PDA

View Full Version : Where is your dishwasher?

cono0507
03-07-2013, 04:27 PM
We are working on getting our kitchen remodeled and finishing up design plans. DH and I are disagreeing on dishwasher placement (left or right of sink). Right is better from a space perspective, the dishes will be stored in cabinets to the right of the sink, and not getting in the way of other cabinets but one of us is convinced left side is the more common location ergonomically.
We are both right handed.
Which side is yours on?

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Left and the cabinets we unload to are on the right. It works just fine.

sariana
03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Ours is to the right. If it were on the left, it would be in the corner and not convenient. We are in a "tract," however. So in the mirror-image models, the kitchen is reversed and it is on the left.

Mermanaid
03-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Left of the sink. Works well with our layout as the sink isn't quite centered on the wall so putting the dishes to the right doesn't feel like you are in a small space.

crl
03-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Don't have one. But IME either side of the sink works, you just get used to it.

Catherine

PunkyBoo
03-07-2013, 04:37 PM
A kitchen designer we once talked to told me to think of the most common path you will take dishes from eating to disheasher. He said it shoukd be in a linear order from table to trash can to sink to dishwasher. Since we go into the kitchen from the dining room to the right of the sink, the first stop is the trash can to scrape dishes, so our trash is right of the sink. Then the sink. Then the dw is left of the sink. Hth!

infocrazy
03-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Ours is to the right, but we have a peninsula on the other side so you need to basically stand at the sink to unload. If I have anything to unload into the cabinets above/in the peninsula, I cannot access while the dishwasher door is open. Fortunately, this isn't a big deal because of what we store ib there (mostly handwash and non-dishes) but I would take into account where you would stand and where things go when making the decision.

hellokitty
03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Ours is to the right, but not the way you would think. I have one cabinet and a lazy susan to my right and my counter makes a 90 degree angle and THEN my DW is there. It is a really dumb design. Basically, my DW is to to the right, almost behind me, so I have to do a long stretch. I think either side would be ok, but as someone who is right handed, I am glad that at least mine is on the right hand side. My sil has my dream, TWO DWs and she has one on each side of her sink and doesn't seem to mind switching back and forth. I mean, who would mind, when you've got TWO DWs helping you?

sunshine873
03-07-2013, 05:06 PM
I don't think it's a matter of whether left or right of the sink is preferred, but where it will fit best when you need to put the dishes away? Our old house, the dishwasher was right next to a corner and blocked all of the cabinets where it made sense for dishes to go. So first we had to unload onto the counter, then place dishes in the cabinet. Two steps...not fun. Now our dishwasher is to the left of the sink (on a peninsula) and the dishes go into cabinets that are on the wall, a little to the right of the sink. It's a much better set up.

JBaxter
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I like the layout of mine here is a pic before we moved in http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/jeanaspictures/lexhouse_zps7bbace27.jpg

twowhat?
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
We've lived in houses with both (left and right). We are right-handed. It doesn't make a lick of difference:)

I would put it where you don't have cabinets above it though if that's an option. A lot of the time I like to leave the dishwasher open to let things finish drying (or to let things air dry to save energy), and if you have cabinets above the dishwasher it makes it a pain to access those cabinets while the dishwasher is open.

boolady
03-07-2013, 05:11 PM
To the right. We don't keep our dishes on the same side of the kitchen as the sink/dishwasher, though, because we really only have one upper cabinet on that side due to a really big window over the sink.

At our previous home, it was to the left. I really have no preference in that regard.

lovin2shop
03-07-2013, 05:22 PM
A kitchen designer we once talked to told me to think of the most common path you will take dishes from eating to disheasher. He said it shoukd be in a linear order from table to trash can to sink to dishwasher. Since we go into the kitchen from the dining room to the right of the sink, the first stop is the trash can to scrape dishes, so our trash is right of the sink. Then the sink. Then the dw is left of the sink. Hth!

I think this explains exactly why I despise our kitchen layout so much! Ours is exactly the opposite and it is a royal pain, especially when I have the boys helping me and we are all bumping into each other.

codex57
03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Didn't realize it mattered. I've had it on both sides. Didn't seem to matter one way or another. It's currently on the right. Last house was on the left. House I grew up in was on the left. College apartment and apartments after that were on right except for one.

ilfaith
03-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I actually have two dishwashers...one on either side of the sink.

In our last house the dishwasher was to the right of the sink. In the house where I grew up, it was to the left (in between I lived in a series of small NYC apartments with tiny kitchens and no dishwashers). I don't think it makes much difference which side of the sink the dishwasher is. I am just happy I don't have to wash everything by hand.

KLD313
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
It's to the right of the sink but it doesn't really matter because my slobby BF walks right by it to throw dishes in the sink. I actully think I like it to the right better because I'm right handed but I've never had a dishwasher to the left to know if that's true.

Melaine
03-07-2013, 05:39 PM
ours is on the right and I hate it! We have two sides to our sink, the left side with the disposal, the right side with a drainer for clean dishes. When you scrape and rinse the dish, you have to go over/across the clean side of the sink to get the dish to the dishwasher. drives me nuts! I would prefer the DW to be closest to the main sink so that nothing gross drips on the dishes in the clean side of the sink. We have a pretty small kitchen though so there really aren't many ways it could have been set up.

cono0507
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Apparently "they" say for right handed people a left sided DW is better because you will hold the dish in your left hand while you scrub with the right and the you can just place that dish in the dishwasher without switching hands.

I've been leaning toward wanting it on the right since it will be closer to where we dishes away and I could simply just place them in the cabinet.

However you have given me food for thought here. I'm liking PP's idea where coming from the table you hit the garbage first then sink then DW which would place it on the left. Hmmmm.... Never thought I'd spend so much time pondering this!

joonbug
03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Just voted "on the right' and evened out the score lol. Sorry!