PDA

View Full Version : DD not gaining weight again, do I need to do something to increase my supply?

edurnemk
03-07-2013, 06:07 PM
We went in for DD's 8 month checkup today (we go every month because we spread out vaccinations), she didn't gain any weight this month (still at 15.5 lb). She was sick most of the month with colds and coughs, croups a couple of nights. Many times while sick she just didn't want to eat solids, so I didn't push it. She should still be getting most of her nourishment from BM, right? Plus, she's picky about textures.

The Ped wasn't overly worried, but of course I am, because I tend to worry and question myself.

1. Should I push solids a bit more? I've been veeeery lax and taken it very slow with her so far. We only do 2 feedings per day so far and she doesn't usually eat a lot.

2. Should I do something to increase BM supply? She's EBF, and I'm hoping to get to 12 months. Could my supply have decreased suddenly? I've never had supply issues before. DD nurses about 8 times a day, but she's a quick nurser, I don't think she gets more than 3-4 oz per feeding based on what I can pump and the few bottles she occasionally drinks.

Simon
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
If she has been sick, I'd wait one more month before I did anything, personally. I think its totally normal for an infant who has been sick to not gain any weight and also for babies to slow down in their gaining after 6 months. Ds3 even lost weight between 9 and 10.5 months (close to a pound) but because he had been sick we just kept an eye on his next weigh in and he gained it back.

1. No, don't push solids. If anything, keep delaying them more. They are less calorie dense so if she fills up on solids of any kind, she is getting fewer overall calories. Push more nursing, if anything.

2. I wouldn't try to increase my supply, just increase the total # of nursing sessions, if anything. If your supply goes up but she isn't really hungry enough for more milk, she'll just end up getting more foremilk and less hindmilk (the good fatty, calorie laden stuff). That would be the opposite of what you want. With more sessions, it can help boost her overall intake and might increase your supply but since its driven by her, it should help keep your fore/hind milk balance okay.

I would just make sure any solids I do offer have more calories (whole milk yogurt, cheese, egg vs. fruits and veggies).

MommyAllison
03-07-2013, 07:04 PM
If she has been sick, I'd wait one more month before I did anything, personally. I think its totally normal for an infant who has been sick to not gain any weight and also for babies to slow down in their gaining after 6 months.

:yeahthat: If your ped isn't concerned, I'd just hang in there for another month.

queenmama
03-07-2013, 08:36 PM
If she has been sick, I'd wait one more month before I did anything, personally. I think its totally normal for an infant who has been sick to not gain any weight and also for babies to slow down in their gaining after 6 months. Ds3 even lost weight between 9 and 10.5 months (close to a pound) but because he had been sick we just kept an eye on his next weigh in and he gained it back.

1. No, don't push solids. If anything, keep delaying them more. They are less calorie dense so if she fills up on solids of any kind, she is getting fewer overall calories. Push more nursing, if anything.

2. I wouldn't try to increase my supply, just increase the total # of nursing sessions, if anything. If your supply goes up but she isn't really hungry enough for more milk, she'll just end up getting more foremilk and less hindmilk (the good fatty, calorie laden stuff). That would be the opposite of what you want. With more sessions, it can help boost her overall intake and might increase your supply but since its driven by her, it should help keep your fore/hind milk balance okay.

I would just make sure any solids I do offer have more calories (whole milk yogurt, cheese, egg vs. fruits and veggies).

All of this! I would cut back on solids and increase nursing sessions until she catches back up. I'm sure it is just from being sick.

I've never pumped in any significant quantities (and not at all with DD) but it is my understanding that babies are able to get more milk than any pump. I know a lot of mamas worry about production but supposedly you can't go by what you see in the bottle. Anyone care to chime in on this?

Lara

edurnemk
03-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. For some reason I'm a lot more apprehensive with DD, she had trouble gaining weight around 2-3 months as well, and was pretty low on the growth curve for a while. DS was always around 40-50th percentile and also never got sick as a baby, whereas DD was been sick on and off for 2 months (EI, colds, croup).

She's been cluster nursing during the early morning and late afternoon, and I let her have as much access to the breast as she wants, the rest of the day she nurses every 2 hours. She's also been waking up to nurse several times during the night since she first got sick, sigh... I'm exhausted, honestly.

sunnyside
03-12-2013, 02:17 PM
My daughter grew very very slowly in the second half of the first year.
Between 9m and 12m she only gained 1 pound total.

I think you're fine. I wouldn't push more solids. My DD also did not take to solids very quickly. Breast milk is more important than solids at her age. Just keep nursing as often as she wants. Keep us posted. :)