PDA

View Full Version : Primo bathtub -- whoa, it's huge! (and mine is fugly)

queenmama
03-07-2013, 09:34 PM
(Yes, sorry, I said fugly, because "effing ugly" is the only way to describe it. More on that later...)

Where do you store this thing when not in use? Do you just leave it in the big tub? DH hates that since we only have one tub/shower combo upstairs and we never use the guest shower downstairs. He thinks it'll be annoying to take the two seconds every day to move it out and then put it back in after showering. :rolleyes:

He's been showering Agnes but she is getting too heavy to hold while slippery and trying to maneuver the soap bottle, etc. I ordered the Primo based on rave reviews but I didn't realize how massive the thing is! I figured we would stick it next to the tub or by the toilet but it is too big to store anywhere but in the tub, I think. I don't think I'd mind as much as DH.

I'm also disappointed -- petty gripe -- that the blue is nothing like the picture on Amazon or the Primo website. They show a bright blue, almost like a turquoise (about like our Bumbo), even in the user photos on Amazon. Ours is a hideous 1980s country blue. I would've gotten the pearl white but it was $12 more and wasn't eligible for Prime shipping.

I'm thinking of sending it back. Am I nuts? Do you think it is so awesome that it's worth keeping? What do you think about the color issue? I had to take a photo to show you, it really is that awful!

Too bad, it actually looks like a nice, innocuous baby blue here. I could handle that. I cannot handle the images that the actual blue bring to mind. Ruffled valances and lacy toilet seat covers. I feel like I need to redecorate my bathroom with ducks in ribbons and a shelf with heart cut-outs.

If this really is a wonder bath and worth storing, do they carry it at Target or BRU? In white. Just plain white that you can't mess up. Because I am not keeping this pukey blue thing regardless.

Lara

jgenie
03-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Ours had a hole at the top that you could use to hang it from a hook on the wall. We kept ours in the tub. DS1 loved it and used it even after DS2 was born so it never needed to be removed to use the tub.

LMPC
03-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah, the thing is HUGE but it worked for us. DD has a bathroom next to her room that's not shared with anyone else. So it was easy just to leave it in the tub. I could see where it would be a pain if you only have one tub, though. I liked it as DD got older, because even though she could sit up, using the Primo used a lot less water than just putting her in the regular tub.

jammytoast
03-07-2013, 10:39 PM
We have one bath/shower and always kept it in there. Just moved it out and back in when we were done. Wasn't that big of a deal.

Even with that inconvience, firmly believe that the Eurotub was THE Best piece of baby gear we ever used. DS bathed in it until he was about 3. So much less water and easier to clean that a big tub.

So yes, keep it. You won't notice the color in a while (ours was white)

123LuckyMom
03-07-2013, 10:41 PM
We have the white one. It got TONS of use with DS. We were able to use it on the vanity when he was little and then as an insert in the big tub when he got older. I used to freak when we went on vacation, and I couldn't take it along!!! We've only used it a couple of times with DD, because now I have big brother to help hold her in the big tub. If you hate it, return it. You don't really NEED it. It is helpful, though, to have that contouring so baby doesn't slip around when you're washing him or her. It also saves a lot of water usage to fill the basin vs. the big tub.

kaharris83
03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Can you help your DH while he showers with your DD? We usually do it as a 2 person thing. One outside the shower to help with soap and take baby when washing is done. As soon as DS1 was walking well he started standing in the shower.

jam224
03-08-2013, 04:37 AM
We have the Primo tub and love it. I knew that it would be huge when I registered for it though. We keep ours in the tub, but DD has the guest bathroom all to herself. Do you need to store it just while someone is using the shower? You could get a door hook (http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-16400-Over-the-door-Hook/dp/B000LNRIBU/) for the back of the bathroom door and temporarily store it there.

As for getting it in white, it looks like you can get it at BRU for $28.99: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404856&. If it's not available at your store, you could order it online from BuyBuyBaby. It's $24.99 and shipping is $5.99: http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=14909478&.

