PDA

View Full Version : Maybe early but already planning WDW

OKKiddo
03-09-2013, 01:54 AM
We're headed to DW in June and will be staying at Shades of Green for 6 nights/7days. We're driving not flying (so I'll need to plan ahead with new movies, this is the only part I'm not looking forward to).

Going to DW are my husband and I, our 6yo DS1, 5yo DS2, and 2 yo DD. DS1 is slllllooooowww, DS2 usually needs some time to run out some extra energy but may/may not listen well and if one gets tired and asks for Daddy's shoulders my DH will do it and suffer later. DD1 obviously can't walk the whole time but my back won't be able to take wearing her the whole time either (and we're going in June so sweaty won't be fun).

On strollers:
I have a Bugaboo Bee+ and a Cameleon for strollers but I would not want to take the Cameleon because I am really not liking the two part fold at all. So, would you recommend taking my Bee+ or renting a single BJCM GT, or I could rent the BJCMD GT, or I could bite the bullet and buy a gently used/like new Valco Zee Two and then resell it when we get back.

Dining Plans:
Should I buy the kids a Dining Plan or just have some kid friendly foods delivered and haul those in for them to eat and then augment with Disney treats and our food? Which Disney Plan for them if we should do it, and which Disney Plan for adults?

Which Rides (Both DS's love robots and my DD is totally enamored with Mickey, Pooh, but not really with the Toy Story and Cars characters yet)? And how the heck do you plan the rides on which days and make mad dashes for Fast Passes etc? I remember at DisneyLand you could only get 1 FP in a 4 hour time period when we went last summer. I thought it would make it so much easier but it was just a PITB. Is DW the same with time limits/FP restrictions?

Should I get the WaterPark add on's for the tickets? It's a $30 difference in cost per ticket (paying for 4 tickets). So, $155 without and $180'ish with for a 4 day park hopper. I know it's a significant savings with the military discount but that is still a LOT of money for our family to spend and I plan to buy them ahead of time so that when we get there we're not worrying about only x amount of $$ left in the account after tickets.

I can't remember my other questions (but I have a lot!) because mommy brain has just kicked back in. I can use all of the help I can get--some of those super planners out there could seriously save me for this trip! The more planned out it gets (go here on these days and do xyz from this time to that time, etc) will seriously make this trip more sane for all of us. We don't do well with leaving it up to chance because the kids get cranky just walking around and hearing no that line's too long, etc.

BayGirl2
03-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Are you going this June? If so, then have you made ADRs already (reservations) for any table service meals you want? That should be the first step because you're already within a couple months. Good times/character meals are already booked for my trip in May. Just be aware that planning now for June is not early, a lot of people plan for WDW way in advance.

Check out EasyWDW.com for crowd levels and read the advice there to choose which parks on which days. He also has advice on order of rides when you enter the park. Touringplans.com is another source of info but its a small fee. The DISboards have alot of information but can be overwhelming. Comb through the theme park tips page for ride order advice.

A new FP can be given out either when the window opens for the one your holding OR 2 hours, whichever is sooner, so it would never be 4 hours. The most important thing is to start early in the morning and have a strategy, grab FP's for certain rides throughout the day. If you use Touringplans.com or RideMax to plan out a specific ride order it will give you a plan based on expected FP return time, so you can easily plan around them. WDW and DL are now both enforcing the end times (DL was not last year).

I'd go with a double stroller for sure. I'm prefer a SBS double like a BJCMD. We're renting at WDW, we brought our own to DL.

I'm sure others here have a lot more advice, just thought I'd give you a few places to start.

OKKiddo
03-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Are you going this June? If so, then have you made ADRs already (reservations) for any table service meals you want? That should be the first step because you're already within a couple months. Good times/character meals are already booked for my trip in May. Just be aware that planning now for June is not early, a lot of people plan for WDW way in advance.

Check out EasyWDW.com for crowd levels and read the advice there to choose which parks on which days. He also has advice on order of rides when you enter the park. Touringplans.com is another source of info but its a small fee. The DISboards have alot of information but can be overwhelming. Comb through the theme park tips page for ride order advice.

