PDA

View Full Version : Possible TMI - AF and Clots

lizzywednesday
03-06-2013, 10:19 AM
I've been getting my period since the December after I turned 12.

Pre-DD, I would pass "clots" every few months. Small ones, no big deal, no cause for alarm - mostly they were smaller than a pencil eraser.

Sometimes they would coincide with really bad cramps, but not always. I had an episode of debilitating cramps roughly every 3 months, even while on the Pill, and that general pattern has continued.

Post-DD, I seem to pass "clots" a bit more frequently, say, every month to every other month, often coinciding with the worst cramps of my cycle.

This past weekend, AF hit complete with cramps that kept me in bed with a heating pad for most of Sunday ... and some fairly large (bigger than a quarter) clots.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I will add that in addition to 600mg of ibuprofen every 12 hrs for the pain, I was also taking six 1000mg gelcaps of evening primrose oil per day (3 in the morning; 3 at night.) I take the evening primrose oil in varying doses each cycle - typically it's 2-4 gelcaps per day in the week leading up to my period, with 4-6 gelcaps per day during the flow, so taking the evening primrose oil is typical for me.

Anyway, is having these larger clots within the range of normal or should I submit a question to my GYN's office?

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I researched that for me too b/c a quarter size (flat) is common each month for me. My Dr. Googling didn't pull up cause for alarm but I keep meaning to ask my Dr.. I don't have cramps though.

minnie-zb
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Ever since I had kids, I've had a couple of days of really heavy flow and clots. My doctors have never been worried - this has been going on since 2002.

As far as your cramps, you need to get ahead of them. Take Aleve (naproxen) before your cramps starting getting bad. Naproxen is a muscle relaxant and it works really well for cramps. I used to have horrible cramps which would keep me in bed in highschool and my doctor stressed the importance of taking the naproxen at the very first sign of the cramps -- don't wait. Mine always are on my first day, I take the aleve (naproxen) as soon as I start and it typically takes care of the problem for me. It is okay to take naproxen (aleve) with tylenol or ibuprofen if you need additional comfort. I know you didn't ask about the cramps, but I can commiserate with anyone who is experiencing bad cramps.

lizzywednesday
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM

As far as your cramps, you need to get ahead of them. Take Aleve (naproxen) before your cramps starting getting bad. Naproxen is a muscle relaxant and it works really well for cramps. I used to have horrible cramps which would keep me in bed in highschool and my doctor stressed the importance of taking the naproxen at the very first sign of the cramps -- don't wait. Mine always are on my first day, I take the aleve (naproxen) as soon as I start and it typically takes care of the problem for me. It is okay to take naproxen (aleve) with tylenol or ibuprofen if you need additional comfort. I know you didn't ask about the cramps, but I can commiserate with anyone who is experiencing bad cramps.

Thanks for the tip, but I actually can't take naproxen for menstrual cramps - it makes me super-lightheaded and I can't function, so I'd be laid up in bed anyway, but worse because I'd also be spacey! Most months, the ibuprofen alone is fine, as the heavy cramps only last about a day or so, so I'm not really risking my stomach.

I do use it once a year for a multi-day charity event I do with no ill effects, but most drugs affect me so differently during my period that I really have to be careful.

A cup of coffee, a glass of wine or an OTC painkiller will have a harder hit when I'm menstruating than it would when I'm not, so I really don't get outside my routine.

Twoboos
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I am also noticing more clotting lately. My period is really heavy with clotting but only lasts about 3 days. Very different than it used to be.

And I can also relate on the cramps. I remember first getting Naproxen in HS, it was like a miracle drug. I don't get cramps as much now, instead my sciatica flares up and I can barely walk! (Such a weird trade off, IMO.) I recently started taking ibuprofen for that, which seems to help.

You might as well ask the Dr, it can't hurt.

minnie-zb
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the tip, but I actually can't take naproxen for menstrual cramps - it makes me super-lightheaded and I can't function, so I'd be laid up in bed anyway, but worse because I'd also be spacey!

I'm sorry -- that stinks. For me it is a lifesaver.

