PDA

View Full Version : Baby boy name: Henry or Oliver? Update in last post!

goldenpig
02-26-2013, 03:31 AM
Due date is less than a week away! Trying to decide between my and DH's top picks. Which do you like better and why? If neither, any other suggestions? Thanks!

ETA: Older sibs are Amelia and Nathaniel. They already have a cousin named Olive, which is why I wasn't as keen on Oliver. DH thinks Henry is too short since we have a short last name and he doesn't like any of the nicknames (Hank, Hal, Harry) even though I told him most Henrys don't use nicknames nowadays.

ETA: Update in last post!

elektra
02-26-2013, 03:43 AM
Man, I like them both! There is an Oliver in DD's class... I guess I would pick Oliver if I had to choose but I love Henry too.

joules
02-26-2013, 03:46 AM
I like them both. sorry. Both names are used in my cousin's family so I'm biased.

citymama
02-26-2013, 03:52 AM
They're both great names, but I voted Henry. I think it's a classic and not going to go out of style, whereas Oliver's popularity could fade over time.

Funny, I have a friend whose sons are named Henry AND Oliver!

Nooknookmom
02-26-2013, 03:59 AM
Voted Oliver, sounds a little "different" compared to Henry.

hellokitty
02-26-2013, 04:27 AM
I love the name Henry for a boy, so cute and there's no nn. Do you care about nn? We know an Oliver, but everyone calls him Ollie. I know that sometimes potential nn put some parents off. If your other two go by a nn, most likely ppl will try to use a nn for their little brother too. That would be something to consider.

elektra
02-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Ok, trying to get specific since like I said, I like both names. I was first thinking Oliver went well with the 3-syllable names of your older two. But does Nathaniel go by Nate? If so I kind of like Amelia, Henry and Nate. Or Amelia, Nate and Henry.

citymama
02-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Hank is a fantastic nickname for Henry if he ever wants one - but it isn't just a shorter name the way that Nate or Ollie might become at school. I'm crazy about the nickname Hank!

infomama
02-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Henry all the way.

stinkyfeet
02-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Congrats on another baby boy! :cheerleader1:

I like both names, but I like Henry a little bit more.

boilermakermom
02-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Henry 100%!!!

TwinFoxes
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Henry, I think it just sounds strong and classic. Oliver is a little too British, like Nigel (and I'm a total Anglophile!) I agree that most Henrys these days tend to use the full name.

What about Harrison? A little longer than Henry, and I think it works with your other DCs' names. But I really like Henry.

scrooks
02-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Henry has always been on our boys name list so that is how I voted. I know an Oliver and he is annoying so that tainted my opinion.

Pennylane
02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
I love Henry. I think it's such a strong name .

Ann

Philly Mom
02-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Oliver. Love it. Love Olly. I know lots of Henrys now

pinkmomagain
02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
I prefer Henry. I think it is a stronger name.

Snow mom
02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
I like both names but would consider both "popular" (but we're going with something similarly popular). Personally I'd go with Henry over Oliver but I might have a bias against Oliver.

cvanbrunt
02-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I like them both, but they are very popular names with the tiresome hipster set so I'd be worried about my kiddo being one of three Henrys in his class.

BabbyO
02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
I LOVE Oliver and wanted to name Peanut Oliver. DH wouldn't let me because our last name starts with O....and he doesn't like the double sound thing. Oliver O. He also wouldn't let me name Peanut another name that started with "S" because Stachio's name starts with "S"

Henry is probably great...but DH and I could never do it because the first play we were in together was My Fair Lady and he played Henry Higgins. We still launch into lines whenever we hear the name!

MelissaTC
02-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Oliver!

g-mama
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
I voted for Oliver, but I really love them both just as much. Hard to pick a winner without knowing the last name, but go with what your gut tells you and then wait til you see him. Many people say that's what made their decision.

Melaine
02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
I like them both a lot. Henry was runner up for DS's name and only lost out because we went with a family name.

Ceepa
02-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I like both but Oliver is so sweet and although Henry is adorable on a boy, I don't like it as much for an adolescent or adult even though it is also a classic name.

