PDA

View Full Version : Mice in our storage area--what should I do with the baby gear? (Updated last post)

goldenpig
02-26-2013, 03:24 AM
We have a small storage area behind our laundry room--it's an enclosed area, but not finished out--basically plywood platform over dirt. Unfortunately, some mice got into this area and we had the pest control people out a couple months ago to get rid of them. Now that I'm trying to prepare for the baby coming, I went looking for the baby gear and unfortunately some of it is in this storage area...a bouncer seat, pack n play and bumbo type seat. But when I peeked inside to look, I found another dead mouse on one of the sticky traps. Yuck! So we're having the pest people come back out. Now, none of the items seems to be visibly contaminated with droppings or anything (and the pack n play was folded up into its storage bag), but we're kind of grossed out and DH says I should toss everything. What do you think I should do?

1) Decontaminate with bleach spray, wash the seat cover and keep/use the gear for the new baby
2) Buy new gear (or try to borrow from someone else) and toss the old stuff in the trash
3) Buy new gear and clean/donate the old stuff

ETA: Updated last post--decided to decontaminate and use.

mum-to-be
02-26-2013, 03:34 AM
I'd clean it and use it.

mikala
02-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Are the pest people using chemicals? If so, I'd be more worried about that than the mice themselves. I'd spray down the hard sided stuff and try to keep anything but exposed fabric that can't be washed.

If it's warm in your area a little sunshine can also do wonders for disinfection.

mmommy
02-26-2013, 06:44 AM
I'd wash it all, put it in the sun to dry, and have no problem using it.
I'd be surprised if most of the warehouse where these items ship from new didn't have mice, so I don't know what good throwing it all away and starting over would do.

JBaxter
02-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Another wash and dry it. I would probably use a diluted bleach on the plastics and rinse well Wash the cloth items with vinegar in the rinse and let air dry. Put them in the sun if you live in an area you can do that.

Mikey0709
02-26-2013, 08:41 AM
FYI when we stored out baby stuff, we wrapped most if it securely in Saran Wrap .
I was afraid of the same problem!

crl
02-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Another wash and dry it. I would probably use a diluted bleach on the plastics and rinse well Wash the cloth items with vinegar in the rinse and let air dry. Put them in the sun if you live in an area you can do that.

:yeahthat:

Catherine

rin
02-26-2013, 11:54 AM
I'd wash it all, put it in the sun to dry, and have no problem using it.
I'd be surprised if most of the warehouse where these items ship from new didn't have mice, so I don't know what good throwing it all away and starting over would do.

:yeahthat:

Blue Hydrangea
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Yup, another :yeahthat:

baileygirl
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I hate mice, so I might be tempted to get rid of everything. Out of the 3 items you listed, I might borrow/buy a new bouncer and give DH the other 2 things to clean.

BunnyBee
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Do you live in an area where Hantavirus is prevalent?

http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html

goldenpig
03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Update--I had the pest control people come out and they removed the dead mouse and we had someone patch the cement where the mouse probably got in. I asked them about hantavirus and they said it hasn't been found in this county and is seen in deer mice, not field mice like we have here. So I decided to wash the bouncer seat on the sanitary cycle and wipe down the frame with bleach and am using the seat now. Did the same with the bebepod seat and will use that later. I haven't unpacked the pack n play yet because we don't have any room to set it up in our living room anymore (too many toys!) but I'll decontaminate and use it later if needed. Thanks for the advice!