PDA

View Full Version : trick to pump more milk?

wangstar
02-26-2013, 11:55 AM
The great thing about the internet is that there is such a wealth of information. However, because of the wealth of information, I often find opposite recommendations.:6::6::6:

So, which way will I get more milk out when pumping; one side at time or double pumping? How long should the session last, 10, 15 or 20 min?

edurnemk
02-26-2013, 12:08 PM
The 2 books I have say at least 15 minutes per side (The Nursing Mother's companion, and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding)

No idea about one at a time vs. double pumping, but most moms on this board who pump regularly use a double pump). I would think it shouldn't make a difference, but who knows.

AngB
02-26-2013, 12:19 PM
I always get the most when I have ds nursing on 1 side while I pump the other, he only eats on one side a feeding so this works well for us.

AshUVA
02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
I always pumped both sides at once as to be more efficient with my time. I would pump until the bottles were full or until there was no more coming out. In the beginning I'd fill the bottles in under 10 mins, after a year I was producing a lot less and it took a lot longer to get it!

lizzywednesday
02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
It depends.

Are you still on maternity leave? You can use a lot of pumps one-sided. For example, the Pump In Style Advanced (PISA) has a "socket" cover that makes it easier to pump a single side while Baby nurses. It's a flexible doohickey that you use to cover the 2nd tube port.

Have you returned to work? Take photos and/or cell videos of your baby with you into the pump room & look at them while pumping. Really. It works.

Play with the speed & suction. Remember that faster speed/more suction does not necessarily mean more milk!

Be sure that you're using the correct size flanges (commonly referred to here as "horns") - if they are too small, they will give you friction burns - trust me, I know from experience! If they are too large, you don't get the best seal and your pump suction suffers.

You can also try breast compressions to ensure you're fully emptying the breast, though this is difficult to do if you're trying to use a hands-free bra/bustier. (It can be done, but then your pumping time isn't exactly hands-free.)

In addition to physical things to do, you can also try eating/taking galactalogues like oatmeal, fenugreek and any number of "Mother's Milk" teas. Stay hydrated and get accustomed to pumping. It's not easy and a pump doesn't work like a baby does.

Also, keep in mind that babies go through a growth spurt around 8 weeks, so if your baby is fussy and eating "constantly" it doesn't mean you're under-producing; it means he needs to eat more often to support the growth spurt.

Hope this helps!

rin
02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
So, which way will I get more milk out when pumping; one side at time or double pumping? How long should the session last, 10, 15 or 20 min?

I get the most double pumping; one side at a time seems to have reduced output for the second side. I suspect it's something to do with the letdown cycle.

I honestly just pump until I'm not getting any more milk; it's usually about 5-10 minutes. If you're trying to increase your supply you can pump longer, though. I do breast compressions at the end to get the last of the milk out.

If you're having trouble with letdown, you can do manual nipple stimulation to help with letdown at the beginning.

wendibird22
02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Double pumping and if I really needed to get more I'd power pump. So I'd pump for ~5mins with the strongest let down and output, then turn off for 5 mins and then pump for 5mins then stop and repeat. I didn't do this all the time but it was a good way to boost output when needed.

Myira
02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
I am sure PP have very good suggestions. What helped me a lot is this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007159857X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER. She also has a website http://www.lowmilksupply.org/

-There are always things you can take, which lead to a dramatic increase - fenugreek and blessed thistle capsules.
-Pump as often as you can, since the emptier the breast the accelerated the rate of production , also fattier the milk.
-Use a hands free bra so that you can do compression and massage while you are pumping which absolutely helps empty better.

Mommy_Mea
02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
I definitely got the most output when DS1 was nursing on one side and I was pumping on the other, I think body is already in letdown mode, and you are smelling and seeing the baby, so your body reacts.

But at work, I pumped both sides at the same time for efficiency, had a whole slew of pictures and videos of the boys to look at, and often a piece of clothing that smelled like them. It really makes a difference! Seriously, I would be pumping without doing that, then start looking at pictures and the milk would go crazy.

Also, massaging the ducts can really help as well.

gcc2k
02-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Lots of great advice from PPs so far. I just want to add that if I pumped a little longer, say 15-20 minutes, I could usually get a second let down. I would pump until I was dry, then leave the pump on a few more minutes until I let down again. I wouldn't get tons more, but hey, every once counts!