PDA

View Full Version : Treasure box for three year old

crl
03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I let dd have an old jewelry box of mine and she loves playing "treasure" with it. But she has pulled one of the hinges out of the wood. Any suggestions for a treasure box that would be sturdy enough to stand up to a three year old? I would like to give her one for her third birthday so I'd like to find something kind of special.

Thanks!
Catherine

IansMom
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
DS has one. We picked it out at Michaels (its a hinged one with latch shaped like a mini pirate chest). I also let him pick out things to decorate it with at the store. Not sure if that is special enough, but he was very proud to decorate it himself.

crl
03-07-2013, 12:42 AM
DS has one. We picked it out at Michaels (its a hinged one with latch shaped like a mini pirate chest). I also let him pick out things to decorate it with at the store. Not sure if that is special enough, but he was very proud to decorate it himself.

I am sure it would be very special! But how are the hinges? I ask since dd pulled one out of the wood in the jewelry box I gave her in less than two months. And she wasn't trying to destroy it, she's just not good at being really careful yet.

Thanks!
Catherine

IansMom
03-07-2013, 10:37 AM
The hinges are very sturdy and are similar to the ones on the Melissa and Doug latches board. My son is 4, and the box has been treated very roughly, including dropped a few times. It still looksnew.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I was considering the pirate chest one at Michael's for my nephew but never ended up buying it.

However, I had already gotten DD a Caboodles brand clear plastic & metal petite train case when I started to lose track of all the hair doodads I was buying her.

It's closest in shape & style to this one:

http://www.caboodles.com/#/products

zukeypur
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM

This sounds like exactly what MIL bought for DD2. She keeps all of her treasures in it.

citymama
03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Don't get something "special" for a 3 yr old unless you're prepared to have it handled roughly. DD1 got a jewelry box for her 4th bday and she is quite careful with her things and even that got pulled off the hinges. I gave DD2 a kid's size shoe box we decorated together with stickers and glitter glue. It sounds like you are keen to get her a box for her 3rd, but if you can wait, I'd recommend it. Or look at a good toy store in the musical box sections - those are likely to be more sturdy.

wellyes
03-07-2013, 02:18 PM
DD has a caboodles type box.
She also has a pretty cheap music box with a twirling ballerina... the kind that is really just thick cardboard.

For a 3 year old, I recommend Caboodle. And plastic box with dividers and a big plastic hinge opener. We got ours at TJ Maxx.

crl
03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Thank you!
Catherine

acmom
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the "treasure box" idea, crl! My kids would both love one and it would give them a place for all those little special items that are all over the house! Did you choose one yet for your DD?

crl
03-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the "treasure box" idea, crl! My kids would both love one and it would give them a place for all those little special items that are all over the house! Did you choose one yet for your DD?

I think I am going to get her one from Land of Nod:
http://www.landofnod.com/treasure-box-bird/f11602

No hinges to break. Nice enough to feel special for a birthday present, but not so expensive that I will be upset when/if it gets destroyed.

I was actually just coming to get opinions on which one to order. Flags? Birds? The designs are all cute, but nothing immediately jumps out at me.

Catherine