PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully fun thread: Quotes you don't understand

bisous
02-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Here's mine. "Well behaved women rarely make history." I understand the words but not why someone would have that as a bumper sticker. Are they trying to say that the reason I haven't heard of them is that they are well behaved? Or are they trying to say that the reason there aren't many famous women is that most women are well behaved? Or are they saying that they're attempting to be famous and their poor behavior must therefore be excused?

I THINK it is the latter, but I'm never really sure. FWIW, I think I agree but would personally rather be well behaved and nameless than poorly behaved and famous, lol.

What quotes do you not get?

wellyes
02-27-2013, 01:18 AM
I don't think the quote is referring to fame or celebrity. It's about women who have major impact despite social resistance. Think suffragettes, Margaret Sanger, Sojourner Truth.

Good idea for a thread. If I wasn't trying to think up a quote I don't get, I'm sure one would pop into my head.

ellies mom
02-27-2013, 01:21 AM
The quote is saying that women who are "well behaved" (ie remain in their spheres) generally do not change the world. The women who made the history books usually stepped out of the roles society had for them. Florence Nightingale, Harriet Tubman, suffragettes are among those that come to mind. It was stepping out of the approved roles that made them badly behaved and not Paris Hilton type behavior.

ETA - I can't think of a quote right now either but I'll try and come up with something.

sariana
02-27-2013, 01:21 AM
I think Wellyes is being far too gracious! I think people with those bumper stickers are braggin' about misbehavin'!

I can't think of a single quote right now! Argh! I know there are many that make me go "Huh?"

crl
02-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Not exactly a quote, I guess, but I never understood the saying, "In for a penny, in for a pound" until I spent a summer in England. And then I felt really dumb for not getting it earlier.

Catherine

sariana
02-27-2013, 01:27 AM
This is more of a generally misunderstood quote, but I'm pretty sure the saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" is based on the older definition of fond, which was "foolish." So the saying really means that when people are apart, they start to do stupid things, not that they miss each other so much they grow closer together. I think.

bisous
02-27-2013, 01:29 AM
This is more of a generally misunderstood quote, but I'm pretty sure the saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" is based on the older definition of fond, which was "foolish." So the saying really means that when people are apart, they start to do stupid things, not that they miss each other so much they grow closer together. I think.

Fascinating! I had no idea.

bisous
02-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks for chiming in on that. So do you think my quote about "well behaved women" is more about the Florence Nightingales of the world or the Cleopatras? Maybe it can be either which I why I find it ambiguous? My world view and personal take of that quote is more inclined to see the millions of sacrifices that nameless women have made throughout the ages taking care of children, raising families and making lives better for the entire human race but we'll never know their names...

See what I mean?

citymama
02-27-2013, 01:44 AM
Not exactly a quote, I guess, but I never understood the saying, "In for a penny, in for a pound" until I spent a summer in England. And then I felt really dumb for not getting it earlier.

Catherine

Ok, please explain now!

I think the "well behaved" quote is encouraging women to not be afraid to speak their minds, make trouble, stir the pot - rather than sitting demurely on the sidelines and watching history unfold (by men).

I like the concept of this thread and will probably have some puzzlers to contribute. Here's one from Emily Dickinson: "Hope is the thing with feathers." I don't get it but I do love it for some reason. I have this vision of hope soaring up high in the sky - is that what it's supposed to mean?

Proverbs or quotes are often misused and mis-stated. Could be a whole spin-off thread but some of these are hilarious. I used to have a coworker who was always saying "nipped in the butt" for "nipped in the bud!"

ellies mom
02-27-2013, 01:46 AM
Thanks for chiming in on that. So do you think my quote about "well behaved women" is more about the Florence Nightingales of the world or the Cleopatras? Maybe it can be either which I why I find it ambiguous? My world view and personal take of that quote is more inclined to see the millions of sacrifices that nameless women have made throughout the ages taking care of children, raising families and making lives better for the entire human race but we'll never know their names...