A new FP can be given out either when the window opens for the one your holding OR 2 hours, whichever is sooner, so it would never be 4 hours. The most important thing is to start early in the morning and have a strategy, grab FP's for certain rides throughout the day. If you use Touringplans.com or RideMax to plan out a specific ride order it will give you a plan based on expected FP return time, so you can easily plan around them. WDW and DL are now both enforcing the end times (DL was not last year).

I'd go with a double stroller for sure. I'm prefer a SBS double like a BJCMD. We're renting at WDW, we brought our own to DL.

I'm sure others here have a lot more advice, just thought I'd give you a few places to start.

NO!! I didn't even THINK of the Character Meals!! I definitely want to do at least one of those. Can I reserve it before we get a Dining Plan or do I need to purchase those first? And yes we're going this June (I meant that it might be a little early planning our events like rides and stressing over strollers).

And on the FP at DL, I just remember them telling me that for each person's ticket you could only get 1 FP issued every 4 hours. So we would have to carefully stagger who was going to get the FP for which ride and then ask for rider transfer stubs (or whatever they were called) so that we could trade off and ride again so that each parent could share in the experience. Sometimes we weren't able to get another FP at DL because of that stupid 4 hour thing. Especially when we only had the one day to do both parks because our ITR (ticketing place) on our military installation issued us fraudulent tickets and DL kindly gave us a free park hopper pass for our whole family for just one day (they could have turned us away). It was not the happiest place on earth on that day.

OKKiddo
03-09-2013, 02:31 AM
So would you rent the BJCMD GT (around $90 for the week with insurance) or do you think purchasing a like new Valco Baby Zee Two essentially for the larger/easier accessible basket for $320'ish would be a better idea?

OKKiddo
03-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Ok, I just reserved a late dinner at Chef Mickey's (9pm and later is all that was left there) and breakfast at 1900 Park Fare for character breakfast with Tigger and Pooh, etc. That hits the high notes for the characters that they all share a common interest with. :)

army_mom
03-09-2013, 12:36 PM
If I remember correctly you cannot book the Dining Plan if you are staying at SOG since it is technically an off site property. All your meals will have to be out of pocket. You do get extra magic hours and you can walk to the monorail stop at Poly pretty easily if you don't want to wait for SOG shuttles from parks. If you are looking to save some money I wouldn't bother booking the water parks since you can just as easily swim in the hotel pool each day and not have to take the bus to the water parks.

Also if you are wanting an earlier time for your reservations, keep checking as people often cancel them. Another trick I learned from here is to add an additional person in your party while booking and sometimes it opens up. For example, we are a family of three and couldn't get a ressie but I put in 4 and multiple times popped up!

For the ride waiting times we used the apps to check lines (pretty accurate) and went early in the day as it makes a big difference in lines. We took a FP for some rides and went to do rides that didn't have long waits (that's why the app is handy).

If you are wanting to get the dining plan, military do get pretty substantial savings at all the Disney hotels that may bring the prices near what you are paying at SOG anyway. I *think* the military discount even works at the new Art of Animation and it is 30% off if they have rooms for your dates. And even though you aren't buying your tickets through WDW you can add the DP IF you can get the military discount with the rooms.

Have a fun trip!

Cam&Clay
03-09-2013, 12:45 PM
If I remember correctly you cannot book the Dining Plan if you are staying at SOG since it is technically an off site property. All your meals will have to be out of pocket. You do get extra magic hours and you can walk to the monorail stop at Poly pretty easily if you don't want to wait for SOG shuttles from parks. If you are looking to save some money I wouldn't bother booking the water parks since you can just as easily swim in the hotel pool each day and not have to take the bus to the water parks.

Also if you are wanting an earlier time for your reservations, keep checking as people often cancel them. Another trick I learned from here is to add an additional person in your party while booking and sometimes it opens up. For example, we are a family of three and couldn't get a ressie but I put in 4 and multiple times popped up!

For the ride waiting times we used the apps to check lines (pretty accurate) and went early in the day as it makes a big difference in lines. We took a FP for some rides and went to do rides that didn't have long waits (that's why the app is handy).

