garage sale when you're done), one for donate. Also bring a trash container and cleaning supplies. Clear every flat surface putting items into appropriate bins - items to sell should be price labeled with masking tape or stickers as you go so you don't have to do it later. Clean the flat surfaces as you clear them, etc. It really was helpful. I never finished 100% but maybe later this spring....

MamaMolly
03-02-2013, 11:00 AM
I got this book http://www.amazon.com/Organized-Simplicity-Clutter-Free-Approach-Intentional/dp/1440302634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362199756&sr=8-1&keywords=organized+simplicity
as a free kindle download. I didn't love it (kind of preachy re getting rid of stuff) but it was useful on how to organize and clean without turning your house upside down for weeks. You do one room per dayIt's been a while since I read it but the basic idea was to bring 3 large boxes into each room (she has a suggested order that I can't recall) - one for keep, one for sell (she suggests doing a garage sale when you're done), one for donate. Also bring a trash container and cleaning supplies. Clear every flat surface putting items into appropriate bins - items to sell should be price labeled with masking tape or stickers as you go so you don't have to do it later. Clean the flat surfaces as you clear them, etc. It really was helpful. I never finished 100% but maybe later this spring....

Wow that is a great idea!!

lhafer
03-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I can't do just one room at a time. I would do one room and never do the others. As long as my entire house is in chaos - it reminds me that I'm not done!!

So far I've finished my closet, my daughters' closet, my freezer, the junk drawer, my bathroom drawer, under the bathroom sinks, and my pantry.

KrisM
03-02-2013, 04:49 PM
I can't do just one room at a time. I would do one room and never do the others. As long as my entire house is in chaos - it reminds me that I'm not done!!

So far I've finished my closet, my daughters' closet, my freezer, the junk drawer, my bathroom drawer, under the bathroom sinks, and my pantry.

Awesome!!

I can't do a room at a time either. I need to break it down into much smaller sections and I do what I have time for.