PDA

View Full Version : Probiotic dose? (sorry, longish and TMI)

EllasMum
03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Mods, I wasn't sure if this should go in 'Healthy You' or not. Hoping for more traffic, so posting here.

About 2 weeks ago, DD had a horrendous bout of whatever stomach virus is going around here. On the third day (of 5!) I started getting nervous about getting it, so decided to start taking probiotics in hopes of doing anything I could to lessen the effects. I had some probiotics I'd bought for DD, which have 3 billion cfu (colony forming units), and the directions said for adults to take 1-2 capsules daily, which I did. The next day, I started feeling slightly nauseated and figured it was going to hit me, but it never did. I continued to feel nauseated for about 10 days and wondered if I should get some adult probiotics, which I did. The directions on these said to take 1 capsule 3 times daily with each capsule having 5 billion cfu. By the 2nd day of that dose, I was getting ***TMI WARNING*** lactose-intolerance-like gas. I say this because I went through a period of about 2 years of lactose-intolerance (terrible gas) while taking an anti-depressant in my 20's. The gas and bloating I got while on the probiotics was similar to that. I did some Googling and found that a high dose of probiotics can actually trigger gas/bloating/diarrhea in some people. Over the last week, I did have one incident of a very loose BM and one night of vomiting. When I finally made the (possible) connection to the probiotics, I cut the dose back to 1 capsule daily. Just wondering if that is enough of a dose to have a positive effect? I'm curious as to what dose I should be taking? Or should I cut my losses with this brand and try something else? This is a store brand and says the capsules are vegetarian, but may have come into contact with milk. I couldn't see anything about the product containing lactose, but maybe that is a given with probiotics??

Sorry, I realize this is long and rambly. Just looking for any advice/thoughts on this. I suppose I could still be fighting the stomach virus and the probiotics may be unrelated to my issues, but the timing seems suspicious. I am now at day 10 of this mild nausea/lack of appetite. Everything else is normal (and no, I cannot be pregnant).

Thanks for any insight!

SASM
03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Not sure about dosage but if you cannot find the right balance/brand that works or you, you can always try kombucha tea. I no longer take probiotics and just drink the tea. It can get expensive if you buy the yummy bottled stuff (Love GT's Enlightened Gingerade), however, you CAN make your own...tons of how-to's on YouTube. Good luck!!