If you are wanting to get the dining plan, military do get pretty substantial savings at all the Disney hotels that may bring the prices near what you are paying at SOG anyway. I *think* the military discount even works at the new Art of Animation and it is 30% off if they have rooms for your dates. And even though you aren't buying your tickets through WDW you can add the DP IF you can get the military discount with the rooms.

Have a fun trip!

This is correct. You cannot get the dining plan at Shades of Green.

If you are going this June, you are not planning early. Most people plan a year out and make reservations for important meals at the 6 month mark. We are military as well, but we choose to use the 40% military rate to state in an on-site hotel. That way we were able to get the dining plan as well.

We rented a stroller and it was wonderful! Great customer service from www.magicstrollers.com

A new FP can be issued at the two hour mark unless the window comes sooner than that. There are some FPs that are disconnected from the system so you can have them at the same time as other FPs. I cannot recommend enough doing more research at www.easywdw.com!

ray7694
03-09-2013, 12:56 PM
What is the app for ride wait times?

ett
03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
What is the app for ride wait times?

There are difference ones but The Disney Experience is the one that is actually from Disney. It worked pretty well for us.

ETA: It's actually called "My Disney Experience".

BayGirl2
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
The FP will tell you when the next one is available, it should never be more than 2 hours as we said above. You can also be more strategic about combing fast pass and child swap. Your kids over 2 will have a ticket that can get a fast pass but they probably won't ride some rides. That means you can get extra FPs on their ticket for the adults to swap with.

When doing Child Swap only the first person entering needs a FP. child Swap is really not a big deal, you just mention on the way in that you want to do it, parent one goes through the line, using FP if they have it. When they come out parent 2 bypasses the line.

I think a lot of frustration at Disney can be prevented just by over preparing in advance. I would read past threads here and the sites mentioned above.

As for the dining plan, be aware that everyone in the room has to be on the same plan. So if you were staying on site and eligible the kids would also be on it. We are not eligible either because we're on a conference rate, and I really don't think it's THAT big of a deal. Some people can save a little money on the dining plan but you get more control paying out of pocket, and it's not like it affects where you can eat or the quality of the food.

OKKiddo
03-10-2013, 03:12 AM
The FP will tell you when the next one is available, it should never be more than 2 hours as we said above. You can also be more strategic about combing fast pass and child swap. Your kids over 2 will have a ticket that can get a fast pass but they probably won't ride some rides. That means you can get extra FPs on their ticket for the adults to swap with.

When doing Child Swap only the first person entering needs a FP. child Swap is really not a big deal, you just mention on the way in that you want to do it, parent one goes through the line, using FP if they have it. When they come out parent 2 bypasses the line.

I think a lot of frustration at Disney can be prevented just by over preparing in advance. I would read past threads here and the sites mentioned above.

As for the dining plan, be aware that everyone in the room has to be on the same plan. So if you were staying on site and eligible the kids would also be on it. We are not eligible either because we're on a conference rate, and I really don't think it's THAT big of a deal. Some people can save a little money on the dining plan but you get more control paying out of pocket, and it's not like it affects where you can eat or the quality of the food.

Thanks! The dining plan is something I'm still unsure about. My kids are picky and when we bought them food at Disneyland they didn't even eat it--they drank all of their drinks and then didn't even touch the actual food, just the potato chips. I know it would be extra work each night when we're tired packing them a lunch or a bunch of snacks I know they'll eat but I'm not totally sold on a dining plan (and the confusing array of where we can eat, how many points, etc).

I have been stocking up on Disney gift cards at Target and it's nice that I can get a small discount using my Redcard and we can use that for our food purchases if we need to. I don't know, if we switch to an on resort hotel like Pop Century I lose on space and (not sure on the military discount but I've heard a rumor it's 30% right now) save $100 total for the week. Sigh. Maybe I should have gone through a travel agent, lol!

AnnieW625
03-10-2013, 03:22 AM
Honestly if I were you I would take advantage of the Shades of Green Resort. I think it is an awesome benefit for those who serve our country:thumbsup:

My DH is 38 and is not a terribly picky eater but he usually doesn't care for Disneyland food either, unless it is the Corn Dog cart on Main Street. I am sure there are a ton more options at WDW, but still there is something much easier IMHO in bringing in your own food. We always bring in Subway with us to DL. It is great to know that your kids are going to eat things that they like.