See what I mean?
I don't know that it is a value judgement so much as a statement that if history knows your name at some point along the line you were not doing what society thought you should be doing. Did you know the original source of the quote is Laurel Thatcher Ulrich? She is a well known LDS historian/feminist.

crl
02-27-2013, 01:48 AM

Catherine

Ok, please explain now!

"

I always thought the pound was a weight reference, but it's a monetary reference. So if you are going to bet/spend a penny on something, you might was well bet/spend a pound on it.

I agree with your analysis of the well-behaved women quote. And I also think the hope line is supposed to evoke flight.

Catherine

lalasmama
02-27-2013, 01:56 AM

I always took that one to mean--being apart makes you ignore/"forget" the bad things... which could be foolish ;)

Indianamom2
02-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I'll take a stab at the original quote:

I think the original "woman" quote referred to woman like the suffragetes and Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, etc....those who did unpopular (read: bad behavior)things to advance an important cause and thus made history.

I think those who use the bumper sticker, however, tend to be the kind of women who are using the quote as an excuse to behave badly (a la Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, etc..) in order to achieve their 15 minutes of fame.

wellyes
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
My world view and personal take of that quote is more inclined to see the millions of sacrifices that nameless women have made throughout the ages taking care of children, raising families and making lives better for the entire human race but we'll never know their names...

Interesting perspective - but - couldn't that apply to men as well as women? The vast majority of us lead quiet lives. I don't think history will be made by me or my DH. And I honestly don't wish a bigger or more grand life for my kids than having families, being good friends, trying to do right in their own communities. When I see that quote, I think of the Civil War. Many of the men we remember are presidents, generals. The women we remember are law breakers like Harriet Tubman and controversy seekers like Harriet Beecher Stow. Does it still apply in the modern era? I don't know. Definitely less so than it used to. But I do think it's a nice tribute.

bisous
02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
elliesmom, fascinating. I want to know more about this lady!

Indianamom2, that is a good take and probably true at least part of the time. While I see these bumper stickers from time to time, I don't actually know anyone with one IRL to ask. Thanks to all for speculating!

wellyes, I DO think it should apply to men also. Absolutely. I was thinking about this last night. BUT why is History full of stories about Men, then? And not all of them "misbehaved" or at least that isn't what we quote. Many are political leaders, military generals. So maybe the quote describes the limitations of traditional world history, it is a sort of lament or sigh. Or does it highlight essential differences between men and women and societal expectations?

I don't mean to draw this particular quote out but I appreciate all of you that are indulging me. Maybe I've thought about this just too much, lol. I think I'll go to the source that elliesmom quoted and see if I can glean insight based on context.

Do you ever see a quote and think that while the interpretation of the person using it may "work" on some level, it is absolutely NOT what the original author intended? Maybe even completely contrary?

mommylamb
02-27-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm anti bumpersticker in general. I mean, I think it's inviting someone to tailgate and cause an accident. They're distracting, many of them are pompous and offensive, and really, do you need to flaunt your political beliefs or love of zombies on your car??

Multimama
02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm anti bumpersticker in general. I mean, I think it's inviting someone to tailgate and cause an accident. They're distracting, many of them are pompous and offensive, and really, do you need to flaunt your political beliefs or love of zombies on your car??

:ROTFLMAO:

I never understood the quote, "You can't have your cake and eat it too." I mean, if you didn't have your cake you wouldn't be able to eat it and if you've eaten it, surely you still have it, in some sense. It never seems to really work even when I hear people use it in context.

sariana
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM

I never understood the quote, "You can't have your cake and eat it too." I mean, if you didn't have your cake you wouldn't be able to eat it and if you've eaten it, surely you still have it, in some sense. It never seems to really work even when I hear people use it in context.