123LuckyMom
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
I love them both, but I choose Oliver based on its meaning of peace. My DS is named Oliver. If we had had a second boy instead of a girl, he would most likely have been Henry, so I think you have good taste in names!!! Be aware, though, that both those names are quite popular now. There are a few Henrys in my son's school and another Oliver in town.

boolady
02-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Henry. I've always loved Henry.

wellyes
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
I like them both. While they are both pretty popular right now, I know more Henrys than Olivers.

If it were me I'd go with John Henry, after the folk hero and folk song. It'd be so cool to have a theme song!!

A1icia
02-26-2013, 11:14 AM
I like Oliver best!

There are a LOT of Henrys in DS's daycare.

MamaMolly
02-26-2013, 11:16 AM
With Oliver I couldn't help thinking about the show/song. And as a Molly who's heard a lifetime of Good Golly Miss Molly I would avoid names with songs closely attached.

bcafe
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
My brother and SIL will be naming their little guy Henry with Hank as a nickname. If you knew my bro, Hank fits!

twowhat?
02-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I voted Henry! Oliver seems a bit trendy to me, and I also see it as more of a cute name for a little boy but not so much for an adult.

Wow, can't believe you're due so soon!

mom3boys
02-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I chose Henry. I don't like the nickname "Ollie", and I think that is what Oliver is likely to become (just personal preference though!). Henry doesn't so easily translate to a nickname.

I had a 4 letter, one syllable last name, and me and my brother and sister all had two-syllable first names. Oddly, we did all end up with one-syllable nicknames in high school which definitely sounded too short for me--when I went to college I introduced myself by my full name. So the only negative for me with Henry is if it is shortened to Hank then the name is a little short. But honestly once the kid is in school you don't have that much control over nicknames anyway.

JElaineB
02-26-2013, 11:29 AM
I like Henry. Oliver always reminds me of that cousin from The Brady Bunch.

mum-to-be
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
I like me both but I think Henry might be less a mouthful when said with Amelia. But both very nice names. And yay for just one week to go!

rin
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
I picked Oliver, but that was one of our shortlist names if DD2 had been a boy, so I'm biased! I love the sound of Oliver, and I don't think it's crazy trendy at all. I think Henry's an awesome name, but there's a little boy at DD1's school who gets called Hen all the time, which I'm not crazy about.

Honestly, though, I think they're both great names.

mackmama
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
I love the name Henry. :)

AnnieW625
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
I voted neither before I read your post because they both seem popular here, however there are no Olivers and Henrys in Elisa's class or at Lauren's daycare. I think if I had to vote for either one I would have given Oliver my vote, but I honestly think my first thought would have been of the main character in Love Story, who was an Oliver, and Jenny called him Oli, which is the main reason I never brought the name up or was glad DH never brought it up when were looking at names.

Oh and anytime I think of Nathaniel I think of Nathaniel Hawthorne, and if you had an Oliver or a Henry then I would automatically think you really loved classic literature because I would think about Oliver Wendel Holmes, and Henry James.

Other classic names that will go well with Amelia, and Nathaniel:
Ian (this was our boy name for baby 2, and had DD2 been a boy. My co worker has a son Nathaniel, and a son Ian)
Ethan (this was our boy name had DD1 been a boy)
Benjamin
Eric
Stephen
Julian

I like them both, but they are very popular names with the tiresome hipster set so I'd be worried about my kiddo being one of three Henrys in his class.

Agree with this it is definitely a hipster name in my area.

I like both but Oliver is so sweet and although Henry is adorable on a boy, I don't like it as much for an adolescent or adult even though it is also a classic name.

Agreed. Come on, even Indiana Jones was originally a Henry and went by Indiana (which was the dog's name). Had to throw that in there (even though I know it was just a movie!)

BayGirl2
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
I can't believe you're due already! When did that happen? :)

Sorry, not a fan of Henry, it sounds too old fashion to me and your other DCs have cuter names. I'd say Oliver or something else. I don't think its too close to Olive for a cousin.

Jacksmommy2b
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
I adore them both! Both we're on our short list before we knew DD was a girl. I would give Henry a slight edge but I really believe you can't go wrong.

