PDA

View Full Version : Don't see why IKEA crib mattress is recommended

mamainflorida
02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Hello,
I posted a few posts down. We ended up buying one of the Naturepedic organic mattresses for our home. However, we'd also like to buy a less expensive but recommended second mattress for my parents' house. In some of the posts, I read about the IKEA crib mattress, so we went to IKEA a few days ago and to be honest, the mattresses on display were awful! They were thin and flimsy, so I'm wondering if those are just the display mattresses they put in the cribs on sale or if those are the actual mattresses. Does anyone know??

I have to be honest, because this is our 2nd baby, we didn't buy the latest edition of Baby Bargains, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me insight into what's recommended in the latest book for a secondary mattress. We want something that's safe and firm, but don't want to spend the $260 we spent for the one we're going to use at home.

Thanks!

twowhat?
02-28-2013, 12:04 AM
We have IKEA foam crib mattresses for our twins and I have been really happy with them.

We have these:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20152851/

Our girls are 4.5 and the mattresses are still going strong. The only sign of wear I see is that they've started compressing on the edges due to tight-fitting sheets, so there is more of a gap between the mattress and the sides of the crib now. But that gap didn't appear until after 2 years of use (and after which I stopped worrying about gaps). Yes, they are only about 3 inches thick but babies/toddlers don't need mattresses as thick as adults - they just don't weigh as much as we do!

Really, for $40 I couldn't be happier - they are firm and supportive. We turned them over to the eggshell side when the girls were about 2 since that side is a bit softer (though still firm). They have really held up great (I sit on them often at bedtime while reading books) and every time I change sheets, I appreciate how light they are. In fact, I think I will be sad to get rid of them once the girls' big beds arrive...

larig
02-28-2013, 12:16 AM
They have several different crib mattresses. You can compare them easily down in the warehouse.

fedoragirl
03-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Both our everyday use crib mattresses are from Ikea. We got a compressed foam one for DD and a latex (some synthetic latex) for DS. We have been happy with both. DD is getting ready to move into a big girl bed and we are splurging on her latex mattress since we hope to have it for a lot longer than a crib mattress.

Mommy_Mea
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
We bought a Ikea crib mattress for DS2. It was the tail end of the shopping trip, we were in the warehouse area and just grabbed what I had seen recommended here. We got it home and it was SO soft, no way would I feel comfortable putting a infant on it with the concern of SIDS. So we gave DS2 DS1's old mattress and gave him the Ikea mattress. In DS1's crib we had to put all sorts of support under it to keep it from falling through the mesh (?) supports.

Now that DS1 is out of his crib, the Ikea mattress is behind our headboard, to keep it from banging on the wall :)