Also what is up with this Child Swap thing? A friend mentioned it in December when they were at DL. I had never heard of it before. I had been on a few rides as a single rider though and used short cuts, but jease the Child Swap would have saved DH and I some time on some longer wait rides like Space Mountain. I used to have an annual pass and I didn't know about this?:bag:

Have a great trip!

TwinFoxes
03-10-2013, 08:16 AM
There are difference ones but The Disney Experience is the one that is actually from Disney. It worked pretty well for us.

I think maybe this is for Verizon only? I could be wrong...there was one official app that only Verizon users could use. (I have AT&T).

We use the Undercover Tourist app. Very nice app. We also use the WDW Dining app. It's a great app showing what restaurants are nearby using GPS, it has menus, and you can store your ADR info.

No advice about strollers, we brought our own BJCMD.

Just an FYI re: DDP, you can't get a dining plan for only some members of your party, like adults only. I guess it is moot since you're at SoG.

Check the time printed on your FP, it will say when you can get a new one. It's not every four hours, it's less time than that. Also, at DL, you can return whenever, as long as its after the return time. At WDW, they enforce the return time.

Have fun!

ett
03-10-2013, 09:56 AM
I think maybe this is for Verizon only? I could be wrong...there was one official app that only Verizon users could use. (I have AT&T).

We have AT&T and was able to use it last month, so maybe they expanded to different carriers?

army_mom
03-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I would not switch hotels over a $100 and the dining plan. SOG will be nicer than pop for sure and its location trumps Pop. You don't have to take a lunch if you aren't on the DP. many people take snacks in and/or bring quick breakfast food for the room but that is up to You. You can buy whatever food your kids will eat without having to worry about it being on the DP. I felt the DP was overkill since it always included dessert and we would have never ordered it-my DD would rather have fruit and the majority of snacks she wanted werent in the DP. Unless you eat a lot of character meals it may not even be worth it cost wise. Happy planning and don't stress too much-Disney planning can do that!

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2013, 10:31 AM
We used Child Swap a few times in Disneyland a few weeks ago and it rocked. We went to Space Mountain and told the 1st ride attendant we saw that we wanted to do child swap. Because ds2 was tall enough to technically ride the ride, we all walked to the ride together then dh and ds2 went to the exit and ds1 and I rode the ride. When ds1 and I got off the ride, we met dh and ds2 at the exit. Our pass was better than a fast pass b/c it had no set return time. We could have [except ds1 didn't like Space Mt.] gone back anytime during the day and skipped most of the line to re-ride. And, it didn't prevent us from getting regular fast passes.

My generic Disney advice is to get to the parks early, have a list of 1-2 things/ person that you really want to do at each park, try and knock them out in the morning (the parks start to get busy around 11 so count that as your window), after that, just enjoy what you feel like doing. Don't stress about trying to do everything. :) I had the Mobile Magic app and had forgotten I had it till halfway through our day. Once I remembered it, it was pretty darned handy. We could see where the long and short lines were, fast pass return times...

BayGirl2
03-10-2013, 10:34 AM
My Disney Eperience is WDWs new app, it is now available for everyone. As they roll out FP+ it will likely use that app (FP+ is not announced yet so don't worry about it YET).

TwinFoxes-as of Feb DL is also enforcing FP return times. Just an FYI.

Child Swap is officially called Rider Swap. I'd you want to search for it. Here is one explanation of it. There's actually and advantage to having more tickets than riders and using Rider Swap http://wdwuntangled.com/fastpass-and-rider-switch/

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2013, 10:37 AM

/ (http://wdwuntangled.com/fastpass-and-rider-switch/)

Yeah, we ran to make it with 1 minute to spare to Indiana Jones. I would hope that they'd have cut us a minute or 2 of slack but I didn't want to chance it.

TwinFoxes
03-10-2013, 11:07 AM
My Disney Eperience is WDWs new app, it is now available for everyone. As they roll out FP+ it will likely use that app (FP+ is not announced yet so don't worry about it YET).