I can't believe you are almost there! It doesn't seem that long ago I read your 'hiding the bump' thread!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

maybeebaby08
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
I love the name Henry, I like classic names for boys. Henry and Oliver are both popular names around here, Henry more then Oliver.

bisous
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
I like both names, a LOT! I didn't vote. I don't think either name is overused in my area. Nowadays people use such a larger variety of names that even the most popular names are not as common as when I was a Jennifer in the 80s, IYKWIM!

YouAreTheFocus
02-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Oliver for sure! Not a fan of Henry. And I think Oliver goes perfectly with your other DC's names!

Minnifer
02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
I like them both a lot, and I'm a fan of trying out the contenders at the hospital to see what best fits. With DS I was almost positive he'd be Henry, but when I used it with him, it just didn't sound right coming out of my mouth when trying to soothe him, etc - it sounded too whine-y, almost ("hennnnn-rrrrrrrry). Of course, I didn't pick the final name for either of my kids until about 3 minutes before leaving the hospital after a 5 day stay, so maybe I'm not the best to chime in :p

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Your choices remind me of Simon...just saying in case you need another name. :) I would choose Henry over Olver, though I think Henry is becoming more popular.

goldenpig
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
They're both great names, but I voted Henry. I think it's a classic and not going to go out of style, whereas Oliver's popularity could fade over time.

I looked at the popularity of the two names on Baby Name Wizard Name Voyager, and it looks like Henry was super popular in the 1880's (top 10) and then fell to 140's throughout the mid-20th century, but has been gaining popularity and is now 57 in 2011. Oliver was in the 70's in 1880's, dipped to 400's in the mid-20th century, and is now back to 78 for 2011. So both names are regaining popularity. Both of our kid's names were in the 75-80 range when they were born--I kind of like having a name that is familiar (50-100's) but not super common (top 10). I do know one kid named Henry in DD's class, and another acquaintance had a baby named Oliver, but actually don't know that many IRL of either. Around here there are tons of kids named Will or Liam, Lucas, Jack, Jacob, Ethan and Alex.

I love the name Henry for a boy, so cute and there's no nn. Do you care about nn? We know an Oliver, but everyone calls him Ollie. I know that sometimes potential nn put some parents off. If your other two go by a nn, most likely ppl will try to use a nn for their little brother too. That would be something to consider.

Amelia does not have a nickname. We always called DS Nathaniel but at age 2 he suddenly decided he wanted to be called Nate so he mostly goes by Nate. DH does not like nicknames, even though he himself goes by a nickname. He would prefer that we call the baby by the full name, either way.

Hank is a fantastic nickname for Henry if he ever wants one - but it isn't just a shorter name the way that Nate or Ollie might become at school. I'm crazy about the nickname Hank!

I kind of like Hank too! But DH made a face and kept saying "handkerchief". I really don't like Ollie though, especially with our last name, and there aren't any other nn options for Oliver. And this may be silly, but I also don't like how Oliver has the word "liver" in it.

I prefer Henry. I think it is a stronger name.
I agree, Oliver sounds like it has the potential to be a bit wimpy, esp. if/when our kid ends up in glasses. But DH thinks the same thing about Henry...he says he knew several Henrys in his high school and they were all bland.

:ROTFLMAO:Haha, so true. I consider my little brother and SIL hipsters (like they like to "check in" at restaurants and post Instagram pics of the food they eat), and they really liked the name Oliver, but when they ended up having a girl, instead of Olivia they named her Olive (which is such a hipster name). Henry is kind of hipster too, but maybe not cool enough for the true hipsters...it's more of a "yupster" name, which is what DH and I are (and our kids' names are more yupster than hipster). I actually like hipster names like Dexter, Milo, Clementine and Matilda, but DH would never go for those--he hates hipsters!

Here's a really funny article on how to avoid giving your baby a hipster name:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2008/10/14/10-ways-to-avoid-hipster-baby-names.html

I chose Henry. I don't like the nickname "Ollie", and I think that is what Oliver is likely to become (just personal preference though!). Henry doesn't so easily translate to a nickname.