MamaInMarch
03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the tip, but I actually can't take naproxen for menstrual cramps - it makes me super-lightheaded and I can't function, so I'd be laid up in bed anyway, but worse because I'd also be spacey! Most months, the ibuprofen alone is fine, as the heavy cramps only last about a day or so, so I'm not really risking my stomach.

I do use it once a year for a multi-day charity event I do with no ill effects, but most drugs affect me so differently during my period that I really have to be careful.

A cup of coffee, a glass of wine or an OTC painkiller will have a harder hit when I'm menstruating than it would when I'm not, so I really don't get outside my routine.

You could try bumping the ibuprofen up to 800 (be sure to eat something!) or ask your doctor for a different NSAID. There are several by prescription and maybe another would be more effective and not cause the same side effects as the Aleve.

Also, these drugs work by blocking certain chemicals and are most effective if they are taken before things get bad. So maybe start dosing about 24 hours before you typically develop symptoms and take them around the clock for the first day of it (or through the typical worst of it) then backing off to as needed.

As far as the clots go, I think some in a cycle are considered normal and the bleeding is considered "excessive" if you are soaking more than a pad an hour. However, I think a better yardstick is what's normal for *you*. And how it affects your life. If you think it has gotten worse or is affecting your quality of life, definitely make an appointment.

lizzywednesday
03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips!

I think that I'm going to start charting other parts of my cycle anyway, so I might as well track cramp patterns too, seeing as how I'd like to have a full data-set to report to my doc when I go in for my annual in October.

Like I said, I typically get these symptoms every 3 cycles, so it's not every month (hence the 600mg of ibuprofen rather than a 'script or something) and it will take me by surprise. I can manage it OK, but it's all about finding the balance that month. I tweak as I go.

I also find that when I am more active I am less prone to serious cramps, so that should be an extra incentive to get off my a$$!

marymoo86
03-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I had this and it was a symptom of endometriosis for me. It oddly enough subsided after DD's birth. Thankfully!

I also had cysts as well so perhaps that could be part of the problem?

lizzywednesday
03-12-2013, 02:30 PM
I had this and it was a symptom of endometriosis for me. It oddly enough subsided after DD's birth. Thankfully!

I also had cysts as well so perhaps that could be part of the problem?

That's interesting, because I started to think about it in terms of endometriosis as I'd just learned a bit about that after watching a Dr. Oz rerun but as I don't experience pain between periods, I thought I might rule it out.

Cysts have never been an issue for me before, though I know that fibroids run in the women in my dad's family. I think PCOS might be present on my mom's side, but I'm not sure. Nobody has bothered to explain my aunt's infertility to me, and, quite frankly, I'm not sure how my asking about it would be received.

Both my mother and her mother had serious cramping during their periods, but I don't know if it was related to the number of children they had (mom had 4; grandma had 7) or if it was just a natural part of their cycle ... and the only reason I learned anything about grandma's cycle was because it ws related to a husbands-caring-for-infants anecdote she was sharing about grandpa! In general, we don't talk much about stuff like this, though it would be better if we could.

I think I'll keep tracking it for now and see what my gyno can come up with regarding a treatment/management plan, especially if I see a pattern.

Zukini
03-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Check on uterine fibroids and polyps along with cysts, endo. I suffered terrible cramping, heavy bleeding and numerous/large clots during my periods. I routinely stayed home from the office because of cramps and soaking through tampons/pads profusely, and hid under my electric blanket for days. However i had zero pain or symptoms between periods. It started with polyps which i had removed in 2009. Then in 2010 discovered fibroids which were measuring as doubled in size every year thereafter. In 2012, I had 6 medium-large fibroids surgically removed (largest 8cm). Your OB should definitely be able to test/scan for these more common issues and work on a treatment plan.

lizzywednesday
03-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Oh wow! Thank you everybody for sharing your experiences. I knew I'd get some good pointers.

I'm going to try and get a pattern down first, because it's not every month. It's only every few months, with improvement in the symptoms if I'm more active.

I have had a couple instances of super-heavy flow in the last couple of cycles (1 or 2 days), but have not yet tracked that, either.

I still want to track these things together & see if I have a pattern I can share with my gyno before I schedule anything, mostly because I would have to get over my own "ick" factor about having an exam during my period, since that seems to be the only time I have symptoms.