PDA

View Full Version : My Sister and Her Dog: WWYD?

Raidra
03-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Some background: we live in a two-family house, us upstairs and my parents and my 25 year old sister downstairs. My sister is highly sensitive, frequently irrational, and irresponsible. She does not pay rent and my parents pay several of her bills. My mother has major health problems. We have an 11 year old dog and 3 cats.

My sister adopted a dog last fall - a 2 year old pug/JRT mix. She asked us all to give her the okay and after reading the dog's description on the shelter's website, I told her that I had major reservations - she was described as shy and not okay with cats. Since she got her dog, she has not done any training with her whatsoever. The dog jumps on all the furniture at will, and often jumps on my mother's lap which is painful for her. She starts territorial fights with my dog. She jumps up on people when they're walking, and she nips a lot. Now, some of that is playful puppy stuff, I know. But she's also very fearful and will balk at the strangest things. She will also cower on my father's or my sister's laps sometimes. I've told her many, many times that I can see things worsening until she bites one of my kids, unless she does some major work.

My sister's not willing to do any work with her dog. She frequently walks her for under five minutes in the morning before rushing off to work, insisting that my father take her for a walk. My boys walk the dog during the day, but she doesn't always feel safe enough to poop when they walk her (my guess), and then she poops in my parents' house. I had volunteered to keep her upstairs with us while my sister's at work, at least some of the time, but she chews the kids' toys and poops up here, too. When my sister gets home, she'll take her for a walk around the block, but that's it. Then she gets mad at my parents for not playing with the dog enough during the day, when the dog keeps my sister up at night. She also says its their fault if the dog poops in the house.

Anyway. You can see that I have a lot of resentment over this. We recently asked her to start contributing towards utilities and she said, "Well, I'll have to calculate how much water/electricity I actually use, and I only have the one small bedroom..." I'm trying to separate out my desire to control her behavior and manipulate her from my desire to protect my kids. The dog nipped at my sister's face two days ago - I was there but couldn't tell if it was aggressive, territorial, or just because she was excited. I'm afraid that one of my kids will be bitten, but I don't see my sister doing anything about it. I'm considering telling her that I can't let the kids be alone with her dog until she has the dog evaluated by a professional (which means they can't walk her during the day), but I'm unsure if I'm just trying to be manipulative, or if that's a reasonable boundary to set.

I'm sorry this is so long.. I just wanted to give enough background so you guys could get the big picture. What do you guys think? What would you do?

Thanks!

twowhat?
03-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Oh uuuuugh! I would definitely never leave the dog alone with your kids!! The dog is her responsibility, and if it were up to me I would not let anyone help her with the dog. At all. Unfortunately it also makes me feel bad for the dog...

Not sure there's a whole lot else you can do while you're all living under the same roof:(

And wait, did you say JOB? She sure as hell can contribute to utilities AND rent. Sheesh.

vonfirmath
03-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't leave your kids alone with the dog or do anything to help with the dog.

BUT. There isn't much else you can do. its up to your mother or father to put their foot down if they don't want to be responsible for the dog.

if it is causing stress in the family to too great an extent, you might need to find somewhere else to live.

Actually, rereading -- do you have a separate apartment from your parents? Or are you all in the same house and you guys just reside "upstairs"?
Who owns the house?

hillview
03-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I might get a trainer to come and evaluate the dog, make recommendations and if sister is open to doing them, do that if not might be best to rehome the dog. I agree with pp, it isn't your problem per se, I'd let your parents and sister deal with is and try to not get involved. I wouldn't leave my kids with that dog. Sorry that stinks!

AngB
03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Since she's not paying rent/utilities, I would encourage her to get a dog walker to take the dog on long walks during the day, I would not have your kids doing it.

BunnyBee
03-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't let my kids around the dog or let it in my space. Scrub hardwoods down with Nature's Miracle, get carpets professionally cleaned and never let it back upstairs.