That's because the real quote is "You can't eat your cake and have it too." That is, once you've eaten it, you no longer have it (to look at, at least--ugh!). It is pretty much universally misquoted now and has taken on its own life in the new form. In essence the meaning is the same (you can't have it both ways), but it makes much more sense in the original form!

gatorsmom
02-27-2013, 12:00 PM
I understand the phrase, "never look a gift horse in the mouth.". I can use the phrase properly in the correct context. But honestly, where in the world did this saying come from? And what does it mean? I mean, does it mean like, don't look at the horse's teeth because they could be rotten but he's still a good horse you were given?? Or he could bite you and then you wouldn't appreciate him?

I've never liked that weird saying.

elektra
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
I understand the phrase, "never look a gift horse in the mouth.". I can use the phrase properly in the correct context. But honestly, where in the world did this saying come from? And what does it mean? I mean, does it mean like, don't look at the horse's teeth because they could be rotten but he's still a good horse you were given?? Or he could bite you and then you wouldn't appreciate him?

I know nothing about horses but based on this quote, I always figured that the way to judge the quality of a horse must be to look inside it's mouth, at it's teeth or something. So basically- don't judge the quality of a gift- just say thanks.
Maybe someone who knows something about horses will chime in.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM

Looking at the horse's teeth will tell you his age and perhaps something about his general health. So if someone gives you a horse, just accept it. It would be rude to say "wait a minute let me check the value of this horse before I accept it" and look in its mouth. And you never know, even an old horse could be useful so no reason to look in its mouth because you shouldn't turn it down anyway.

basically it means accept gifts graciously without insulting the giver, and also something that seems useless could turn out to be a good thing anyway.

sariana
02-27-2013, 12:13 PM

Indianamom2, that is a good take and probably true at least part of the time. While I see these bumper stickers from time to time, I don't actually know anyone with one IRL to ask. Thanks to all for speculating!

wellyes, I DO think it should apply to men also. Absolutely. I was thinking about this last night. BUT why is History full of stories about Men, then? And not all of them "misbehaved" or at least that isn't what we quote. Many are political leaders, military generals. So maybe the quote describes the limitations of traditional world history, it is a sort of lament or sigh. Or does it highlight essential differences between men and women and societal expectations?

I don't mean to draw this particular quote out but I appreciate all of you that are indulging me. Maybe I've thought about this just too much, lol. I think I'll go to the source that elliesmom quoted and see if I can glean insight based on context.

Do you ever see a quote and think that while the interpretation of the person using it may "work" on some level, it is absolutely NOT what the original author intended? Maybe even completely contrary?

I've always felt this way about "Good fences make good neighbors." It is a quite of a quote--the narrator of the poem is quoting his neighbor, but the narrator does not seem to believe the quote. The poem as a whole seems to be espousing the opposite view, IMO, that walls merely decay, and with them relationships.

Yet the quote seems to be used to justify building walls and fences. That's okay, I guess. I live in CA, where fences and/or walls are the norm. But I don't think that is what the poem is supposed to be saying.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-27-2013, 12:15 PM
I like the concept of this thread and will probably have some puzzlers to contribute. Here's one from Emily Dickinson: "Hope is the thing with feathers." I don't get it but I do love it for some reason. I have this vision of hope soaring up high in the sky - is that what it's supposed to mean?

It's the first line of a poem.
this link may help.

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/english/melani/cs6/hope.html

the full first stanza:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

ellies mom
02-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Apparently, she was in our ward when I was a baby in NH. I don't remember her but my mom speaks very highly of her.

I did a bit of research and the quote was originally used in a research paper back in 1976. Then it started popping up everywhere. She found that intriguing so she wrote a book on the subject appropriately named Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History (http://www.amazon.com/Well-Behaved-Women-Seldom-Make-History/dp/1400075270). I think I'm going to have to read it.

TwinFoxes
02-27-2013, 01:53 PM
I don't think the quote is referring to fame or celebrity. It's about women who have major impact despite social resistance. Think suffragettes, Margaret Sanger, Sojourner Truth.