I had a 4 letter, one syllable last name, and me and my brother and sister all had two-syllable first names. Oddly, we did all end up with one-syllable nicknames in high school which definitely sounded too short for me--when I went to college I introduced myself by my full name. So the only negative for me with Henry is if it is shortened to Hank then the name is a little short. But honestly once the kid is in school you don't have that much control over nicknames anyway.

Yes, DH really wants a longer name than Henry, which is why he likes Oliver. His second choice is Alexander, but he doesn't want our kids to have the same initials (and I think Alexander/Alex is just too common/boring with our common last name, and DH doesn't like Zander). My second choice is Tobias (nn Toby), but for some reason DH just doesn't like that name and says no every time I bring it up, so it's unfortunately off the table.

I like Henry. Oliver always reminds me of that cousin from The Brady Bunch.

Yes, when people mentioned the "Cousin Oliver" syndrome on the Downton Abbey thread I remembered the Brady Bunch kid.

katydid1971
02-26-2013, 01:39 PM
We have both a Henry and an Oliver in our family and a few friends with the names. All the Henry's we know are Henry not Hank etc. Oliver is "Ollie" which I don't like. My vote is Henry.

lizzywednesday
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
I like Henry.

It's Indiana Jones's actual first name ... and how could Indy be bland???

AustenFan
02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Henry is DS's middle name, so I'm biased!

AnnieW625
02-26-2013, 01:43 PM
......But DH thinks the same thing about Henry...he says he knew several Henrys in his high school and they were all bland.

Yes, DH really wants a longer name than Henry, which is why he likes Oliver. His second choice is Alexander, but he doesn't want our kids to have the same initials (and I think Alexander/Alex is just too common/boring with our common last name, and DH doesn't like Zander). My second choice is Tobias (nn Toby), but for some reason DH just doesn't like that name and says no every time I bring it up, so it's unfortunately off the table.

Yeah Henry as an adult seems bland, and bookish to me which is why the first thing I usually think of when I meet a little Henry is Henry James.

I like Alexander as well, but yeah I had a thing about my kids not having the same initials, which is why had DD2 been a boy we were no longer going to use Ethan.

I also had the criteria that the names must be in alphabetical order. My brother, sister, and I are (although that wasn't really mom's plan) so I got kind of focused on that as well although it really makes no sense at all:shake:. If I had not known two other Audreys (all of a sudden while on maternity leave with DD1 and watching Breakfast With Tiffany's, Audrey became my favorite girl name), and two other Abigails (DH's favorite girl name) I would have made an exception to that rule for DD2, but it didn't happen.

goldenpig
02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
I LOVE Oliver and wanted to name Peanut Oliver. DH wouldn't let me because our last name starts with O....and he doesn't like the double sound thing. Oliver O. He also wouldn't let me name Peanut another name that started with "S" because Stachio's name starts with "S"

I don't know if this is really true or not, but my parents claimed that they were going to name me Otto if I was a boy (after Sgt. Snorkel's dog in the Beetle Bailey comic strip, who dressed in Army fatigues just like the sergeant). My maiden name started with O so I would have been Otto O. LOL! I was so glad I wasn't a boy. But then, Otto is now a hipster name, so maybe I would have been cool now!
http://i.colnect.net/images/f/359/838/Beetle-Bailey-Sgt-Snorkel--amp--Otto-His-Dog.jpg

Other classic names that will go well with Amelia, and Nathaniel:
Ian (this was our boy name for baby 2, and had DD2 been a boy. My co worker has a son Nathaniel, and a son Ian)
Ethan (this was our boy name had DD1 been a boy)
Benjamin
Eric
Stephen
Julian
Benjamin and Julian were on my short list too, but nixed by DH.

Your choices remind me of Simon...just saying in case you need another name. :) I would choose Henry over Olver, though I think Henry is becoming more popular.
I like Simon, but it wouldn't work with DH's name (think Chipmunks). And a friend of ours has a son named Simon.

goldenpig
02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Yeah Henry as an adult seems bland, and bookish to me which is why the first thing I usually think of when I meet a little Henry is Henry James.

I like Alexander as well, but yeah I had a thing about my kids not having the same initials, which is why had DD2 been a boy we were no longer going to use Ethan.