If you're really unhappy with it being a space hog, maybe you'd like the Flexibath instead? http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Flexibath-Foldable-Bathtub/dp/B004NRNSNC/

Melaine
03-08-2013, 06:51 AM
I think moving it out of the big tub is a lot less trouble than holding a heavy, wiggling 10 month old in the shower. (speaking as someone who is still holding a heavy, wiggling 10 month old in the shower). I think the primo is totally worth it also (one of our favorite things with the girls). I haven't used it yet with DS because I was a little hesitant to bathe him because of his UTIs. I think it's probably about time to get back to baths (he hasn't had a bath since he was a couple months old). We used the Primo on our counter and then when the girls were bigger in the tub. We used it until they were nearly 2!

hillview
03-08-2013, 08:14 AM
We had a primo in our tiny condo with DS1. Still hands down the best tub. We stored it behind the door or in the tub. Yes it is huge and ugly but it works super well. You will only have it for a few years. It is just the beginning of ugly plastic invading your house :) think high chairs, exersaucers ..

Multimama
03-08-2013, 08:40 AM
I bought this tub because of rave reviews here and I thought it was completely pointless. :bag

It's big, ugly, expensive and is a total unitasker. Plus rather than making it easier to keep my child contained it just made it easier for him to climb out. Guess what I bath my baby in now? The bathtub. He's perfectly happy and I already have a place to put it.

ETA: If your DH likes showering with your DD he could get a water sling. We have a solarveil one, but i know they make mesh ones too. That way baby is fully supported and your hands are free.

lizzywednesday
03-08-2013, 11:03 AM
I got a hand-me-down baby tub and we used it 'til DD could sit up unassisted (5-6 months or so?) and then I just plunked her into the regular tub with suction-cup decals on the bottom to help with slippery baby issues.

By the time she started climbing into the shower with me, I'd stopped holding her in the shower & would soap her up & leave her to splash in the bottom of the tub while I washed myself.

I'd only pick her up for a final rinse. It worked for us.

I looked at the Primo, but couldn't figure out where the heck I was going to put it when it wasn't in use. I say consign or return it, OP.

larig
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I had one of the blow-up tubs that someone here recommended, and it was fantastic. DS used it forever. It wasn't attractive, but the fact that I could deflate it if I needed it out of the way was nice. I twas something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Kirby-Inflatable-Tub/dp/B001MTELJY

swissair81
03-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I have a blooming baby bath. It's this big flower with petals you can arrange to support the baby. I hang it from our shower handle.

YouAreTheFocus
03-08-2013, 12:50 PM
If you're taking votes, I vote for the Flexibath folding tub, as a PP mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Flexibath-Foldable-Bathtub/dp/B004NRNSNC/

With one bathroom, I really think this is the way to go. The folding aspect is awesome for getting it out of the way. My DS went from tiny baby bathtub into this one--and he is still in it at 3y+. And their colors are way better :p

jennilynn
03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I had one of the huge Ikea baby tubs last time, and couldn't ever figure out where to put it. This time, I got a Puj Tub and it looks really cool, but you can only use it in the sink. So I'm not sure what we'll do when baby outgrows it but isn't yet ready for the big tub.

lmh2402
03-08-2013, 11:27 PM
We have one bath/shower and always kept it in there. Just moved it out and back in when we were done. Wasn't that big of a deal.

Even with that inconvience, firmly believe that the Eurotub was THE Best piece of baby gear we ever used. DS bathed in it until he was about 3. So much less water and easier to clean that a big tub.

So yes, keep it. You won't notice the color in a while (ours was white)

:yeahthat: pretty much exactly.

we keep it standing in the tub in the kids' bathroom. we move it out when DS is going to take a bath, and then move it back in for DD and/or for storage

mom2khj
03-09-2013, 12:08 AM
It is huge! The only reason we used it was because DS was so big, he outgrew the other baby tubs before he could sit up.

I never used it in the bathroom though, I just used it on the kitchen counter. So it got "stored" out in the open, in the kitchen, until we were done using it!

queenmama
03-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback. DH has decided to suck it up and deal with storing it in our tub. He likes that it's big enough for her to splash & play and that we don't have to fill up the whole (big) tub like we would if we got some kind of bath seat, which is what he was really wanting since it'd be easier to store.

I really do hate that blue, though. I'll keep it but knock off a star on my review and mention it. It was uncool for them to misrepresent it so grossly (no pun intended [it is such a gross color!]).