I never heard it interpreted any other way! The "well behaved" means "knowing their place". It's a popular feminist saying, not a "girls gone wild" saying. :)

amatahrain
02-27-2013, 02:33 PM
I think Wellyes is being far too gracious! I think people with those bumper stickers are braggin' about misbehavin'!
"

This is what I thought too.

Gena
02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Here's mine. "Well behaved women rarely make history." I understand the words but not why someone would have that as a bumper sticker. Are they trying to say that the reason I haven't heard of them is that they are well behaved? Or are they trying to say that the reason there aren't many famous women is that most women are well behaved? Or are they saying that they're attempting to be famous and their poor behavior must therefore be excused?

I actually love this quote and have it tacked to my wall in my office. I work in a male-dominated field with a lot of strong, opinionated, somewhat boisterous men (and I say that with a lot of affection for them - or for most of them). The quote reminds me that in in working with these guys I need to speak my mind without fear, be critical when necessary, demand the support I need to do my job, and when necessary buck the system. Traditionally, when the guys do those things, they are being strong, smart businessman and when women do those things they are behaving badly. So I need to remember to behave badly at work.

boolady
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
I never heard it interpreted any other way! The "well behaved" means "knowing their place". It's a popular feminist saying, not a "girls gone wild" saying. :)

I never interpreted it any other way, either.

wellyes
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
I think they are bragging about misbehaving, but in a Lady Sybil kind of way.

So the gift horse thing, I guess I always vaguely thought it was about the Trojans. It being about actual horse health makes much more sense!

wifecat
02-27-2013, 05:39 PM

I am mostly anti-bumper sticker. I don't understand exactly what the purpose is. Are people trying to convince themselves that THIS IS WHO I AM or convince others of that? And really, are stickers on your car the best way to do that?

Having said that, I did put a vinyl sticker on the back of my car that shows a girl swimming, biking, and running after I completed my first triathlon. It's a reminder to me of who I've become, but I don't care who else looks at it or what they think.

Random hijack. Sorry!

squimp
02-27-2013, 06:07 PM

The person I know who has that bumper sticker is a mean, miserable person who makes everyone around her miserable. I can't even stand to be in the same room with her nor can many of her female colleagues. So I really don't like the bumper sticker and sometimes, when I'm feeling grumpy, I want to make a bumper sticker that says "you don't have to be a b*tch to change the world".

wifecat
02-27-2013, 06:55 PM
You know what quote I don't get? "No pain, no gain." I mean, I understand the idea that you need to work hard to reap rewards, but the actual wording of this one bugs me. If it's in relation to fitness, you don't have to be in pain to see results. And when I think of gain in regard to weight, I think of gaining weight, which definitely doesn't fit the saying. I just think it's dumb.

MontrealMum
02-27-2013, 07:57 PM

I THINK it is the latter, but I'm never really sure. FWIW, I think I agree but would personally rather be well behaved and nameless than poorly behaved and famous, lol.

What quotes do you not get?
That is a quote from historian, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. You might know her as the author of A Midwife's Tale, which was later turned into a series by PBS. The quote refers to the difficulty of "doing history" for those that don't leave much in the historical record, as in printed documents. During the colonial period, which is Ulrich's period of study, most women did not have the right to transact business and therefore did not sign the types of records/documents that men left behind with more regularity. Many did not know how to read and write so they did not leave behind letters or journals (unlike Martha Ballard, the subject of her famous book). It was only those atypical women - widows and spinsters - who were legally able to function in the public sphere in a way that left printed records behind, thus, they were not "well behaved" in a Puritan sense of gender norms.

I have the bumper sticker because I am a social historian like Ulrich, and I have great admiration for her.

Sweetum
02-27-2013, 08:04 PM
The person I know who has that bumper sticker is a mean, miserable person who makes everyone around her miserable. I can't even stand to be in the same room with her nor can many of her female colleagues. So I really don't like the bumper sticker and sometimes, when I'm feeling grumpy, I want to make a bumper sticker that says "you don't have to be a b*tch to change the world".
LOL! I can see you really dislike this person.

marie
02-27-2013, 08:19 PM

:yeahthat:

And I didn't realize that Laurel Thatcher Ulrich was LDS. I read both of her books for a women's history class in college. They were both fascinating - and I can't believe that I can remember reading them 20 years later!

