PDA

View Full Version : To wash or not to wash- is this gross?

gatorsmom
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
We recently moved and I'm unpacking my kitchen today. I had professional movers pack up our kitchen. I watched the guys pack everything in clean packing paper but of course they had their hands all over everything. I'm wondering- do I absolutely have to wash everything I unpack before putting it away? I'll do several loads of dishes if I have to wash them all. I keep thinking that any germs they had on their hands are probably dead because the dishes have been in packing boxes for over a week.

I'm on the fence- I really just want to put the kitchenware away to save some work (and water) but I'm afraid I'll be skeeved out if I don't wash them.

Wwyd?

kristenk
02-26-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd wash them. I'd keep picturing grubby stuff on them if I didn't.

fauve01
02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
yes you have to wash it! Every time i move, i run *everything* through the dishwasher.

mommylamb
02-26-2013, 10:06 PM
No question. Wash them.

Ceepa
02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
You would have slapped those dishes into your cabinets without thinking if you didn't care.

Wash 'em.

mikala
02-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Wash them.

Seitvonzu
02-26-2013, 10:20 PM
i'd wash
(sorry)

JBaxter
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
I moved 12/31 and I ran everything through on Hot rinse. Pots and pans I ran under hot water before putting them away. PITA but made me feel better

sarahsthreads
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't pre-wash my new clothes ;) , but I'd definitely (and have, the two times we moved) wash all the dishes as I unpack them. And we were the ones that packed them, we didn't have movers! But we used newspaper as packing materials and I felt like that alone made them dirty. :shrug:

katydid1971
02-27-2013, 12:07 AM
I would unpack via the dish washer, unload into the dishwasher then put away, repeat.
What if one of the packers had a bad flu or something, I wouldn't feel comfortable not washing it first. I have Christmas china that I wash before I put it away and then wash before we use it agin the following year, with the dust etc, I just wouldn't want to eat from it otherwise.

AnnieW625
02-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Gosh I don't recall what I did when we had movers, but I think I washed things as needed.

tabegle
02-27-2013, 12:15 AM
I'll be the voice of dissent. You are probably super busy trying to put everything away and get the boxes moved out. Go ahead and put the dishes away. If you need to pull something out to use, give it a quick rinse.

Then, day by day, cycle through all your cabinets and run everything through the dishwasher. Maybe 1 or 2 loads a day. That will give you time to really figure out the best set up for dishes in the new kitchen.

fivi2
02-27-2013, 08:18 AM
I would wash my every day stuff now - before using/putting away. The stuff that I rarely use, I would put away and wash before using. (If you'll remember. Otherwise, wash now).

trales
02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
I would for two reasons, you asked the question, so it bugs you and you need to let yourself let this bug you and fix it, this is something you can control in a move where lots of stuff is out of your control.

2. Starting with clean, fresh, dust free stuff in your new house will feel really good in a few weeks and you will feel better in the long run.

onyx8
02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Wash them.

nfowife
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Oy. We've moved MANY times and are about to move again. We always have movers pack our things and I've never washed upon unpacking! The thought never even crossed my mind!
We are all alive and well, so it must not have been that bad.
One more thing to add to my to-do list this go round....

gatorsmom
02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Oy. We've moved MANY times and are about to move again. We always have movers pack our things and I've never washed upon unpacking! The thought never even crossed my mind!
We are all alive and well, so it must not have been that bad.
One more thing to add to my to-do list this go round....

Ugh, it is such a pain. I agreed with Ceepa's post last night that I do care and so I needed to wash them. I'm really thinking We'd all be fine to but the fact that it bugged me made me wash them. :ROTFLMAO: I say if it's working for you, don't do it! I'm probably just making more work for myself here. You are the wiser one! :thumbsup:

DrSally
02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
I always wash kitchen stuff after moving. A pain, but peace of mind

mommy111
02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Wash....unless you want to rinse every time you pull something out from the cabinet