Lara

queenmama
03-09-2013, 12:12 AM
I got a hand-me-down baby tub and we used it 'til DD could sit up unassisted (5-6 months or so?) and then I just plunked her into the regular tub with suction-cup decals on the bottom to help with slippery baby issues.

By the time she started climbing into the shower with me, I'd stopped holding her in the shower & would soap her up & leave her to splash in the bottom of the tub while I washed myself.

I'd only pick her up for a final rinse. It worked for us.

The bath ring thing is what DH wanted in the first place, but I couldn't find one!

And we did "bathe" Henry the way you mentioned. It'll be so much easier when she's old enough to play in the tub while we shower!

Lara

hellokitty
03-09-2013, 12:36 AM
I agree that it's huge, but it is the most awesome baby tub. The blue color is gross, I can see why you don't like it. For storage, one thing we have done when we have guests over (typically, we just keep it in the tub), is dry off the bottom and slide it under the baby's crib, assuming the crib is still in the higher mattress position if you have an older style crib. It is a hulk of a tub though and I would be annoyed if we only had one bathroom and had this big baby tub taking up space.

Kaylee31
03-09-2013, 12:55 AM
I just listed my white primo tub on freecycle today, by coincidence. It is huge, but I knew that from the Amazon reviews. Our house & bathroom is pretty small, so I would leave it in the tub to dry, then store it in the hallway outside the bathroom door. I did get the bright (actually incredibly stupid) idea once to buy a Command hook and hang it in the bathroom wall out of the way. Ripped a chunk out of the wall. Not recommended! ;)
It is a great tub, but I started just putting DD in the regular tub by 6 months, and sat her on a bath sponge until I was sure she wouldn't slide around. Not sure why I held on the primo so long. I thought I might use it occasionally, but never did.

tg_canada
03-09-2013, 01:12 AM
I've got a Boon Naked http://www.booninc.com/products/Naked/610

Love how it collapses flat then I use the attached hook to hang it on a robe hook on the wall.

Glad the Primo is working out for you though. I considered one years ago but it wasn't easy to find in Canada except at a few baby boutiques with outrageous shipping costs due to the size of it.

lizzywednesday
03-09-2013, 09:59 AM
The bath ring thing is what DH wanted in the first place, but I couldn't find one!

I didn't even bother with a ring. Maybe I should put a bag over my head?

Once DD was able to sit up on her own, I'd put a few inches of water in the regular tub and call it good. Of course, I bathed her so infrequently (still do) it wasn't a big hassle.

And we did "bathe" Henry the way you mentioned. It'll be so much easier when she's old enough to play in the tub while we shower!

Hahaha! These days, she kicks me out.

hellokitty
03-09-2013, 10:14 AM
The bathtub rings are stupid. I bought one for one of my older boys when they were at that stage and it did not work well at all. Then I couldn't sell it and it was pretty much brand new. That was a dumb purchase on my part. I also found out later that they give parents a false sense of safety.

queenmama
03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I've got a Boon Naked http://www.booninc.com/products/Naked/610

Love how it collapses flat then I use the attached hook to hang it on a robe hook on the wall.

This is what I wanted but DH didn't want to pay $60. Probably best I listened to him since the Boon tub is much smaller and we do have a very large baby (at 10 months she's easily the size of a 2-year-old). It will stink storing this beast but at least she'll fit in it for awhile. ;)

She took her first Primo bath last night. She cried at first but by the end she was splashing and laughing. I think we have a success!

Now we just need to invest in some fun bath toys...

Lara

tg_canada
03-09-2013, 08:10 PM
This is what I wanted but DH didn't want to pay $60.
There was your mistake...asking his opinion! LOL

Probably best I listened to him since the Boon tub is much smaller and we do have a very large baby (at 10 months she's easily the size of a 2-year-old). It will stink storing this beast but at least she'll fit in it for awhile. ;)

DD prefers to sit in the tub when her older sister is having a bath so my Boon doesn't get much use. The only reason I use it is if baby needs a quick bath because it's quick to run a bit of water into it. Hopefully you'll get more use out of your tub and won't just be shifting around to use the real tub. Ha!

We've got a ton of cute bath toys, and DD hates them all. Splashing wildly and soaking me and the rest of the bathroom is what she loves. :rolleyes:

Last baby and I skipped a tub for the first two and always wished I had one. Probably could have done without it again even though I like it.