PDA

View Full Version : nutritional supplement recs. needed

petesgirl
02-26-2013, 12:09 AM
My 19 month old DS is on the bottom end of the growth curves for weight (like, 5th % or less since birth). His is about average for height, though. His normal ped. isn't worried because he has followed the same curve since birth and DH and I were both slim babies. But his pediatric gastroenterologist that has been helping us treat reflux and dairy allergies IS concerned about his weight. He is now drinking whole cow's milk, but she suggested we add either pediasure or carnation breakfast essentials to the milk to up calories. I am steering clear of pediasure because I have heard that many of the ingredients are questionable. And I'm not sure I want to do carnation either because sugar is the 3rd ingredient---it doesn't seem too healthy either.

Is anyone aware of other alternative supplements?

mikala
02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
I found this sticky really helpful when we were going through weight issues.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2739637

I essentially had to turn everything I ever learned about nutrition on its head and try for the highest calorie version of everything. Years of using oils and other fats sparingly went out the window.

lalasmama
02-26-2013, 03:23 AM
We added heavy whipping cream to DD's whole milk. It provides a lot of the needed calories. The nutritionist said to also add carnation instant breakfast, but they don't have one that DD is okay with (allergic to many artificial dyes), and so the nutritionist was okay with just the heavy whipping cream.