PDA

View Full Version : Update from Germany and request for PPT

american_mama
03-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I have been off BBB ever since our arrival in Germany in early February, but as our life here takes shape, I am once again thinking of my online community. I thank you for the advice and encouragement you gave me right before our departure - and for the people who said European deoderant doesn't work for them, I am right there with you. We bought two different brands here and I honestly think they ENCOURAGED body odor in every member of our family. I finally bought the most expensive deodorant I could find (about the same cost as what we normally buy in the US, albeit for a smaller container) and that is working fine, so all is well now.

If anyone wants to follow our six months here, my blog is abroodabroad.com.

BBBers will be amused to learn a few things. First and most exciting, on a lark, I contacted House Hunters International in January with a request to be on the show. I heard nothing back, not that I really expected we would. But in February, we have gotten two emails from a casting person with more and more info. about being on the show! I'd say there is a definite chance it will happen. (And, for anyone wondering, turns out the show is more of a reenactment than I realized.) Second, I was at a secondhand store last week and saw a Stokke Kinderzeat for less than $10, but being carless here, I had no way to bring it home. But I found a way - I borrowed a colleague's bike trailer and hauled the chair home under my own power! Third, with a non-biking 4.5 year old and no car, child bike seats have become my new gear obsession. Being a true BBBer, I of course had to put in tons of research to find more and better options, and I found it... not one, but two Dutch bike seats designed for kids aged 5-9 years. After more research, I found there is a bike shop in Maastricht, about 45 minutes away in the Netherlands, that carries both and at least the person who I emailed with speaks excellent English. Guess where we are planning to go tomorrow....

And one final thing, much more somber. With TV prospects and cool European products and travel, I am loving my life right now. It's easy to get a bit jealous reading about this on FB and blogs (or am I alone in feeling that way?). But there is always another side of the story. Very soon after our arrival in Germany, I got the worst news of my life about something happening in my family. I cannot go into any detail, but it is very serious. Even wordy me cannot find the words to describe how surreal the situation is and how guilt-inducing to experience the best of my personal life at the same time as the worst in my family's life. So, while I may go on and on about my adventures here, I assure you, I would give it all up if it could magically un-do this situation. And I would dearly love any prayers and positive thoughts you can give, for strength, compassion, and the best possible outcome.

brittone2
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
I have been off BBB ever since our arrival in Germany in early February, but as our life here takes shape, I am once again thinking of my online community. I thank you for the advice and encouragement you gave me right before our departure - and for the people who said European deoderant doesn't work for them, I am right there with you. We bought two different brands here and I honestly think they ENCOURAGED body odor in every member of our family. I finally bought the most expensive deodorant I could find (about the same cost as what we normally buy in the US, albeit for a smaller container) and that is working fine, so all is well now.

If anyone wants to follow our six months here, my blog is abroodabroad.com.

BBBers will be amused to learn a few things. First, I was at a secondhand store last week and saw a Stokke Kinderzeat for less than $10, but being carless here, I had no way to bring it home. But I found a way - I borrowed a colleague's bike trailer and hauled the chair home under my own power! Second, with a non-biking 4.5 year old and no car, child bike seats have become my new gear obsession. Being a true BBBer, I of course had to put in tons of research to find more and better options, and I found it... not one, but two Dutch bike seats designed for kids aged 5-9 years. After more research, I found there is a bike shop in Maastricht, about 45 minutes away in the Netherlands, that carries both and at least the person who I emailed with speaks excellent English. Guess where we are planning to go tomorrow....

And one final thing, much more somber. It is easy to get a bit jealous reading about other people's lives on FB and blogs (surely I am not alone in feeling that way?). But there is always another side of the story. Very soon after our arrival in Germany, I got the worst news of my life about something happening in my family. I cannot go into any detail, but it is very serious. Even wordy me cannot find the words to describe how surreal the situation is and how guilt-inducing to experience the best of my personal life at the same time as the worst in my family's life. So, while I may go on and on about my adventures here, I assure you, I would give it all up if it could magically un-do this situation. And I would dearly love any prayers and positive thoughts you can give, for strength, compassion, and the best possible outcome.
Oh my!

It sounds like you are in for some wonderful adventures.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with something serious in your family. Positive thoughts are coming your way, along with wishes for strength as you navigate this. You are in our thoughts and we are here for you!

