PDA

View Full Version : Aren't you supposed to feel better?

sarahsthreads
03-06-2013, 02:27 PM
In the second trimester? I remember feeling pretty good by about week 13 the last two times. Energetic, etc.

I'm 15 weeks now, and while I'm not feeling queasy anymore I just don't feel good. The past two days I am so tired I can't even stand myself, and now today I am dizzy.

I have to play a musical four times in three days starting tomorrow. I cannot feel like this and concentrate on the director and the in-the-moment aspect of live musical theater. It is not a show where the piano plays along with the orchestra and all parts are covered whether I play or not, the piano is the main instrument in the book. I am (unfortunately) a critical part of this show and have to be at the very top of my game.

Is it possible to be anemic this early in pregnancy? I checked my blood pressure and it's normal. I'm eating normally and a healthy variety, though I have not gained any weight (I was overweight to begin with, though). Maybe I'm not eating enough? I am taking my prenatals (though they for some reason do not have iron.) I have no other symptoms beyond being tired and dizzy...

Help?!? I absolutely need to feel better by tomorrow night! (At least, not dizzy. I can handle tired, but dizzy isn't going to work well.)

Sarah

ArizonaGirl
03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
No helpful information, but the first time I felt better, maybe at 16 weeks and the second time not until 24 weeks.

So, no ideas to help, just commiseration and :hug:

tmahanes
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Dehydration? That was what made me feel the worst.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

MommyAllison
03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Definitely possible to be anemic at 15 weeks. My sister was anemic and low on vit D at 14 weeks and was retested in her third tri and was even more anemic and her vit d level had dropped, despite supplementation. Obviously those things aren't fixed overnight though, so I'd just focus on getting extra sleep if possible, and eating lots of protein today and tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon!

sarahsthreads
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Definitely possible to be anemic at 15 weeks. My sister was anemic and low on vit D at 14 weeks and was retested in her third tri and was even more anemic and her vit d level had dropped, despite supplementation. Obviously those this aren't fixed overnight though, so I'd just focus on getting extra sleep if possible, and eating lots of protein today and tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon!

Good to know. I have an appointment next week and if I'm not feeling significantly better I'll ask if they can test my iron levels.

For now, I've been drinking tons of water and DH is going to make steak, potatoes & broccoli for dinner tonight. Can't pack much more iron than that in a meal, right? ;)

I'll head to bed as soon as DD2 is asleep (or she'll want to sleep with me!) and hope for the best. I HAVE to make it through Saturday night. I just really desperately hope it's just a pregnancy thing and not the first symptom of a virus...

Sarah :)

sarahsthreads
03-06-2013, 08:19 PM
OK, one steak dinner later, plus a Starbuck's smoothie while the kids were in dance, and I *almost* feel human again!

I feel a little more confident that maybe this was just from not eating enough (although I wasn't hungry, honest!) or getting enough protein or iron and not the beginning of a plague!

Any positive thoughts to get me through this weekend are very appreciated!

TxCat
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
PT your way to get through this production and to stay healthy!

I'd be concerned about dehydration. Your plasma and blood volume increase significantly to meet the needs of the pregnancy, so you really need to ramp up fluid intake. I know I'm not close to meeting it these days, so I feel dry all the time - dry lips, dry hands - it's gross. And dizzy intermittently.

And I agree about the not feeling better. I'll be 17 weeks on Friday, and while I'm not puking daily anymore, I still have low-level constant underlying nausea, weird response to "normal" previously pleasing flavors, and I'm still so tired. Totally ready for August to come.

Simon
03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear you feel so awful. I will say that by my third pregnancy, I needed insane amounts of protein in AM in order to feel OK the rest of the day. I would eat a sausage/egg/cheese combo of some kind for breakfast, then a cheese stick/hummus/tofu snack around 10:30 am and that would allow me to eat a more reasonable lunch and dinner. For some reason, it didn't work to just eat the protein later in the day, it had to be in the morning. Sending you good vibes for getting through your performances the next few days.

sarahsthreads
03-07-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear you feel so awful. I will say that by my third pregnancy, I needed insane amounts of protein in AM in order to feel OK the rest of the day. I would eat a sausage/egg/cheese combo of some kind for breakfast, then a cheese stick/hummus/tofu snack around 10:30 am and that would allow me to eat a more reasonable lunch and dinner. For some reason, it didn't work to just eat the protein later in the day, it had to be in the morning. Sending you good vibes for getting through your performances the next few days.

I do think I may need to up my protein. If I crave anything this time around so far, it's meat, cheese and eggs. Oh, and green grapes, though those aren't really protein. They're like this perfect blend of cold and crisp and tart-sweet...

My kids are appalled because I won't join them in eating ice cream or really any other dessert. They are so, so unappealing to me right now! I'd rather starve than eat something sugary. :shrug:

sariana
03-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Aw, your LO just can't read the calendar and didn't know the first trimester was over. ;)

Glad you're feeling better. Take care of yourself.

oceana
03-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Try eating more often? Smaller portions, but say every 3 hours or so?

scrooks
03-07-2013, 10:34 PM
I am 20 weeks and still feel nauseous if I don't eat enough and protein seems to be the most important to my system. I tend to eat peanuts, almonds or nature valley protein bars.

sarahsthreads
03-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Update: So, I made it through! Thanks for the P&PT!

I woke up in the middle of last night with the worst sore throat EVER. But no fever and no other symptoms - no idea if it's connected with the dizziness of a few days ago. Luckily sore throats don't affect your fingers, and I just guzzled (decaf) tea before the shows and sucked on hard candy while playing so I wouldn't cough during the quiet bits.

Seriously, best musical I've ever accompanied, and the orchestra totally rocked tonight's performance! (Oh, yeah, the cast did too...) And now I'm totally on a post-show high and never going to fall asleep. And we're supposed to spring ahead tomorrow. Maybe I can spend the day in bed, nursing my cold and catching up on some much needed rest?

elektra
03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Great update! I totally feel for moms who have to be 100% on while working and trying to survive morning sickness at the same time, unlike my job where I can have large blocks of time in a slouching position in my chair in front of the computer, trying to keep from puking.

Tondi G
03-10-2013, 01:59 AM
So glad to hear your performance went well! Bummer about the sore throat. I hope you get a stay in bed and recover day tomorrow!