PDA

View Full Version : Would you paint or leave white? What color would you choose?

bisous
02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
I love our playroom. It has A LOT of color already including a large rug with 16 squares each a different bright color. Architecturally, it is very unsubstantial. We have a popcorn ceiling that I can't really fix (renting and radiant ceiling panels). The walls are currently a very nice white that matches the vertical blinds. The vertical blinds aren't lovely or what I would pick necessarily but they do function nicely and I'm not planning on replacing them.

On the other hand, we have 3 white expedit bookcases in the room and colored walls would make the "pop" so to speak. Then, I'm not really sure what color to use. I don't want to clash with the rug or toys but have no intention of a primary type color on the walls although dramatic color is okay. I'm thinking neutral. I'm not digging the gray trend but I could be persuaded.

WWYD? Would you paint? What color?

almostmom
02-26-2013, 04:06 PM
What about painting just that wall with a bright red, or orange or blue (or grey I guess...)? That way you can keep the bright white of the other walls, but have the bookshelves pop?

It doesn't sound to me like a neutral makes sense in that space.

bisous
02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
I thought about that! The wall with the expedits (well 2 of them) has both 2x4 units placed long ways so there is a large amount of wall above. That wall is visible from the living room and from the front door. It sounds less than ideal but actually the playroom/living room space is visually very appealing. I can see how having some color on the wall there would be nice.

I should probably upload pics. Is there a way to do that with an iphone?

elbenn
02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
What colors are in the rug? I think colored walls in a playroom would be fun and they would make the expedit pop.

mikala
02-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Do you have to repaint when you leave? If so I'd bring in color with art, maybe curtains.

bisous
02-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I do have to repaint but I'm planning on staying here for a long, long time so to me it would be worth it!

On the other hand, the LL painted this place the loveliest white. I do like that color. Curtains and art would certainly bring color. The place is ALREADY a lovely room. I think the only reason I'm even consider painting is because of the WHITE expedit and the WHITE room.

bisous
02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
I just took a picture of the room with my phone. Any ideas how I can imbed this in the post? I've done it once before (the "what do you look like thread" but I can't remember how I did it??

mikala
02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Could you add a colored backing to the expedit? I'm thinking something like this:
http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2011/11/bookshelves-complete/

bisous
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
That is completely gorgeous, mikala! Our expedits are pretty jammed with books so the main "background" is actually the blank space above 2 2x4 units set longwise. I actually LOVE the color of that background in the picture you linked, though. It would coordinate with the rug in the playroom and the throw pillows in the living room that flanks it...hmmm