PDA

View Full Version : Night-time strategies for day-trained 19mo?

skoo
03-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Dd is 19 mo and day potty trained. Underwear during the day, no accidents since day 2 of potty training (woohoo!!).

We are still using a diaper during her nap and overnight. She is a heavy wetter overnight (usually from 7:30pm-7am) and is about 50% dry after her nap (depends if she takes a 2 or 3 hr nap).

But the past 4 days, she's waking up at 5:30/6 and yelling "mommy! Potty! Poop!" so I've been taking her. She won't go back to sleep afterwards, although I've been putting her back in her crib to at least chill out. She just seems to happily talk to herself (and keep us up).

I'm missing those precious extra early morning sleep hours. :) anyone have any good strategies that would work at her age? This is even after she poops right before bath/bedtime. She's a healthy eater so it's not unusual for her to poop 3-5x per day.

Simon
03-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Sorry, but its pretty normal for a kiddo to wake and use the potty, then be up for the day at those hours, especially since it looks like that's 10.5-11 hours of sleep overnight.

Unless you want to try rocking/nursing or bottle, or bringing her into bed with you, I think your best bet is to just return her to the crib or let her get up for the day. You could try moving around her last "meal" time of the day, that often helps with kids who are pooping just once or twice a day, but if she is going that often its not likely to help you too much.

mikala
03-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Agree with PP that it seems like a normal wake up time. I would bet she is waking up and then feeling the bathroom urge instead of the reverse. DS woke up around that time at the same age and was light years away from potty training.

You might try blackout curtains or just hold tight another week until daylight savings time.

newg
03-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Any chance you can wake her up to pee when you go to bed (we are usually going to bed around 10)...and see if that holds her off 'till a more reasonable hour?

If DD2 wakes up around that time to pee, I'll sometimes have to go through a lot of her bedtime routine again.......put her music on, rock her while I sing her songs....get her snuggled into a blanket.

Another thought.....can you set your alarm for right before she actually is waking you up....go in there while she is still sleeping and take her potty.....trying really hard to not actually wake her, get her to pee and then lay her back down.