Of course, I can't remember a quote right now. :rotflmao: I wish I could because I know there are a few that have always stumped me but I've felt too stupid to ask what they mean...

larig
02-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I know nothing about horses but based on this quote, I always figured that the way to judge the quality of a horse must be to look inside it's mouth, at it's teeth or something. So basically- don't judge the quality of a gift- just say thanks.
Maybe someone who knows something about horses will chime in.

:yeahthat: I believe that a horse's teeth had something to do with determining its health. I interpret it as you do, accept a gift graciously, even if it's a sick horse.

Related to this horse quote...my mom's dad, who was born in 1894, used to say, "if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride." I've never heard anyone use that present-day (although I know what it means, the horse quotes always remind me of one another.)

Reyadawnbringer
02-27-2013, 09:51 PM
I actually love this quote and have it tacked to my wall in my office. I work in a male-dominated field with a lot of strong, opinionated, somewhat boisterous men (and I say that with a lot of affection for them - or for most of them). The quote reminds me that in in working with these guys I need to speak my mind without fear, be critical when necessary, demand the support I need to do my job, and when necessary buck the system. Traditionally, when the guys do those things, they are being strong, smart businessman and when women do those things they are behaving badly. So I need to remember to behave badly at work.

This is me exactly. I work with a lot of older men who tend to think that they all can do whatever they want and it's my job to keep them in compliance with industry laws. This quote to me is more about doing what is right even if it's not popular or considered proper. Of course the Paris Hiltons of the world (famous or not) have claimed it as a quote to excuse their poor behavior, but I do not believe that was the original intent.

TwinFoxes
02-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Of course the Paris Hiltons of the world (famous or not) have claimed it as a quote to excuse their poor behavior, but I do not believe that was the original intent.

I have honestly never seen it used in that way. It's so "women's studies" not "WOO HOO!!" to me. :)

TwinFoxes
02-28-2013, 12:24 AM
I've always felt this way about "Good fences make good neighbors." It is a quite of a quote--the narrator of the poem is quoting his neighbor, but the narrator does not seem to believe the quote. The poem as a whole seems to be espousing the opposite view, IMO, that walls merely decay, and with them relationships.

Yet the quote seems to be used to justify building walls and fences. That's okay, I guess. I live in CA, where fences and/or walls are the norm. But I don't think that is what the poem is supposed to be saying.

I think we have disagreed on this quote before. :) The English proverb pre-dates the Frost poem. Clearly Frost knew of the proverb. The original intent is just what most people read into it...fences help keep the peace.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/mend-fences.html

boilermakermom
02-28-2013, 12:53 AM
Did anyone mention, 'play it by ear'? i can not stand that one! what does it actually mean? play what? a game?

crl
02-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Did anyone mention, 'play it by ear'? i can not stand that one! what does it actually mean? play what? a game?

I believe it is a musical reference. Playing by ear means playing without the sheet music, ie without instructions or a plan.

Catherine

lalasmama
02-28-2013, 01:01 AM

I assumed it was in reference to music.... Some people "play it by ear" instead of using sheet music. "Playing it by ear" generally means we're just going to see what happens, like a person would do if they were playing the piano by ear; we're just going to see what happens instead of following the script (ie, sheet music).

wellyes
02-28-2013, 01:02 AM

It means to improvise on a musical instrument - play music without seeing the key or notes or sheet music. It means winging it. Where the expression winging it comes from, I have no idea.

crl
02-28-2013, 01:14 AM
It means to improvise on a musical instrument - play music without seeing the key or notes or sheet music. It means winging it. Where the expression winging it comes from, I have no idea.

