PDA

View Full Version : Do you line your cabinets with a liner?

gatorsmom
02-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Kitchen cabinets? Bathroom cabinets? I've unpacked my way over to the kitchen, now and I'm about to start organizing the kitchen. I'm not talking the sticky contact paper, more like a nonadhesive, plastic drawer liner. In my last house the inside of our cabinets were rough so I lined them with contact paper so that I could wipe them if they got wet or dusty. The cabinets interiors in our new house are smooth so I'm tempted not to line them (it's so much work). But I'm worrying about dishes still damp from the dishwasher warping the wood. Do you think they are treated for that? Should I bother with the contact paper? I bought a few rolls of the nonadhesive kind and I lined our mudroom shoe drawers with them but I'm hoping I don't have to do that everywhere. Wwyd? Maybe line the bathroom drawers too (becuase you just know there is going to be wet, messy toothpaste and toothbrushes thrown in those drawers)?

I'm using this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003OZ47HK/ref=mw_dp_img?is=l&qid=1361891704&sr=8-1

twowhat?
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
We do line some of them but I prefer to line cabinets in butcher paper, and then switch out of the paper when it gets dirty. Or at least the grippy breathable liners that don't stick. I line just what will get dirty often (spice cabinet is a good one, and the one that holds cooking oils - so are bathroom cabinets. I don't line cabinets that just store clean dishware).

I HATE HATE HATE that contact paper or whatever it's called sticky shelf liner that you stick on. Nothing should ever be STUCK ON, IMO:) After trying to scrape off the horribly patterned contact paper from the previous owners...and then finding ANOTHER horribly patterned layer underneath that one...

As for damp dishes - we never put away anything that isn't thoroughly dry. We have a "drying space" above the dishwasher (just a clean kitchen towel) where I put clean dishes that are still damp from the dishwasher. After they are completely dry, then I put them away. Or if I'm in a hurry I will dry the dishes with a dishtowel before putting away. Dampness in cabinets isn't good...even if the wood didn't warp you could get mold growth.

jjordan
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
NO! Yuck. I don't like having contact paper in my cupboards, especially nice new cupboards (and drawers). You could put little plastic boxes (lids off) or drawer organizers in the bathroom drawers if you're going to have wet toothbrushes in there.

gatorsmom
02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
NO! Yuck. I don't like having contact paper in my cupboards, especially nice new cupboards (and drawers). You could put little plastic boxes (lids off) or drawer organizers in the bathroom drawers if you're going to have wet toothbrushes in there.

The contact paper I have is the nonadhesive kind. It's like a flexible cutting sheet. You can take it out and wipe it off. Does that make a difference?

twowhat?
02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
The contact paper I have is the nonadhesive kind. It's like a flexible cutting sheet. You can take it out and wipe it off. Does that make a difference?

I think this is totally fine.

But I LOVE this idea!!!! Stealing it!!! I like the clean look of unlined drawers and cabinets. LOVE this idea!

minnie-zb
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM

I like that stuff and it works really well -- I have it in my cabinets under the sinks. Since your cabinets are new, I wouldn't worry so much about lining all of them. I would be strategic and only use the liner you have in places where it might get wet.

squimp
02-26-2013, 11:29 AM
I do. I thought everyone used shelf liners - it is something I learned from my mom. But I have been totally am grossed out when I move into a house where people have not used them. Liners (not contact paper) protect those lovely cabinets from getting all scratched and dirty. I had to scrub and scrub and scrub the bathroom drawers in our new house. Blech!

BunnyBee
02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
I have that ribbed liner you linked in our cabinets. It also helps protect against chipping when kids enthusiastically put away cups, etc.

I love the Container Store's Linus drawer organizers for the bathroom drawers. I measured the drawer then picked an arrangement that fit best, buying a few extra for options. I also put them in the utensil drawers in the kitchen and they've been so great.

egoldber
02-26-2013, 11:35 AM
I prefer to use drawer organizers and it seems redundant with those.

katydid1971
02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I have the liner you are using in the cabinets that house my dishes and glasses but otherwise I don't line my cupboards. They are melamine on the inside so clean up isn't too hard.

hellokitty
02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I bought a two ok of shelf liner at tjmaxx a few wks ago. I tried to use the grippy, non stick Rubbermaid stuff and it looks awful. It shifts all over the place, due to it gripping onto whatever I'm removing from the cabinet. So I'm hoping that the plain shelf liner will work better.

kristenk
02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Just skip it. I think that really wet or messy areas can benefit from some sort of protection, whether that be a liner or a container, but most cabinets and drawers don't contain wet or messy items.

I lined all of our old cabinets b/c they were just sort of icky and I didn't trust that they were really clean. I was so thrilled when we got new cabinetry and I didn't have to deal with liners!

Plastic cups and containers are the main things that have trouble drying in my dishwasher. I'll either wipe them off before putting them away or just leave them out on a drying mat for a while.

I had the same kind of liner you linked to. It's fabulous and very heavy-duty. The only problem I had with it was that stuff can get stuck between the raised lines so cleaning it off was a little more involved than I thought it would be!

MizMojoLaveau
02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
I love the lifeliner with the ridges for air circulation. Put it in my kitchen (but not in the bathrooms).
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/search/search.aspx/lifeliner/?sstr=lifeliner&grid=20&dim=1&nty=1&

MizMojoLaveau
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
OP, just looked at the liner you are using and it looks just like the lifeliner I recommended.