PDA

View Full Version : Good kids (twin-sized) mattresses?

twowhat?
02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
We just ordered a couple of PBK beds from their sale and they are coming faster than I thought they would...they'll be here this week, LOL, and we don't have twin mattresses yet! We only need the mattress (bed does not require box springs). Is IKEA our best bet? I'd like one that will last but I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars. How have people liked the latex blend mattresses at IKEA? Though now that I'm looking, the IKEA latex mattresses can be kind of pricey... I'm not concerned about organic/all-natural or anything like that. Just want a good mattress that will last several years.

Also, are there other places to look for bedding other than PBK, PB teen, LON, TCS, IKEA? I definitely want quality bedding (no Target - they have cute stuff but it doesn't really last) but nothing from these stores is jumping out at me. And the girls definitely want PINK PINK and MORE PINK! I want it to coordinate and look nice:)

brittone2
02-26-2013, 11:23 AM
DD has a natural latex blend from Ikea (85/15 I think?). It wasn't inexpensive. We've had it for 3 years and have been happy with it.

When we needed a new twin for DS2, I went with a 100% natural latex Sleep EZ mattress. It is less expensive than Ikea and 100% vs. a blend. It was recommended a few times here, and I am really happy with our purchase so far. DH and I sleep on a Savvy Rest, but if I had known about Sleep EZ at the time, we might have gone that route. We love our Savvy Rest too though.

I think the Sleep Ez twin was about $600.

Latex should theoretically hold up well. It is a bit pricier, but it seems like so many people have been unhappy with newer mattresses in the last few years. Maybe with kids they find it is less of an issue (lower weight, less of an issue with indentations and so forth). We haven't purchased a non latex mattress in the last decade, so I can't really compare. Latex is really heavy, but you don't have to rotate.

Indianamom2
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
We got Ds's from Sam's Club last summer. It was a Serta (or maybe Sealy)...can't remember, but it was pretty cheap and way more comfy than the cheap one we got from Penney's for DD years ago.

As for bedding...maybe keep an eye out at TJMaxx/Marshall's. We bought a pretty pink/green/white quilt set for DD's bed about 5 years ago for not much money at all and after much washing, it has held up beautifully. During spring time, they often have pretty quilt sets around here anyway.

On the other hand, I bought a quilt for Ds from PemAmerica that was highly rated. I ended up returning the first one after the first washing because it got a hole and a bunch of frayed stitching. Now the second one (used a few months) has a hole, but it's too late to return.

AnnieW625
02-26-2013, 12:45 PM
We got DD2's mattress at Costco, it is the Sealy Bellbrook Firm set. It has a box spring and was $299 on special. We didn't really need the box spring, but it was a much nicer mattress than the $100 special mattress they had at the same time.

PunkyBoo
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I believe Costco is now selling mattresses without the box spring. 2 of the three beds in our house are Costco Sealy mattresses and we are pleased with them.

twowhat?
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Oooh Costco has a Sealy 2-pack for only $429! I'm considering something like that, and then maybe buy a natural latex topper for it...though the latex topper is nearly as expensive as a latex mattress...

http://www.costco.com/Sealy-Dearborne-Twin-Mattress-2-pack.product.11701776.html