PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get last-minute anxiety/jitters about upcoming delivery?

goldenpig
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm due in three days! I am so excited about this baby coming and have been this whole pregnancy. And yet there's this small, buried undercurrent of worrying that something is going to go horribly wrong at the last minute. It isn't preventing me from doing anything or making me depressed or obsessive (like I don't think I have clinical level anxiety), but it does make me cautious about being too outwardly excited/happy, just in case things don't go well...maybe that's just being too superstitious? Or is it normal to be worried about the upcoming L&D?

I think it started when I was pregnant with DD. I would always hear stories from other people about miscarriages/stillbirths/SIDS deaths (either their own, or more commonly about people they knew). I don't know why people feel compelled to share these stories with pregnant women! Sometimes (not often) I would get in these weird jags where I would look up "stillbirth stories" on the internet, read about all these women who lost their babies and get so sad for them. But then I would think it's really bad luck to be obsessing about something like that and stop.

But then I've also had several instances of "near misses" or survivor guilt. When DD was born, a work colleague of DH's had a baby at the same time, same hospital as us but the baby ended up dying unexpectedly at 1 week old from an enterovirus infection that caused sepsis. That freaked me out, especially as a first time parent of a newborn. I remember being so worried about SIDS that we bought one of those Angelcare breathing monitor alarms (which did nothing but scare us every time she rolled off the sensor, so we got rid of it). When DS was born, he had a few decels at the end and turns out had a double nuchal cord, the cord was wrapped around his neck twice. Fortunately he was the 2nd baby and came fast, but if he had been our first he would have likely had fetal distress (I had a long labor and pushed for 3 hours the first time) and might have had birth problems or required a C-section. And a few months ago one of my good friends had a stillbirth at 35 weeks (our daughters go to school together and we hang out together a lot and have kids the same age and were both pregnant at the same time with boys) and that really affected me and still does. I am so sad that they lost the baby and that we won't have a chance to have our babies grow up together (and worried that my baby will be a constant reminder to her of the one she lost). I had a mini-baby shower yesterday and she came to it, but I know it's got to be tough on her. I am worried about how she'll cope if/when this baby arrives. Yesterday she told me she is so excited for me and it will be healing for her to hold my baby, but I'm worried it'll just make her feel worse. And I know her experience is making me worried about my own baby (like I had to add the "if" in the previous sentence). I'm not worried about dealing with taking care of the newborn or any of that stuff since it's our third, but I just am worried that something will go wrong with the baby (or, less likely, me) during delivery. I feel like I can't totally relax until the baby's here and survives the first week. Anyone else get last minute jitters? Is this totally normal from all the emotions/hormones swirling around? How do you deal with it?

citymama
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
I haven't read your whole post because I need to run, but I HAD to post when I read this. Exactly 2 days before I gave birth, I started to have panic attacks about the birth. I posted here and people's replies were soooo very helpful in getting me more centered and calm. I went into full on mama ninja mode when labor began - in other words, I was fearless and single-minded when the time actually came. And the birth went really well. I am sure all will go well with baby boy's birth as well.

Your post prompted me to search for it with the search terms "panic + birth." You won't believe how many posts came up! Anyway, here's my post from May 2010 - 2 days before DD2 was born.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=358438&highlight=panic+birth

Your fears are totally normal. They might help juice you up for the big day - it might be part of the adrenaline and oxytocin rush that gets you going! We are so excited and happy for you.

:22:

ETA OMG goldenpig, you were one of my cheerleading mamas in that post! I want to frame it now - such a special and sentimental time.

MSWR0319
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
I had similar feelings right before DS2 was born last year. I hemorrhaged a week pp with DS1 and had to get a blood transfusion, so I was utterly scared something was going to go wrong this time during delivery to either the baby, me or both. Once we made it through delivery safely, I felt much better. I think your nerves are totally normal. I just kept trying to remind myself that I had chosen the best doctors I could and that the rest was out of my control.

blue
02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Yes. DS2 was born two months ago so the time before his birth is still fresh in my mind. A few weeks before his due date I started having horrible thoughts and dreams about him being still born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. I also had other fears about suddenly losing him in the birthing process, but none so vivid and terrifying to me as death by the umbilical cord.
I talked with DH about all the bad dreams and thoughts I was having at the time, and that did help me some. I also tried to stay busy and go out a lot with DS1 to help calm my nerves and take my mind off of it.....good luck, very exciting your baby will be here soon mama!

goldenpig
03-18-2013, 03:55 PM
I haven't read your whole post because I need to run, but I HAD to post when I read this. Exactly 2 days before I gave birth, I started to have panic attacks about the birth. I posted here and people's replies were soooo very helpful in getting me more centered and calm. I went into full on mama ninja mode when labor began - in other words, I was fearless and single-minded when the time actually came. And the birth went really well. I am sure all will go well with baby boy's birth as well.

Your post prompted me to search for it with the search terms "panic + birth." You won't believe how many posts came up! Anyway, here's my post from May 2010 - 2 days before DD2 was born.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=358438&highlight=panic+birth

Your fears are totally normal. They might help juice you up for the big day - it might be part of the adrenaline and oxytocin rush that gets you going! We are so excited and happy for you.

:22:

ETA OMG goldenpig, you were one of my cheerleading mamas in that post! I want to frame it now - such a special and sentimental time.

Citymama, thanks so much for the link to your thread. It helped me so much when I was nervous to read that thread and esp when I saw that I had posted there as well! It was like I was telling myself it was going to be OK! And thanks MSWR0319 and blue for your reassuring words as well. They really helped me get through the last few days of waiting. I'm so relieved everything went well! :grouphug: