PDA

View Full Version : New kids show - Sofia the First

babygirl1029
02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
It's on Disney Junior on Saturday mornings. My 3 1/2 year old loves it. And so do I. It's a very cute show and it always has a moral to the episode. It just started in January so there aren't too many episodes yet. Has anyone else seen it?

elektra
02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
We have seen it. Love that Tim Gunn is one of the voices. :)
It seems cute, I agree.

sariana
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
DD (5) and DS (8) both like this show. I never have watched a full episode with them, but DD quotes it often.

cindys
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
My 2 little boys LOVE it!

I think its very cute and I also love the Tim Gunn character/voice.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...21, 6 & 4 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

katydid1971
02-27-2013, 02:02 PM
DD (5) and DS (8) both like this show. I never have watched a full episode with them, but DD quotes it often.

I like that your DS likes it, mine does too but I try to encourage him not to tell people, I don't want him made fun of.

KrisM
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
DD and DS2 both like it.

sariana
02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
I like that your DS likes it, mine does too but I try to encourage him not to tell people, I don't want him made fun of.

Unfortunately, my DS will be made fun of no matter what shows he watches. :(. He is not neurotypical, and his peers already shun him in 3rd grade.

Sometimes he does go into the "That's a girl show" more, but I hear that mostly about Angelina Ballerina. I think he's okay with Sofia because of the brother.

MizMojoLaveau
02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
I DVR it for 3.5YO DS2!

georgiegirl
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
My kids like it too, but mostly DD (6.5).

lizzywednesday
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
It's on Disney Jr channel on Fridays at 5:30pm and 4 times on weekends (10:30a Saturdays ... plus a bunch of other times) ... and each episode is available OnDemand or online at DisneyJunior.com ... and ... wait, what?

That should have read, "yes, we've seen it."

DD went mental when she saw the Sofia nightgowns at the Disney Store Outlet; unfortunately, they didn't have any in her size.

It's cute.

Not only is Tim Gunn a voice (the castle steward, Bailywick, was written expressly for him) but Wayne Brady (of the US version of 'Whose Line is it Anyway?') is the voice of the bunny rabbit, Clover ... and, for whatever reason, I find this to be hilarious.

alootikki
02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
DD (4.5) LOVES this show too! Can anyone fill me in on the basic storyline though? Why is Sofia "new" to being a princess, but has friends from the village?

Tenasparkl
02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
My DD loves it. We've watched the episode about the shy princess about 1000 times since it aired.

TwinFoxes
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't know why that show annoys me, but it does. And I'm a sucker for Disney Jr shows. I think Sofia is especially annoying. :bag Is Cedric in the episodes? He was in the movie, and the girls thought he was too scary, so we don't watch it much.

lizzywednesday
02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
DD (4.5) LOVES this show too! Can anyone fill me in on the basic storyline though? Why is Sofia "new" to being a princess, but has friends from the village?

Sofia's mother was the village's shoemaker. She met & fell in love with the (widowed) king & married him, promoting her to Queen and Sofia to a Princess.

This is all told as part of the pilot/intro movie 'Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess' that Disney Channel premiered back in November ... and ran a zillion times before premiering the show itself on January 17th.

AnnieW625
02-27-2013, 02:15 PM

because I think it is kind of like a Cinderella story. It is usually background noise if it is on to me. Thanks for the tip on the Sofia night gowns DD2 would love one. Hopefully they come in a 3 or a 4. The show is okay and definitely better than Jake & the Neverland Pirates.

lizzywednesday
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't know why that show annoys me, but it does. And I'm a sucker for Disney Jr shows. I think Sofia is especially annoying. :bag Is Cedric in the episodes? He was in the movie, and the girls thought he was too scary, so we don't watch it much.

He pops in and out, but he's less scary and more bumbling in the episodes than he was in the movie.

Tenasparkl
02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Sofia night gowns DD2 would love one. Hopefully they come in a 3 or a 4.

They do. There are tshirts too (and of course lots of stuffed toys).

lizzywednesday
02-27-2013, 02:21 PM
... Thanks for the tip on the Sofia night gowns DD2 would love one. Hopefully they come in a 3 or a 4. ...

Right now, it seems like they're only available online in size 2/3, but definitely keep your eyes open!

janine
02-27-2013, 02:22 PM

I kind of feel the same way and may be inadvertently influencing DD. We've watched it but Mickey Mouse CH rules our house still. Sofia is on heavy cirulation on wkends though (+ high # of the ads on it) so it is hard to miss.

amatahrain
02-27-2013, 02:30 PM
I just put it on after your recommendation and 3yo DD is enthralled. I love the Disney Cars movies but I need a break! Oh and anything that keeps her for asking for Caillou is a winner! Thanks :)

PS... She is a really cute princess. I like that she looks ordinary.

gatorsmom
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Sisi loves it too.

TwoBees
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
DD is also liking it.

Philly Mom
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Sofia's mother was the village's shoemaker. She met & fell in love with the (widowed) king & married him, promoting her to Queen and Sofia to a Princess.

This is all told as part of the pilot/intro movie 'Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess' that Disney Channel premiered back in November ... and ran a zillion times before premiering the show itself on January 17th.

Thank you!

boolady
02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
DD likes it. I don't particularly care for it, as it's really super-formulaic (yes, I know I'm talking about the channel with the endless counting of gold dubloons) and it annoys me.

TwinFoxes
02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
DD likes it. I don't particularly care for it, as it's really super-formulaic (yes, I know I'm talking about the channel with the endless counting of gold dubloons) and it annoys me.

I think that's my issue too! It's so formulaic, I can see the plot coming down the interstate. I can sit through any number of hot dog dances, checkups with Doc, and even doubloon counting, but Sofia just seems to never be interesting.

trentsmom
02-27-2013, 02:51 PM
DS2 really likes it; he calls it "princess." He saw the movie, too. DH and DS1 don't like it and try to change the channel, but that only causes DS2 to cry out "See princess!"

boolady
02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
I think that's my issue too! It's so formulaic, I can see the plot coming down the interstate. I can sit through any number of hot dog dances, checkups with Doc, and even doubloon counting, but Sofia just seems to never be interesting.

Snort. You nailed it, for me, at least. And I love Doc. I have no idea why I feel so differently about it, but I will suggest Doc any time DD wants to watch Sofia on demand. I think it's because Sofia also plays right into so many stereotypes-- she's the kind one, being just a villager underneath, and keeps them all humble; Amber's a biotch, because she's the dreaded stepsister; James is caught in the middle; blah blah blah. And that episode with the trolls is just unspeakably bad on so many levels that I actually wiped down the powder room rather than sit through it again.

wendibird22
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
DDs watched the movie but haven't asked to watch the show. They are much more into Doc and Octonauts. Oh and Word World. Maybe I can get them to take a break from WW (which I do enjoy but not the 10th time of the same episode) for Sophia.

egoldber
02-27-2013, 03:25 PM
(yes, I know I'm talking about the channel with the endless counting of gold dubloons

:rotflmao:

lizzywednesday
02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
... And that episode with the trolls is just unspeakably bad on so many levels ...

That's funny - the troll one is the only one DD won't watch!

FTMLuc
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Count me among those who find it annoying. I am glad DD is not into anything other than Mickey Mouse clubhouse, which we now have watched in English, Russian, Spanish, German and I think Chinese at some point, on you tube.

Originally Posted by TwinFoxes
I can sit through any number of hot dog dances,
the hot dog song in German is pretty cool! Oh and I can now count to 5 in German!

P.S. only, English of the above listed languages is spoken in our house.

Tenasparkl
02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
That's funny - the troll one is the only one DD won't watch!

My DD refuses to watch that one again.

urbanmommy
02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
My dd loves this show. I am amazed at how many times she wants to re-watch each episode.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

KLD313
02-27-2013, 04:57 PM
My DD loves it, too. She's starting to repeat the lines from watching the same episodes over and over. I don't mind the show, it's cute.

MamaMolly
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Several boys we know really like it, they are in the 2.5-5 yo range. Lula (6) sometimes watches but she's not really interested. Dolly hasn't said one way or another.

Personally I don't care for it a bit. I really do not need my DDs to see examples of sisters being nasty, excluding someone from play, etc.etc. They have mastered those concepts just fine on their own and need NO reinforcement in that direction. ;) Seriously, I know that the 'bad' gets resolved in the end, but I strongly believe that little kids don't hold onto a story thread that long, with commercial interruptions and all.

I also DESPISE Doc. McStuffins with the hear of 10,000 suns. I have an emotional, sensitive 6yo who DOES NOT need it crammed into her head that 'broken' toys are crying and sad, and just need 'fixing' to be 'happy' again. This is the kid who refused to eat her smiley face pancake at Denny's because IT WAS HER FRIEND. :banghead:

Indianamom2
02-27-2013, 06:28 PM
This is the kid who refused to eat her smiley face pancake at Denny's because IT WAS HER FRIEND. :banghead:

I hear you on having a sensitive DD....but this just made me laugh because I could see that happening! It's a great story for someday!

trales
02-27-2013, 07:10 PM
We like it here.

TwinFoxes
02-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Personally I don't care for it a bit. I really do not need my DDs to see examples of sisters being nasty, excluding someone from play, etc.etc.

Oh, that reminds me...D started saying "uh, hello?" because of Sophia. :irked: Yeah,that got nipped in the bud super fast. So unacceptable to me, luckily she stopped saying it after I told her a few times it was rude.

I do like that the step-parents aren't evil. :)

kep
02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I bought the app, but didn't realize it was a show. Kids love it.

Green22
02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
We love it. I don't love it so much, but I like it much better than Jake or Octonauts (just a personal preference).

DD has picked up some cute lines from it too "It's so lovely!" and "Good morning father!" Pretty cute stuff.

SASM
02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
All 3 of my kids love it, including my 10yo DS. :)