PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a kid who doesn't want to leave the crib?

AustenFan
03-03-2013, 07:00 PM
We tried to move DD2 into a "big girl bed" (toddler bed that matches DD1's) in the big kids' room last night. The big kids were even excited to go to bed an hour early to "show her how to sleep in a big kid bed." She was all excited and laid down in it, then when I got up to leave, she flipped out and started screaming that she wanted to go back in her crib. We put her back in the crib, then she changed her mind again and we brought her back into the big kids' room, but she couldn't handle it and went back in her crib and slept there. We're flabbergasted. When we moved #2 out of the crib into a big kid bed with #1, she was thrilled from day 1. We never even had issues with her getting out of bed. DD2 does not do anything in her room except sleep in there--the toys are mostly in the big kids' room. She usually wants to do everything they are doing, and I honestly thought it would be way more fun for her to be in with them than quiet and alone in her own room.

We have a mini-crib in our room for #4, so there's no rush to move #3 out of the main crib yet. But we thought since we had the bed, she would enjoy it. Has anyone else had a kiddo totally flip out about leaving the crib? What did you do? I'm wondering whether to totally give it up for a month or keep trying.

amom526
03-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Ds1 is 3 months older than your dd2 and he is nowhere near ready to leave the crib. He doesn't have older siblings, so a bed is not even on his radar, but he just loves his crib. I just bought a second crib for ds2. Your dc4 can be in a mini crib for a while so I would not push the issue. She is still very young, and it may be a blessing to have her still in a crib when the baby comes

Green_Tea
03-03-2013, 07:18 PM
My DD2 would have happily stayed in a crib forever. We moved her out at 3 and a half years old.

If they are happy in a crib, and sleep well, I'd just buy a second crib (or borrow one) for the baby. They can be had for less than $200, which is a small price to pay for a kid who sleeps well.

KrisM
03-03-2013, 07:42 PM
DS1 and DD both moved at about age 2, and did great. DS2 was content and was nearly 3 when he moved out.

YouAreTheFocus
03-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Well my kid is closer in age to your DD1 and still loving his crib :tongue5:

mypa
03-03-2013, 10:33 PM
DD is 4.5yo and is in a converted crib (toddler bed) and is showing no sign of moving out. We've had a full sized bed in her room for over 2 years. We tried several times but she will inevitably go to her crib. There's only a few more inches left before she's longer than the crib.

DS slept in his own bed since 2.5yo so I am at a loss on what to do.

AustenFan
03-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Okay, it's reassuring to hear this. My older two *wanted* to get out of their cribs (and DD1 had to because she was climbing out), and they slept much better in big kid beds. So we just assumed DD2 would be the same... I guess this is her way of asserting that she's unique.:)