PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to patch stucco?

crl
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
We have a couple of minor exterior issues that will require patching stucco. (One is where a circuit box had to be moved to meet code and the other is that the front porch light needs to be replaced but the shape and size of the current fixture backplate combined with the size of the space available for a fixture is an impossible combination.). We aren't from places where stucco is common so we have no idea how hard it is to do it well. The front porch spot is very prominent so I would want it to look like it was never patched.

Is this something a decent handyman could do, or do I need to be looking for a more specialized professional?

I'm not so worried about the paint as they painted the place to put it on the market--so less than a year ago and I have the paint color name and type so I think we can match that up.

Thanks!
Catherine

TwinFoxes
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
My DH did a lot of stucco patches himself at our LA house (land of stucco!) I'd say a handyman can do it if neither you nor your DH wants to give it a go. They sell patch kits at Home Depot.

crl
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
My DH did a lot of stucco patches himself at our LA house (land of stucco!) I'd say a handyman can do it if neither you nor your DH wants to give it a go. They sell patch kits at Home Depot.

Thanks! :). Dh is pretty handy so I am sure he could do it, but just doesn't have time. And I'm not so handy and encumbered with a two year old.

I just remembered that we do have a local contractor coming to rebuild the built in planter box. I'm thinking I will give him a nudge to get over here and do it and ask how much it would cost to have his guys install the new fixture and patch the stucco at the same time.

We have been going in circles with the front light for weeks now and I just want it done.

Catherine

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
My experience they will not guarantee a color match will probably need to repaint the area

crl
02-26-2013, 03:42 PM
My experience they will not guarantee a color match will probably need to repaint the area

Yeah, I am not that worried about that. It's hard to explain, but there is a small area where the light fixture is and then there are changes of plane, trim work, etc. So since we have the paint specs and it was done recently, it should work to paint a small area and not have any slight color variation be noticeable.

Catherine

s7714
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
They make a tube product that is made for small stucco patches. You load it in a caulking gun and go to town. It has the texture built in. We used it to seal a hole near a A/C box and a couple other spots. You definitely have to paint over it to make it match, but IIRC there were a couple of tints available.