Your parents have to deal with it in theirs. If I were in their shoes and did not want the responsibility of taking care of the dog myself, I would require her to keep it crated in her room while not being supervised by her. Or tell her to call a pug rescue.

TwinFoxes
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't let my kids around the dog or let it in my space. Scrub hardwoods down with Nature's Miracle, get carpets professionally cleaned and never let it back upstairs.

Your parents have to deal with it in theirs. If I were in their shoes and did not want the responsibility of taking care of the dog myself, I would require her to keep it crated in her room while not being supervised by her. Or tell her to call a pug rescue.

:yeahthat: poor dog.

As for utilities, it seems your parents should ask her to pay part of their share. You can't make them make her be responsible.

MamaMolly
03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Lots going on there!

IMO the only thing you can control in this situation would be you and your kids. If the dog is being aggressive then he needs training, end of story. I don't think it would be manipulative (in a bad way) to tell her that you can't/won't help with the dog, nor will your kids, until it has been evaluated and trained. Your job is to protect your kids. What you don't want to do is enable your sister to continue being irresponsible at the expense of your home and kids.

But give her an olive branch maybe? Offer to allow your kids to participate in the training if she'll pay for it. If she won't pay for it, then wash your hands of the dog. She's an adult and can enjoy the consequences of her choices either way.

Kestrel
03-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I echo a lot of the above advice.

Thought I'd mention, though, since the dog came from a shelter, the shelter may have a trainer that could do an evaluation for free. Ours did, and said it was pretty common; they don't want the dogs back - the want them in homes.

wellyes
03-07-2013, 06:22 PM
I agree with the PPs. Your kids walking the dog won't make up for the lack of training and attention its getting.

I would not have your kids interact with it and I wouldn't let it in your home.

Poor dog.

Raidra
03-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks so much for all the input, guys! I do feel like asking her to get her dog evaluated at the very least before my kids keep walking her is a good choice. I can just feel myself getting very Big Sister (or codependent, or bossy, or bitchy, or holier-than-thou, whatever you want to call it), and I'm trying not to let that side color my decision. :)

FWIW, there's no training available from the shelter.. our area's shelters typically brings in puppies/dogs from out of state because we've had a very successful spay/neuter program, so there's more demand than supply. Her dog was part of a transport but there wasn't really a specific shelter to deal with. I know that sounds really sketchy, but I checked it out (having volunteered with shelters before) and it was fine.

Anyway. This is going to turn into a rant, but my sister came upstairs today and said she wanted to spend the night at her F-Buddy's house in the city, and could we please walk the dog for her. My father's out of town, my mother is disabled and certainly can't care for the dog, and my husband and I are sick. And she didn't even ask it nicely.. she was paying my son for the dog-walking and said to him, "And what do you think we can do to get your Mom and Dad to walk her for me tonight?" When I told her no, she said, "Oh, well, maybe I can have my friend come over and walk her." UGH.

doberbrat
03-07-2013, 11:05 PM
North Shore Kennel Club might be a good place to look for some training.

Personally, I would not let the dog into my house and I would not let my kids walk the dog anymore. if the dog gets into an altercation with another dog, your kids could be hurt - possibly even badly. Every time the dog gets away with nipping/bitting, the behavior is reinforced. It learns that its ok to do that. So, the problems will continue to get worse. likewise, every time it gets to poop in the house, it learns that its an acceptable behavior.

I'm certainly not one to think that a nippy dog should be gotten rid of imediately, but if its owner is not going to work to improve the situation, then its reasonably foreseable that someone is going to get hurt. Such a sad situation for the dog.

Sadly, I think your parents must be the ones to address the other issues.

maestramommy
03-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Since so many things regarding the dog are out of your hands, I'd control what you can. I wouldn't let your kids walk the dog, and just don't watch the dog. If your sister gets mad, just stay calm and repeat that the dog's behavior makes it unsafe to be around your kids, besides not being reliably housetrained.

poor dog :(