So I felt compelled to google winging it and came up with theater references. http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6333

Catherine

MaiseyDog
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Related to this horse quote...my mom's dad, who was born in 1894, used to say, "if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride." I've never heard anyone use that present-day (although I know what it means, the horse quotes always remind me of one another.)My mom says this and as a kid it drove me nuts. I get the general idea that if all it took was wishing then everyone would have their needs met, but honestly, doesn't that apply to everyone, not just a poor, lowly beggar? I mean everyone seems to want something whether they are rich or poor.

TwinFoxes
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
NPR must read this board...they interviewed one of the editors of the new "The American Heritage Book of Idioms" this morning. One of the idioms they discussed was "no pain no gain", and apparently it dates from the 1500s! Here's the story:
http://www.npr.org/2013/02/28/173060110/dictionary-of-idioms-gets-everybody-on-the-same-page

rin
02-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Related to this horse quote...my mom's dad, who was born in 1894, used to say, "if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride." I've never heard anyone use that present-day (although I know what it means, the horse quotes always remind me of one another.)

I've heard that one a fair amount, I think mostly from my mom. I've always taken it to mean "you can't always get what you want".

mommylamb
02-28-2013, 06:06 PM
I have one. This is something DH says that I find utterly nonsensicle.

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

megs4413
02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Alright, I'm going to cop to not understanding "can't see the forest for the trees." I feel like it means something like "you're missing the big picture," but I honestly don't know.

BabbyO
02-28-2013, 06:26 PM

That's because the real quote is "You can't eat your cake and have it too." That is, once you've eaten it, you no longer have it (to look at, at least--ugh!). It is pretty much universally misquoted now and has taken on its own life in the new form. In essence the meaning is the same (you can't have it both ways), but it makes much more sense in the original form!

Oh, I'm so glad someone else chimed in with this one. It used to always bug me until I found the explanation that Sariana gave. When people I know have noted that you can have your cake and eat it too, I've explained the original quote. Then they look at me like I'm nuts or a total geek! :)

Alright, I'm going to cop to not understanding "can't see the forest for the trees." I feel like it means something like "you're missing the big picture," but I honestly don't know. I'm in on this one. I agree...seems to be you're missing the big picture by focusing on the details...but where in the world did this originate!?

Pyrodjm
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Alright, I'm going to cop to not understanding "can't see the forest for the trees." I feel like it means something like "you're missing the big picture," but I honestly don't know.

You're right. It means someone is so caught up or focused in the details that they are missing the point/pattern/big picture.

Imagine showing a person a photo of a forest. They look and say something like "Hmm I don't see a forest. I see a tall oak over there, and three evergreens on that side and a tree with yellow leaves over there, etc".

They see the trees but aren't able to see that as a group they form the forest.

citymama
02-28-2013, 07:44 PM
I have one. This is something DH says that I find utterly nonsensicle.

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

That's coz it is nonsensical. The quote is "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." I use that one all the time when I see my older DD reluctantly sitting at the dinner table while refusing to eat. ;)

He's either taking the mickey with you or someone did so with him when he learned it!

Melaine
02-28-2013, 07:45 PM
My grandmother used to say the funniest things. Somewhere I have them all written down, but here are a few that I haven't heard much elsewhere:
"Katy bar the door"
"If wishes were horses, we'd all take a ride"
"they didn't have a pot to pee in"

elbenn
02-28-2013, 08:27 PM
The quote is "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Yes, this is the quote I have heard.

TwinFoxes
02-28-2013, 08:31 PM
My grandmother used to say the funniest things. Somewhere I have them all written down, but here are a few that I haven't heard much elsewhere:
"Katy bar the door"
"If wishes were horses, we'd all take a ride"
"they didn't have a pot to pee in"

Is she from Texas? My Texas-born dad said these, except for the wishes were horses. Also, I heard Dan Rather say "Katie bar the door" once, and he's a Texan.

Mali
02-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Is she from Texas? My Texas-born dad said these, except for the wishes were horses. Also, I heard Dan Rather say "Katie bar the door" once, and he's a Texan.

