PDA

View Full Version : What does your company offered health insurance offer?

firstbaby
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
DH's company was recently bought and they are transitioning to another company. I can't put a lot of the details out there, but the employees are majorly losing out. We will be transitioning from an awesome PPO to a HSA...and paying about the same per month in premiums. Ouch. I'm starting to wonder what is "typical" out there for insurance now to decide if the grass would be greener, or if it would be a wash. So, can you share what type of insurance you have (PPO, HMO, HSA) and how much do you pay OOP for a family? Just to get the ball rolling, we have been paying just over $300 / mo for family PPO coverage.

sariana
03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
When we first moved back to CA, DH's company offered Kaiser (HMO), among others. But we like Kaiser.

A couple of years ago his company was bought out, and the new company did not offer Kaiser. Their options were awful, all high deductible, high OoP costs. So we declined and got coverage through the Reserve (TriCare).

DH recently moved to a new company. They offer Kaiser, but it is not the HMo we had before. It is a high-deductible plan with pretty high costs. So even though the Kaiser was one of the reasons he took the job, we decided to stay with TriCare.

Now with sequestration though, that might have been a mistake. We'll see.

We pay just under $200 a month for he four of us, and our family deductible is $300. But our options for doctors are pretty limited.

jjordan
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
We have a high deductible plan with an HSA. I believe that the employee pays around $1000 of the yearly (family) premium through payroll deductions, the rest is paid for by the employer. The deductible is, I think, around $5200 this year, and the employer contributes half of that amount to our HSA in two lump sums.

This is the second year of this plan. The first year we had a baby about 5 weeks into the fiscal year, so her birth maxed out our deductible. In this second year, we'll have a baby a few weeks before the end of the fiscal year and so we'll max out our deductible once more.

JBaxter
03-07-2013, 04:57 PM
We have a PPO, dental, eye prescription coverage and 2x salary policy if DH dies.
260/ month. we have a 250 in network deduct 500 out. $15 dr visits

codex57
03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
State. 3 options I think. One is Blue Shield PPO. THen, there's a limited PPO option that's kind of a cross btw HMO and PPO. Then Kaiser (HMO). Dunno the deductible, but for a family of 4 or more, I'd have to pay about $650ish/mo. I think slightly more.

That's supposed to be a pretty good deal compared to private.

I dunno what the dental and vision is. I believe I pay for vision and it's only $8/mo.

We use DW's benefits instead. She works for a HMO and we only pay $50/mo for the family. I think that includes dental and vision too. She gets a bunch of other stuff like life insurance, disability, etc for only a few bucks more a month too. $20/mo maybe? Currently $5 deductible. Ridiculously cheap. I had an outpatient surgery and all I paid was $5. Maybe another $5 for pain pills, but I can't remember. Labs and stuff were free. Going up to $20 deductible next year.

KLD313
03-07-2013, 05:40 PM
My private insurance for the kids and me is $848 a month if that helps you at all. We have a $3,000 deductible and we don't pay anything for well checks and no prescription coverage. I would imagine things are going to be changing a lot insurance wise.

niccig
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
We have a PPO, dental, eye prescription coverage and 2x salary policy if DH dies.
260/ month. we have a 250 in network deduct 500 out. $15 dr visits

We had similar policy at DH's old work. Best thing about the place was the health insurance. New work, DH is 100% paid for, DS and I cost $600 a month and no vision. So we pay more in new company, but DH gets paid more. DH's waiting until I'm done with school and start to work, hoping to get better health insurance options then.

Green_Tea
03-07-2013, 05:58 PM
We recently got great insurance due to my new job, but before that we paid $900/month in premiums and had a $6000 deductible. And it didn't cover maternity.

cindys
03-07-2013, 06:18 PM
We have 2 options...One is United Healthcare $75/month for family and crazy deductibles and out of pocket expenses....

I went with the Kaiser option...

$75/month for family...$20 copay, no deductibles and all preventative care is 100% covered....

Vision and Dental is total of $8/month for the family...

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

o_mom
03-07-2013, 09:26 PM
We pay $110/mo for a high-deductible plan. $3000 deductible, 80/20 after that, $8000 OOP limit (includes the $3k, so $5k more). The company kicks in $1000 to our HSA, so our effective cost is $300/yr. We max out the HSA every year.

We also have options for two PPO type plans, one is higher copays, 80/20, the other is 90/10 with lower copays. The premiums are way higher, though and we only have FSA to fund. When we switched I figured out that worst case scenario if we maxed out that HDHP with the $8000, we would still be no worse off than if we bought one of the other plans after premiums were factored in. We have not yet had to max out the OOP and have built up a pretty good balance in the HSA so that if we did we would not have to dip into our regular savings.

The company is self-insured, so they really, really want people on the HSA option.

This is just medical -Dental and vision are extra, but minor in the scheme of things. I have no idea what we pay, dental seems to all be covered, vision is like $20 copays.