I also had the criteria that the names must be in alphabetical order. My brother, sister, and I are (although that wasn't really mom's plan) so I got kind of focused on that as well although it really makes no sense at all:shake:. If I had not known two other Audreys (all of a sudden while on maternity leave with DD1 and watching Breakfast With Tiffany's, Audrey became my favorite girl name), and two other Abigails (DH's favorite girl name) I would have made an exception to that rule for DD2, but it didn't happen.

I like James too, but not Jim/Jimmy! But James is too short for DH.

How funny you mentioned that. We thought about using a Z name for #3 since #1 is A, #2 is N--Z would round out the trio perfectly. I suggested Zachariah but DH thinks that is too hard to spell. Zachary might still be an option. Nate and Zach would be cute. Although now DH says when he hears Zach/Zack he thinks of the rat on Starfall. :rolleyes: I even thought Ezekiel nn Zeke would be cute, but it's a little too similar to Nathaniel.

smilequeen
02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
:)

I have one of each. Both great names. We have a short (3 letter, one syllable) last name. Our Henry goes by straight Henry. Oliver is Oliver, but people do automatically call him Ollie sometimes too.

Oliver is gaining popularity. Henry is already there.

I'd probably go with Henry because of the cousin, but it wouldn't be a huge sway if I really preferred Oliver. I love them both pretty equally though :)

smilequeen
02-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Ha! I can see why :)

3 boys here...Simon, Oliver, and Henry :)

♥ms.pacman♥
02-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Henry all the way.

:yeahthat:

KpbS
02-26-2013, 03:38 PM
I like Henry better than Oliver (reminds me of the musical we did in HS even though it's a popular name now). What about Robert? I love that name and tried to persuade DH for DS2 but he was casual friends with a guy at the time and didn't want to go that route. Of course, now we live no where near that guy but oh well! I love DS2's name too. ;)

Tenasparkl
02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
I picked Henry, but I like them both. We know quite a few kids with both of those names (2 Henrys and at least 5 or 6 Olivers).

ourbabygirl
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
I love traditional/ classic names, too, and like both of your choices, but prefer Henry.
If you're not totally set on those, though, would you be open to other possibilities like

Thomas
Michael
William
Robert (like PP suggested)
Andrew
David
Peter
Daniel
Ryan
?

I actually have a harder time coming up with boys' 2- or 3-syllable names, rather than just 1-syllables.
I also really like Alex, like you, but thought it was too popular for my taste. Plus it could be a girl's name (Alexandra), and I'm not crazy about names that could go either way.

SASM
02-26-2013, 04:44 PM
I love both...sorry!! We had the same issue. Don't stress unless you are ordering personalized stuff now...Choose after he's born and you see him!! Good luck with the L&D!! :)

daisymommy
02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Love them both! And I think they both suit your family style well too (from what I know of you). Ether one would be a great pick!

Sent from my iPad

citymama
02-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I love Henry, but I'm also thinking Benjamin would go with the 3 syllabic names of the siblings (and mom).

Every time I see this thread I start to sing "Oliver, Oliver, never before has a boy wanted more..." so I think little Olivers might get this as well!

AnnieW625
02-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I love both...sorry!! We had the same issue. Don't stress unless you are ordering personalized stuff now...Choose after he's born and you see him!! Good luck with the L&D!! :)

Agree with this 100%. We had to play the alphabet game (name a name from each letter) at least twice after DD2 was born and we finally decided on a name.

HannaAddict
02-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Love them both. I think both are wonderful and go well with your other children's names. If I had to pick, maybe Oliver, but it is pretty close. Exciting to be so close to meeting your new baby boy!

HannaAddict
02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Actually, when you deliver I bet it will become clear if he's an Oliver or Henry within minutes to an hour. :)

HannaAddict
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
We also know an amazing Oliver in K and a couple others around and have never heard anyone use "Ollie" ever - they are definitely "Oliver's.".

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Actually, when you deliver I bet it will become clear if he's an Oliver or Henry within minutes to an hour. :)

Yes! We didn't have our name picked out for ds2. I had a list of 5 possibilities. We were able to toss some immediately after meeting the little guy. I actually kind of liked waiting and meeting him before choosing the name.

goldenpig
02-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Yes! We didn't have our name picked out for ds2. I had a list of 5 possibilities. We were able to toss some immediately after meeting the little guy. I actually kind of liked waiting and meeting him before choosing the name.