Could be Oklahoma too. My mom's family was from there and they said all but the Katy one. Although, it was not having a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of.

A couple more were:
Have a come to Jesus meeting
(I'll) tell them how the cow ate the cabbage
If you don't want to play with the big dogs, don't get off the porch

My husband gets so baffled when I use these. He'd never heard several of them until we got together. :rotflmao:

mommylamb
02-28-2013, 09:12 PM
That's coz it is nonsensical. The quote is "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." I use that one all the time when I see my older DD reluctantly sitting at the dinner table while refusing to eat. ;)

He's either taking the mickey with you or someone did so with him when he learned it!

I just googled it and apparently it's a quote from a Laurel and Hardy film. Lol, that makes sense now knowing my DH.

kijip
02-28-2013, 09:25 PM

Your feeling is correct. I think of of as someone who is only looking that the thing immediately in front of them like "there's a tree, and another and there's still another" without having the sense God gave them to look the heck around and realize they are approaching a thick forest or perhaps already in one. Getting lost in a forest is a common theme in old fairy tales and portrayed as a great danger. So missing the big picture and being short sighted/acting when too close to the situation to see the overview, perhaps getting into a jam or making a rotten decision because of it.

Melaine
02-28-2013, 09:31 PM

No, but from the Deep South.

tmahanes
02-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Could be Oklahoma too. My mom's family was from there and they said all but the Katy one. Although, it was not having a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of.

A couple more were:
Have a come to Jesus meeting
(I'll) tell them how the cow ate the cabbage
If you don't want to play with the big dogs, don't get off the porch

My husband gets so baffled when I use these. He'd never heard several of them until we got together. :rotflmao:

I heard those when I was little!

I've heard that one a fair amount, I think mostly from my mom. I've always taken it to mean "you can't always get what you want".

When I wanted something my dad always said "if-in a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his rear end"

It drove me soooooooo crazy!! I mean if-in is NOT a real word!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

wellyes
03-01-2013, 12:42 AM
I thought of one!! "Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth". I'm still not sure if it means "she's so high and mighty the laws of nature don't apply to her" or "what a cold woman" or something else. It's kind of a slippery one.

citymama
03-01-2013, 12:58 AM
I thought of one!! "Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth". I'm still not sure if it means "she's so high and mighty the laws of nature don't apply to her" or "what a cold woman" or something else. It's kind of a slippery one.

She's so cold, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth!

fauve01
03-01-2013, 01:06 AM
My mom was always quoting her mother (she still does) and it drove me and my sisters nuts. now i enjoy the crazy lines. my fav is:
Hunger makes good sauce. (when you're hungry, everything tastes better; like how adding gravy to food makes it taste better)

she also said:
Empty barrels make the most noise. (people who listen are, or seem, smarter than people who are all talk)

You make a better door than a window. (when someone is blocking your view)

Why keep dogs and bark yourself? (when you have your kids run and do somehting for you)

You gave it a lick and a promise. (when you tell yourself you'll do a better job next time)

If everyone's troubles were hanging on a tree, you would choose your own.

It's easier to fight the devil you know, than the devil you don't know.

OK, that's all i can think of, but it seems like there were a million more. :rotflmao:

Gracemom
03-01-2013, 09:09 AM
There was one on Project Runway last night: "We got on like a house on fire." I think it means that they got along well. But is a house on fire supposed to be a good thing? That's one of the worst things I can imagine!

Mali
03-01-2013, 09:46 AM
From one of my girlfriends:

(I)don't know (someone) from a can of paint

I understand the idea of not knowing someone well enough to pick them out, but why a can of paint?

gatorsmom
03-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Oh, you guys are coming up with some really good ones!

My mom used to say, "i'll give it a lick and a promise." she said this when she meant she'd give it a try. I always thought it was like sending a letter- lick the envelope, put it in the mail and wish for the best.

