PDA

View Full Version : Would you send PB to daycare?

basil
03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
My DS is 18 months and in a toddler room at daycare (13-24 months). They provide lunches which are generally healthy but we don't eat red meat so I provide lunch on those days. They sometimes don't do a great job choosing healthy snacks, so I usually send those too.

My DS loves natural PB and no sugar added jam on WW bread. Do you think it's ok to send this as a snack or alternate lunch? We've never received any communication about allergies, but I don't know if others haven't even tried PB or other high allergen foods yet. I did send shrimp one day without thinking about it and didn't hear anything.

Should I ask first?

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
If there's no policy against it, I would send it b

ehlana06
03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
I would ask first. Some children are so allergic to PB that they can't be in the same room with it. I'm actually suprised that there isn't a well known policy against peanut products at the school.

Kindra178
03-02-2013, 01:05 PM
My DS is 18 months and in a toddler room at daycare (13-24 months). They provide lunches which are generally healthy but we don't eat red meat so I provide lunch on those days. They sometimes don't do a great job choosing healthy snacks, so I usually send those too.

My DS loves natural PB and no sugar added jam on WW bread. Do you think it's ok to send this as a snack or alternate lunch? We've never received any communication about allergies, but I don't know if others haven't even tried PB or other high allergen foods yet. I did send shrimp one day without thinking about it and didn't hear anything.

Should I ask first?

I am a FA mom. I think the reason there is no policy against it in that age group is because other parents don't necessarily know if their kid is allergic yet. Ask if you want, but I would just send it anyway.

wellyes
03-02-2013, 01:27 PM
I would ask first. Some children are so allergic to PB that they can't be in the same room with it. I'm actually suprised that there isn't a well known policy against peanut products at the school.
Typically there is no peanut ban unless there is a child in the room with a known peanut allergy. If there IS a peanut ban, I'd be amazed if it wasn't communicated early on.

I'd send it.

hehateme
03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
We just got a letter from the school that one of the kid in ds1's class is allergic to peanuts. We do send lunch box everyday. The school did not have a policy about peanuts but they asked us to avoid sending food with peanuts. Ds1 is 3.5.