PDA

View Full Version : Tipping question

ahisma
03-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Do you tip when you get take out?

Does it change if you get it from the deli case (at a restaurant) instead of off the menu?

I never know what to do in these instances. Since it's a restaurant there's a tip line in the receipt and it just doesn't feel right to leave that line blank. But, 20% on a meal that's just pulled out of the deli case pre-wrapped feels strange too.

twowhat?
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Sometimes I'll put a $1 tip on for $30 worth of take-out, esp if they are cheerful and hand me a neatly packaged bag. But it kind of depends on my mood:) I hope that's not a cheapskate answer...

trcy
03-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't tip for take out. IMO it is no different than fast food & there is no tipping there. But I am a cheapskate :)

KLD313
03-07-2013, 05:52 PM
If I'm just picking up a regular order I usually don't tip. I tip well otherwise but not for that.

sarahsthreads
03-07-2013, 05:55 PM
I really never quite know what you're supposed to do. For counter service places that I frequent (like, they recognize me because I'm there often) I usually put $1-$2 in the tip jar in lieu of writing anything on the receipt. I assume (maybe incorrectly?) that counter service only places (like Moe's or Starbucks) pay their employees full wages. But the diner across the street from where I work I tend to tip the normal amount (15-20%, whatever is a roundish number) because the server who packages up my takeout order is not making full wages without tips.

Does that make sense?

Sarah :)

Pennylane
03-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Nope, never! IMO it is no difference than picking up my dry cleaning and I wouldn't tip them. I hate those jars and every place has them out now. Unless I sit and eat, I don't tip.

Ann

wellyes
03-07-2013, 06:23 PM
No, unless I'm a regular, in which case I tip generously.

waitingforgrace
03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
No I don't tip take out

ett
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I don't tip for takeout.

elbenn
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I usually tip $1-$3, but I've always wondered if most people tipped more. I'm glad to see that seems to be in line with what many others do. I do think it is vastly different than when you dine in and so a bigger tip seems unnecessary.

crl
03-07-2013, 06:47 PM
It depends on the total of the order. Assuming decent service, at the taqueria where my cheese quesadilla costs about $2.50 I will throw the change in the tip jar. At more expensive places I will do $1-2 depending on the size of the order.

Catherine

maiaann
03-07-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't tip, but DH does sometimes. The last time we got "On the Border" to go, DH said the clerk acted like she expected a tip. I think he feels guilty when they see an "X" on the credit card "tip" line.

queenmama
03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
For takeout? No, never! Why on earth would I? I don't tip at a fast food restaurant, even the ones that bring the food to you instead of having you stand at the counter. Does putting food in cartons/in a bag earn a tip over putting food on a tray? Not in my book.

And I'm not a cheapskate. I always tip 20% minimum at sit-down restaurants or for delivery.

Lara

mommylamb
03-08-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't tip if I'm picking it up. I do tip if it's delivered, but I don't tip as much as I would tip a server in a restaurant.

mom3boys
03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
I don't tip when I pick up takeout. In fact that's sometimes the reason I request take-out rather than delivery, so I can get it more cheaply.

For sit-down restaurant I tip 20% and for delivery I usually tip 15%+ (usually I am paying cash so it's whatever rounds out the price to a paper bill, I'm not going to give or ask for coins).

nbarrett78
03-08-2013, 03:10 PM
It depends on the type of place. If it is Moe's or some time of place that you order and get food at counter, then no.
HOWEVER, if it is a restaurant, like Applebee's, Chili's or somewhere that you get served. Then yes tip 15% at least. The server/bartender has to take the time to put the food together, and to go food actually takes longer. Plus the server/bartender who is working to-go does not make minimum wage, it is $2.13 (at least in GA). Your order takes away from their time for tables and in-house guests.
Hope this helps clear up any confusion. You can always choose how you want to tip, but this will eventually affect your service. To-Go orders are known for not being good tips, so servers are reluctant to take an order or get it out.

LizLemon
03-09-2013, 12:56 AM
My husband and I picked up takeout sushi last night. The employee who handed us the check showed us where to sign and "there's the line for gratuity." I was floored - for takeout!