PDA

View Full Version : What to buy DS for 3rd birthday?

twotimesblue
03-08-2013, 01:23 AM
DS turns 3 next week and I haven't bought him anything yet :bag

He definitely isn't short of toys but I want to make a bit of a fuss of him as he has been so great adjusting to his 3-month-old baby brother. He has a scooter, but not a bike... we live in a condo and DH says we have nowhere to store it (I think we could find somewhere). Is that the best 'big ticket' gift for this age and if so, do we go regular bike with stabilizers or balance bike? DS is the height of a 5.5 year old and pretty clumsy as a result, so I don't think he'd fare too well on the balance front, but what do I know??

Swirvin
03-08-2013, 04:31 AM
I would still go for the balance bike. Dd1 learned to ride with training wheels (we didn't know about balance bikes back then) and the transition to riding without the training wheels was so slow and painful. Ds learned on a balance bike and when we thought he was ready we tried out a regular two wheel bike and he was off and riding the very first try. DH was even shocked at how easy the transition seemed to be.

If space is an issue a balance bike is much lighter and easier to store. We have a Puky brand and I know they make larger sizes for taller kids. Dd2 is 3 and is using her brother's old balance bike.

If you want to go an entirely different route, our kids have always loved the Aquaplay water ways. We have one of the aquabox's and it folds up for storage. We have had it for about 4 years now and all three of my kids still play with it (10, 8, 3).

Mommy_Mea
03-08-2013, 06:43 AM
I would still go for the balance bike. Dd1 learned to ride with training wheels (we didn't know about balance bikes back then) and the transition to riding without the training wheels was so slow and painful. Ds learned on a balance bike and when we thought he was ready we tried out a regular two wheel bike and he was off and riding the very first try. DH was even shocked at how easy the transition seemed to be.

If space is an issue a balance bike is much lighter and easier to store.

:yeahthat:

ds1 got a balance bike for his third birthday, and he was off and running the first try (we did show him some YouTube videos first).

He got a pedal bike for Christmas, and that thing is so big and heavy compared to a balance bike! And that is without training wheels! Ds1 still prefers his balance bike, partially because I think I bought the pedal bike a little too big, but also because he had so much fun bombing around on his balance bike.

JBaxter
03-08-2013, 07:53 AM
skip the balance bike and go with a scooter. If he 's bigger go with the Maxi Kick.

citymama
03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
I think we're going to get DD2 a mini kick scooter. She already has s balance bike or we'd be getting her one of those instead.

Jen841
03-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Membership (museum or zoo)
Classes (soccer, swim, karate,...)
Easel
Something he can play 'his' music on (a cheap boom box for CDs was a HIT when my son was 3, he was in control of it and could do it!)
Big Wheel?
Wagon?

What about just planning a special day that he gets to pick EVERYTHING. Heck, you may have Mac & Cheese for breakfast but he will remember that.

lizzywednesday
03-08-2013, 01:22 PM
DS turns 3 next week and I haven't bought him anything yet :bag

Take the bag off your head. At least you have a week.

Mine will be 3 tomorrow and she has no birthday gift planned. (Of course, all she's asked for is a purple cake, so we'll be getting that.)

brittone2
03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
I just ordered DS2's 3rd bday gifts. We have a lot of the big stuff already (balance bike, etc.) so he's getting:

Playmobil ambulance (he loves to play PM with the older two kids)
play doh (a new love)
a toy mailbox I have had stashed since Christmas
a book from a series he likes
Richard Scarry Busytown game