I really hope that's the case! For both of our other kids we had the name set before delivery.

I've actually seen his face already--we did a 3D/4D ultrasound and got some cool pictures! Does this help narrow it down between the choices?
http://cdn4.youlookfab.com/upload/images/c0362c2eb4f59c9c20f2f9b3546b1f89954_image.jpg
http://cdn3.youlookfab.com/upload/images/e180eca0edca19e00a4711d11da4257f623_image.jpg

DH sent me an email today and referred to the baby as Henry...so maybe he's getting more and more used to the idea?

DS, on the other hand, has been insisting this whole pregnancy that we name the baby Percy, after his favorite Thomas the Tank Engine train. It's SO cute to hear him say the name Percy that I was almost kind of considering it, but DH put his foot down and nixed it. Although Henry and Oliver are both names of other Thomas trains.

AnnieW625
02-26-2013, 06:53 PM
We told a few people if DD2 was girl we thought we were going to name her Lauren, but once she was born she didn't look like a Lauren to me so I was very grateful for the alone time after she was born to debate on a name.

Adorable photos. I don't think they would help me any to make a name decision.

Tenasparkl
02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Now he looks like an Oliver to me :)

Such a cutie already!

goldenpig
02-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Ha! I can see why :)

3 boys here...Simon, Oliver, and Henry :)

That's a cool sib set! Love the names together!

I love traditional/ classic names, too, and like both of your choices, but prefer Henry.
If you're not totally set on those, though, would you be open to other possibilities like

Thomas
Michael
William
Robert (like PP suggested)
Andrew
David
Peter
Daniel
Ryan
?

I actually have a harder time coming up with boys' 2- or 3-syllable names, rather than just 1-syllables.
I also really like Alex, like you, but thought it was too popular for my taste. Plus it could be a girl's name (Alexandra), and I'm not crazy about names that could go either way.

I agree, not too fond of androgynous names. Daniel is too close to Nathaniel (sometimes people call him Daniel by mistake). A lot of more common traditional names are out for me because while I like the full name (Thomas, James, etc) I don't like the nicknames (Tommy, Jimmy).

I love Henry, but I'm also thinking Benjamin would go with the 3 syllabic names of the siblings (and mom).

Every time I see this thread I start to sing "Oliver, Oliver, never before has a boy wanted more..." so I think little Olivers might get this as well!

Yes, we all have longer names (3 syllables for me and DH, 4 for DD and DS). It's hard to think of more 4 syllable boy names though, besides Alexander. I like Jeremiah, but DH doesn't (when I bring it up he says "...was a bullfrog"). As for 3 syllables, I do really like Benjamin, but for some reason DH doesn't (thinks it sounds too "nice guy"). DH always comes up with these random reasons to shoot down my suggestions!

I have to say, the internet is evil sometimes! I looked up the Oliver song after PP mentioned it (never saw the movie/musical) and the lyrics are horrible!
"Oliver! Oliver!
Never before has a boy wanted more!
Oliver! Oliver!
Won't ask for more when he knows what's in store.
There a dark, thin, winding stairway
Without any banister
Which we'll throw him down,
And feed him on
Cockroaches served in a canister
O-li-ver! O-li-ver!
What will he do when he's turned black and blue?
He will rue the day
Somebody named him
O-li-ver!"

And I looked up the other names (esp Zachary) and there are links to serial killers and a bunch of other criminal mugshots when you combine them with our last name (which can also be used as a middle name). Ugh!

georgiegirl
02-26-2013, 07:34 PM
I think he looks like a Henry. I like both names by the way.

Boys names are so much harder than girl names. We used up the only boy name we agreed on when DS was born. But now we need to think of a new one. Ugh.

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
It was temperament that made our decision not looks. :)

Snow mom
02-26-2013, 08:19 PM
I really like Benjamin but we had to nix all b names. How about Timothy? Brandon? Zachary? I'll keep thinking...