She also used to say, "we were so poor we didn't have a pot to pi$$ in.". Which is true- her family really was that poor.

And I'm glad to know the meaning of the "butter won't melt in my mouth" saying. Scarlett O'hara said that so many times in Gone with the Wind and I could never figure out exactly what she meant from context clues. She meant she would be haughty and proud and show them all (the people
who didn't like her) her cold side. I had imagined she was saying something less mean about herself.

mom3boys
03-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't really understand "He knows which side his bread is buttered on"--Does it matter what side you use for the butter? It makes me think of the Butter Battle Book though!

buddyleebaby
03-01-2013, 11:10 AM
"All things happen for a reason."

I understand it, but I scratch my head at the times people choose to share this little nugget of wisdom.

TwinFoxes
03-01-2013, 12:53 PM
I think "butter wouldn't melt in my mouth" means you're cool, calm and collected, not that you're cold. Kind of like "never let them see you sweat".

"All things happen for a reason."

I understand it, but I scratch my head at the times people choose to share this little nugget of wisdom.

You mean like after something terrible has happened? Even if you believe it's true sometimes you need to keep it to yourself...like at a funeral.

FTMLuc
03-01-2013, 01:19 PM
"Doing something by the seat of one's pants" as in then my DH says "so and so was flying by the seat of his pants" never made any sense to me. I think it means not doing something well or thoroughly, but why by the seat of the pants?

EllasMum
03-02-2013, 11:43 AM
He's either taking the mickey with you ...

This is one expression I'm not familiar with! What does it mean?!

wellyes
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Taking the mickey is cockney rhyming slang for taking the piss. Which is an expression that doesn't make literal sense either, but, that's English humor for you. I know this because years ago I read someone say "Jay Leno really likes to take the piss out of Michael Jackson" which utterly baffled me, and I had to look it up. (It means, basically, to mock someone).

dcmom2b3
03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Looking at the horse's teeth will tell you his age

Which is also the origin of the phrase "long in the tooth" used to describe someone who's, ahem, got more miles on them. [I can't bring myself to type "old" b/c I feel as though I am!] IIRC there's a groove in one particular tooth in a horse's mouth -- the length of the groove signifies the age of the animal.

EllasMum
03-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Taking the mickey is cockney rhyming slang for taking the piss. Which is an expression that doesn't make literal sense either, but, that's English humor for you. I know this because years ago I read someone say "Jay Leno really likes to take the piss out of Michael Jackson" which utterly baffled me, and I had to look it up. (It means, basically, to mock someone).

Thanks for the clarification! I have heard 'take the piss out' but not the mickey one. Interesting. Love this thread. :)

Pennylane
03-02-2013, 08:23 PM
My DH just said to an employee on the phone today " Don't throw the baby out with the bath water". I don't get it even after he tried to explain it to me.

Ann

mommylamb
03-02-2013, 08:35 PM

Is it rhyming slang? DH says both (taking the mic and taking the piss) but he's not cockney. I just thought they were British sayings. But who knows. Could very well be a rhyming slang thing. DH does use some rhyming slang sometimes. When it's bedtime, he tells DS1 "Up the apples and pears" as in, up the stairs.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
My DH just said to an employee on the phone today " Don't throw the baby out with the bath water". I don't get it even after he tried to explain it to me.

Ann

there is a Facebook meme going around now that (supposedly) explains several of these.

this one is something like long ago they heated water for a bath and the men bathed first and then the women and then the kids from oldest to youngest and by the time they got to the baby the water was so dirty you couldn't see through it, so I guess you wanted to be careful that the littlest kid wasn't still in there when you emptied the tub outside.

It means don't lose the good things when you get rid of the bad. Like if you had a dog that chewed up your shoes and you wanted to get rid of it, you might be cautioned "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" because the dog is also a good watchdog or some other positive trait. Weigh your options and think about the consequences of doing something hasty without inspection.

mommylamb
03-02-2013, 10:02 PM
that's one poor, cold, dirty baby.