TwoBees
03-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Sending lots of P&PT, and glad things are working out living-wise (as in, living abroad). I look forward to reading about all of your adventures. :)

KpbS
03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Glad you have begun the settling in process and things are going relatively smoothly. Prayers sent your way for your family. :hug:

TwinFoxes
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM
P&PT for your family situation. But I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your adventure. :)

lmh2402
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
so happy to hear you are settling well! be sure to KUP posted re: HHI - i love that show...staged or not!

sending many p&pts for your family - i can imagine how hard it must be to be so far away during a very difficult time.

elbenn
03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Your adventures in Europe sound very exciting! Sending P&PT for your family.

sunshine873
03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Thank you for the update! I'm thrilled to hear that you are embracing your new life abroad and all that it offers. Yet, I understand (in some small way) being torn between the happiness for your immediate family and devastation for your extended family, especially when you are so far away. Lots of prayers for you all in the coming months.

maestramommy
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Life is so bittersweet:hug:

Hope everything with your move continues smoothly.

Globetrotter
03-08-2013, 11:25 AM
What an amazing adventure! At the same time, it must be hard to be away from your extended family at this time. :hug:

After a particularly harrowing year, I've come to the conclusion that life is like that but we must go on with our own lives as best we can. It's not easy, though!

cuca_
03-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Sounds like you are having a wonderful experience. I'm sorry you are experiencing a difficult family situation too. Sending P & PTs

liz
03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Sending P&PT for your family :hug:

So happy to hear that you are doing well in Germany!

Tinkerbell313
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Yes, regarding House Hunters you already need to have accepted contract or already have purchased the house in order to be on the show. Most times than not, the house that is usually empty (not lived in) is the one that the sellers "choose" although this is not always the case.

It sounds like you are adjusting to life across the pond. I am sorry to hear that at the same time you are dealing with something not so good.

infomama
03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm sending you lots of PT from the states. I peeked at your blog and your family is adorable. I hope things look up soon.

MamaMolly
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
What an amazing adventure! At the same time, it must be hard to be away from your extended family at this time. :hug:

After a particularly harrowing year, I've come to the conclusion that life is like that but we must go on with our own lives as best we can. It's not easy, though!

This was us in 2010-2011. Please enjoy what you can, and don't guilt yourself about it. It is ok to be ok.

MontrealMum
03-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Glad you're settling in well, and sending P&PT :hug:

jerigirl
03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Good luck with your overseas adventures! What a wonderful opportunity for your family! PPT for your extended family.

daisyd
03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Europe sounds like fun! P&PT for your family....

Momit
03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Glad things are going well in Germany but so sorry to hear about your family situation - P&PT coming.

You will enjoy Maastricht, we visited several times and it's lovely. So many wonderful places to visit. Have you been to the IKEA in Heerlen, NL yet? Or the Lindt factory in Aachen? Or the Gaia Park zoo in Kerkrade, NL (mostly more unusual European animals)? Also Henri-Chappelle US military cemetary in Belgium is worth seeing. It's in beautiful countryside close to one of our favorite abbey breweries called Val Dieu. I could go on... Happy travels.

Tondi G
03-08-2013, 03:54 PM
How exciting, it sounds like you are in for some wonderful adventures across the pond!

I'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with something serious in your family. P&PT are coming your way.

SASM
03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Sending many P&PT's to you and your family member. :( On a positive notive, have fun in the Netherlands! HH Intl is one of my absolute favorite shows...I do not care how staged it is...it is my opportunity to "travel" for 22 minutes! many hugs!

glbb35
03-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Wow! What an adventure already! I can't wait to read your blog and here all about your trials and tribulations. And the travel!!! Exciting and so great for your kids.

Good luck and enjoy! And maybe you can get a full sized refrigerator. I don't know what I would do without one!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

american_mama
03-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Glad things are going well in Germany but so sorry to hear about your family situation - P&PT coming.

You will enjoy Maastricht, we visited several times and it's lovely. So many wonderful places to visit. Have you been to the IKEA in Heerlen, NL yet? Or the Lindt factory in Aachen? Or the Gaia Park zoo in Kerkrade, NL (mostly more unusual European animals)? Also Henri-Chappelle US military cemetary in Belgium is worth seeing. It's in beautiful countryside close to one of our favorite abbey breweries called Val Dieu. I could go on... Happy travels.

Thank you for these ideas! I did not know about any of them. Is the IKEA special in any way or just another IKEA? All we still need is a shoe rack and I don't need to go to IKEA for that.