ETA: those 3d photos are amazing.

specialp
02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
I voted Oliver, but honestly feel like you cannot go wrong with either! Great names that go well with your others. It would've been so much easier if you had a dude name as an option, but they are both great!!

pomegranate
02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
I didn't vote because I love both names! Maybe you should try out with middle and last names. And also test out initials. I have a friend who wanted to have Oliver be a middle name but then she realized the initials would be "C.O.C." so they went with Edward instead.

smilequeen
02-26-2013, 10:05 PM
If it matters, no one EVER mentions the song or cousin Oliver or whatever to my Oliver. Most people just compliment his name. It really really fits him.

Your picture (adorable!!!!) makes me think of Oliver because he has his thumb in his mouth the way my Oliver did even in ultrasounds (until he was exactly 1 and he quit).

hellokitty
02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
What a great 3d/4d u/s! Usually, they don't look that great, but your little guy looks adorable! I think he looks like a Henry for sure based on your pics. :)

ourbabygirl
02-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Just wanted to pop back in to say thanks for sharing the picture of him! He's simply adorable, and I'm so excited for you to be able to hold him in your arms!
And I agree with seeing how the name will go with your (chosen?) middle name for him, and also how the initials will look. And can you imagine yelling his name through your house, or back yard, or at the park or something? ;) I don't mean for it to sound crude, but, like, if you can imagine saying his name in those instances and not feeling like it's 'too much,' you know? And can you imagine calling him by his full name each time, or do you think you and your family would end up giving him a nickname? I would think Henry might lend itself better to being said quickly, but maybe not since your other kids have longer names (more syllables). If you follow maestramommy's/ Bill Cosby's quote, you should name him Henry. :loveeyes:

abh5e8
02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
I LOVE Henry. it was dd's boy name (and is my grandpa's name).

buttercup
02-26-2013, 11:04 PM
I love both!! Cannot pick. If I had to, Olivier because Henry has become very trendy.

BDKmom
02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
I agree with everyone else that they are both great names. I think that Oliver goes better with your other names (I like the common "L"), but having cousin Olive would be a deal breaker for me. I would go with Henry.

The pics are precious! I'm sure that you and your family will find the perfect name for him!

oneplustwo
02-26-2013, 11:40 PM
I didn't vote and didn't read any replies. I LOVE both names and the reason I didn't vote is because my choice is not up there ~ I would use both names! That is, name the baby Henry as the first name and Oliver as the middle name. I love how they flow together, and if your last name is short, the longer middle name would be just right and balance out the whole name. Of course not at all what you asked and you probably have another name picked out for the middle name, but that would be my choice . . . Henry Oliver!

lhafer
02-27-2013, 08:23 AM
I didn't vote and didn't read any replies. I LOVE both names and the reason I didn't vote is because my choice is not up there ~ I would use both names! That is, name the baby Henry as the first name and Oliver as the middle name. I love how they flow together, and if your last name is short, the longer middle name would be just right and balance out the whole name. Of course not at all what you asked and you probably have another name picked out for the middle name, but that would be my choice . . . Henry Oliver!

:yeahthat: both names are fantastic! I prefer Henry slightly more, but think Oliver goes slightly better with the rest of the sib names.

So I would do Henry Oliver ______ as well. Or Oliver Henry _____ if initials are a concern the other way. And I would probably say both names most of the time, but I'm a double name kid of gal. :). My DD1 has a John Henry in her class, and that's what he goes by. Love it.

lizzywednesday
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
I have to say, the internet is evil sometimes! I looked up the Oliver song after PP mentioned it (never saw the movie/musical) and the lyrics are horrible!

Yep, the lyrics are pretty grim.

It's a Broadway show based on a Charles Dickens novel about an orphan who's born in a workhouse & ends up in a street gang of pickpockets.

It was our "All School" musical my sophomore year of high school; fun show, but dreadfully depressing.

Momit
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Love the Henry Oliver idea!

gamma
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
I think if we knew what middle name you were planning on using, it might help us give an opinion if we like Henry or Oliver better. I also like Henry Oliver!

Reader
02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
I like them both but love Henry. Probably would have used it but doesn't go with our last name (too alliterative).

goldenpig
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM

I think if we knew what middle name you were planning on using, it might help us give an opinion if we like Henry or Oliver better. I also like Henry Oliver!

