PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Sensitive C-section Scar?

Tea4two
03-06-2013, 05:40 PM
So I am about 7 weeks post partum and still can only wear yoga pants. This was my second c-section, and my scar is so sensitive this time. I can't stand to wear anything remotely fitted. Some days even loose fitting pants are bothersome. I've seen silicone scar treatment products that claim they can reduce sensitivity. They are kinda pricey but would be worth it if they worked. I'm wondering if the sensitivity will lessen on its own with time.

Was your c-section scar sensitive? Did you do anything to lessen it? Did it get better over time? TIA!

mikeys_mom
03-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Sounds normal to me.

I had 3 c/s, each about 2 years apart. Each time my scar was very sensitive at the beginning. I think it got subsequently worse each time but my memory may be a bit foggy. I didn't do anything to lessen the sensitivity.

I do know that the last 2 c/s's it took almost a year for the scar area to feel "normal" again. For sure it was sensitive for the first 6 months. If one of the kids would push against me there or I would lean into the counter when doing dishes, I would feel a shooting pain sensation.

It's now been 4 years since my last c/s and I have zero pain or sensitivity along the scar.

KLD313
03-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm 6 mos out from my second c-section and it still gets a little sensitive sometimes. I'm not sure there's much you can do for that.

hillview
03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
It lessens over time has been my experience. Had 2 sections and DS2 is 5. It doesn't bug me at all

brittone2
03-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Ask your healthcare provider if it is okay to start scar massage (well healed, etc.), and ask if they will show you how to do it. Sometimes that helps with sensitivity and it can also get the tissue to lay down more smoothly over time.

PTs regularly teach their patients this post op for surgeries like total knee replacements.

Tea4two
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your replies. Good to know that for many of you the sensitivity improved with time. I will definitely ask my doctor about the scar massage. I think a midwife suggested that to me while I was in the hospital (kind of a blur).