PDA

View Full Version : s/o: what is your work schedule/commute/office location?

AnnieW625
02-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I work in an office, M-F from 7 to 4 pm (although recently traffic has been really sucky so I am getting to the office closer to 7:30). I commute 25 miles each way.

poll explanations: if you work full time, but work from home, but also work in an office chose both "I work at home" and "I work in an office" (or "I work on the road."). Oh and if you work in a hospital/police station/other non traditional location where you have a desk or small work space, but don't work from home or work from the road choose office as well.

I ran out of room so no commute time or miles related questions.

hillview
02-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I work from home M-F except when I am traveling. :) I travel about 30% of the time.

MamaMolly
02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
I work 24-7, on call all the time. Commute is super easy, I just roll out of bed and BAM I'm at work. ;)

ellies mom
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Well, I have a new job since I got laid off from my last one. I am "pool nurse" for a corporation that owns several skilled nursing and elder care facilities. Basically, its an on-call position but I work a whatever facility I'm needed at rather than just one. I set my own availability (days and shifts) which is nice and I can limit how far I'm willing to travel. Hours aren't guaranteed so it will likely be part-time but that is fine. I'm just excited that I don't have to work Sundays anymore.

vludmilla
02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
M-F
7:50-3
15 minute commute

codex57
02-26-2013, 07:44 PM
M-F

9:30am - 7:30/8:30pm realistically on a good day.

30 minute commute in morning (25ish miles). 45 min - 1 hour at night.

The nice thing is, I can technically just come in for 1 hour and have it counted as a full day. The bad thing is, I'm realistically here a LOT longer than 8 hours a day. I'm here til 11pm usually at least one day a week.

BayGirl2
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Work from home 85% of the time.
Travel or go to local clients the rest of the time.

I also work somewhat shifted hours to align with the East coast. I start around 6 or 7 am most days and finish around 5ish, or earlier if I need to.

egoldber
02-26-2013, 08:09 PM
I work in an office, M-F, 7:30/8 - 4/4:30.

I am an "ad hoc" teleworker, in that I can telework, but I don't have a scheduled telework day. On average I telework about 2-3 days a month.

My office is about 25 miles from my house and it's a 40 minute commute from backing out of the garage to sitting at my desk.

citymama
02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
I work 4 days/week from home, plus lots of after hours and some work on weekends. I travel off and on.

elliput
02-26-2013, 08:33 PM
I work 24-7, on call all the time. Commute is super easy, I just roll out of bed and BAM I'm at work. ;)

:yeahthat: My employers are pretty demanding though. :dizzy:

edurnemk
02-26-2013, 09:40 PM

:yeahthat: LOL

Before DD was born I worked PT, M-F 9am to 1 pm, in an office setting, 10 minutes away from home. I chose my schedule so I only worked while DS was in preschool.

knaidel
02-26-2013, 10:16 PM
I work, in general, M-F- 40 hours a week. I am Jewish (Orthodox), so I try to put in more hours M-Th so I can "leave" early on Friday.
I telework most of the time. My company found it is cheaper to give us all laptops rather than pay for office space. I have an office I go to around 1x per week-- we have "hotel cubes" that we can use for when we're in the office, conference rooms, etc...
My office is 50 miles away. On public transportation it takes a long time to get there! drive to commuter rail, commuter rail (1 hour), subway from train station, walk from station. Door to door, it takes about 1 hour, 45 minutes! Thats why I do it AT MOST once a week.

BDKmom
02-26-2013, 11:19 PM
I was M-F until I had DS. Now I am M-Thurs, 8-5. My pay was adjusted accordingly, but I am still considered full time, so I get benefits.

I am in a healthcare profession, so no option to work at home. My commute is 35-40 minutes each way.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-26-2013, 11:27 PM
I work from home M-F except when I am traveling. :) I travel about 30% of the time.

this is DH. me, i work in an office M-F, commute time is an even 30 minutes (traffic is minimal), which being from California, i know i should be happy about :) My hours are nominally 8-5 though it's been more like 830-530 lately.

StantonHyde
02-27-2013, 12:18 AM
I work 2 days a week, sometimes more--just depends. 8:30-5 in an office. Commute is 5 mins but when kids are in school, it is more like 30 by the time I drop off 2 places and get to work. Summer I drop off one place, so it adds an extra 5 mins.

I come in sometimes for meetings if I have to. I also respond to emails on my days off. I can work at home--I did today because I have a sick kiddo. But if I have to be there, I have to be there. It's all very flexible--but then a few times a year that means I work over the weekends to get stuff done. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

I am hourly so I don't get benefits and I have not had a raise in 10 years. But I have a flexible schedule and I love the people with whom I work. It's hard to find a PT professional job and I am grateful to have it.

Mali
02-27-2013, 03:25 AM
I technically work M-F in an office and have a 15minute commute, but I'm not going back after my maternity leave due to their complete lack of flexibility.

We all have laptops and sit in hotelling stations instead of real desks, but none of the admin/support group is allowed to work from home even though the entire rest of the company telecommutes and we never have clients in our office. Sadly, this is a small woman-owned business that she created because she didn't like the lack of work-life balance at the big firm and yet she created a company with no work-life balance for anyone who isn't a consultant or executive.

twowhat?
02-27-2013, 09:37 AM
I work FT from my home office unless I am traveling.

Or unless I am at Discount Tire like I was yesterday to get a nail removed/tire patched:) I'm all set up to work anywhere, so I had my computer and personal wireless router with me while I waited for the minivan to get done.

g-mama
02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I voted that I work 24/7. A year ago, I went from being a SAHM to being a business owner of a food establishment. I'm in the store most every single day for 5-8 hours, but up to 13 hours (open to close) if necessary. I also do paperwork and phone calls from home a lot, too. If someone calls out sick or we get an extra side job, even if I'm "off," I'm never off.

It takes me 15 minute to get there from home so that's very convenient.

JElaineB
02-27-2013, 10:20 AM
I work in an office, usually 7:45-4:45 pm. I'm supposed to get an hour for lunch but I don't take that long every day. My commute is 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. DH drops me off so I don't even have to find a parking spot.

lizzywednesday
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I work full-time, "8a-4p" M/W/F, 7:30a-3:30p Tu/Th.

I telecommute M/W/F and am in an office about an hour and a quarter away on Tu/Th. (Round-trip distance is 100 miles & half a tank of gas; my car holds 15 gallons and gas is roughly $3.50/gallon in my local area.)

While I like my teammates, I don't feel it's absolutely necessary to drive to work every day.