Henry Oliver sounds nice together! Actually we are going to use a Hawaiian middle name, as both of our previous kids have Hawaiian middle names (we're not Hawaiian but we just like Hawaii a lot) and DD and DS share one syllable of the middle name. So the mn most likely will start with K and be three syllables. Our last name is one syllable. Not sure if 2-3-1 is better or 3-3-1. The other two have 4-3-1 syllables.

indigo99
02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm not a fan of Henry, and it hasn't grown on me even though my friend has a son named Henry. I voted Oliver although I'd probably still be looking for alternatives because I do think that both names are a bit too hip right now. I really liked Benjamin and got used to thinking/talking of DS as "baby Ben" before he was born so I think that I influenced DH's opinion of the name. Sounds like you're doing the same with the name Henry and your DH.

eta: I know another baby Ben, but his name is Bennett.

oneplustwo
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Henry Oliver sounds nice together! Actually we are going to use a Hawaiian middle name, as both of our previous kids have Hawaiian middle names (we're not Hawaiian but we just like Hawaii a lot) and DD and DS share one syllable of the middle name. So the mn most likely will start with K and be three syllables. Our last name is one syllable. Not sure if 2-3-1 is better or 3-3-1. The other two have 4-3-1 syllables.

Okay, so just give the baby all four names: Henry Oliver [Hawaiian middle name] [surname] ~ problem solved, LOL!

It sounds like you and DH are settling on Henry. As I said, I love both equally for your situation. If you're still experimenting with other name ideas, how about Sebastian? I think it goes nicely with your other DC's names and think it would flow well with a mn starting with K; it's also longer and it doesn't lend itself to ugly nicknames that I know of.

gatorsmom
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
I have a Henry and we don't call him a nickname. I get compliments on his name all the time. But Oliver is cute too. I wouldn't be deterred from using Oliver even with a cousin named Olive. GL!

gatorsmom
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
I like Henry.

It's Indiana Jones's actual first name ... and how could Indy be bland???

My son Henry is soooooo proud of this fact. He runs around proudly saying "mom, my name is not Henry Lastname, my name is Henry Jones Junior!"

Momit
02-27-2013, 03:26 PM
My son Henry is soooooo proud of this fact. He runs around proudly saying "mom, my name is not Henry Lastname, my name is Henry Jones Junior!"

Cool! Never knew that about Indiana Jones. The things you learn on the BBB.

queenmama
02-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm having a difficult time voting!

My almost-13-year-old is Henry, so I obviously love that one, but I like the 3-syllables of Oliver with your other kids' names!

I haven't read the other responses, but here are some other names that come to mind for your little prince, and yes, I'm leaning towards 3 syllables!:

Sebastian
Everett
Theodore (omg, swoon! And Theo is a super cute nn!)
Benjamin
Elias
Frederick (I know, it sounds stuffy, but so did Henry in 1999 and it's hot now! Be a trendsetter! haha!)
Gabriel
Julian
Elliot/t
Xavier

Have you looked at Nameberry? They seem to keep up with the trends better than BNW, though it isn't as scientific as BNW's charts! Henry is definitely towards the top of the charts the past few years. Funny, since we chose it specifically because nobody was using it! Who knew? Felix was our boy name for Agnes. It's very hot now, too, but it was my grandpa's name so we didn't care.

Good luck! I can't believe you're so close!

cilantromapuche
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
I love both names.

goldenpig
03-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Update: We went with Henry!
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=455717

DH was telling the L&D nurses his name was Henry even before I had a chance to take a good look at him (he had meconium so the pediatricians grabbed him first to make sure he was OK), so I guess he came around to the name after all. I think he does look more like a Henry than an Oliver, though, so I'm glad DH agreed.

gatorsmom
03-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Congratulations! And of course I think the name is very cool! :boogie:

We still don't know a lot of Henrys around here. My Henry is the only one we know. Besides Indy, of course. :tongue5:

janine
03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Great choice! Oliver is a great name too but becoming v. popular.

Henry can also be Harry which is a hot name right now!

Congrats :).