Child Swap is officially called Rider Swap. I'd you want to search for it. Here is one explanation of it. There's actually and advantage to having more tickets than riders and using Rider Swap http://wdwuntangled.com/fastpass-and-rider-switch/

Argh, that's frustrating re: DL's FP! I'm going in April. Oh well, I still can't wait! My first time back since moving coasts.

lalasmama
03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Argh, that's frustrating re: DL's FP! I'm going in April. Oh well, I still can't wait! My first time back since moving coasts.

We went at the end of last month, just days into FP enforcement at DL. It wasn't as bad as I expected. FP lines moved SOOO much quicker with people using them in the return window. Some FP seemed to run out sooner (Star Tours running out on a weekday?!), but, overall, it was no where as bad as we expected. We just made sure to plan around the posted return times.

BayGirl2
03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
We went at the end of last month, just days into FP enforcement at DL. It wasn't as bad as I expected. FP lines moved SOOO much quicker with people using them in the return window. Some FP seemed to run out sooner (Star Tours running out on a weekday?!), but, overall, it was no where as bad as we expected. We just made sure to plan around the posted return times.

That's good to hear. We had it made last year with 3 tickets but 2 adults so we could grab 3 FP's in the morning for different rides, then DH and I would child swap on them throughout the day. That was in the low season too. Planning WDW is more complicated for me since I'm not used to paying attention to the return times. Plus DS in nearing 40 inches so he'll want to ride too.

It sounds like FP+ is going to give the ability to request FP's in advance online. In a way that will make it easier to plan, however those not planning ahead and just showing up at the park will likely be at even more of a disadvantage. I'm watching closely to see if it will be rolled out before our trip, which is only about 2 months away now.

OP: What was the issue your DC's had with the food at DL? Was it the type of food, or the sitting down at a restaurant experience, or something else? There are more/different options at WDW so maybe people here can give you recommendations based on what they like. A lot of people have groceries delivered then bring snacks in to the park too, so that's a possibility. It sounds like you'd be better off bringing some food and identifying places that will work for you rather than worrying about the dining plan. It sounds like you have some reservations, but definitely if you want more TS you should make them now. Even within the last week I saw places like Plaza Inn fill up for lunches in May. So without ADRs you'll be pretty much forced to do counter service only, which may or may not be what works for your family.

lalasmama
03-10-2013, 05:27 PM
It sounds like FP+ is going to give the ability to request FP's in advance online. In a way that will make it easier to plan, however those not planning ahead and just showing up at the park will likely be at even more of a disadvantage. I'm watching closely to see if it will be rolled out before our trip, which is only about 2 months away now.

DL is our "home park", but we're heading to WDW in 2015. I'm excited to see how things are there, to know what may be in store for DL. Ordering FP online ahead of time could be fantastic--maybe easier to ride on the same ride 2861 times, as DD would choose ;)

BayGirl2
03-10-2013, 11:50 PM
DL is our "home park", but we're heading to WDW in 2015. I'm excited to see how things are there, to know what may be in store for DL. Ordering FP online ahead of time could be fantastic--maybe easier to ride on the same ride 2861 times, as DD would choose ;)

From the rumors, I don't think it will work like that. Its all speculation of course, but from those on the DIS who have been in the trials it sounds more like you select your 3-4 rides/meets/meals/events you want FP for and it gives you several options w/times for each. Then you plan your day around those FP times. I guess its better than having a runner, and it will work for things like Be Our Guest (the new FL restaurant that's hard to get into) or parade priority seating. But the FP+Child Swap loophole will go away since each person will have their FP's on their own bracelet. Again, all speculation, but it could be cool.
DL is my home park too, but I'm deep into the WDW research right now since it seems so much more complicated to master.

OKKiddo
03-11-2013, 09:50 PM
OP: What was the issue your DC's had with the food at DL? Was it the type of food, or the sitting down at a restaurant experience, or something else? There are more/different options at WDW so maybe people here can give you recommendations based on what they like. A lot of people have groceries delivered then bring snacks in to the park too, so that's a possibility. It sounds like you'd be better off bringing some food and identifying places that will work for you rather than worrying about the dining plan. It sounds like you have some reservations, but definitely if you want more TS you should make them now. Even within the last week I saw places like Plaza Inn fill up for lunches in May. So without ADRs you'll be pretty much forced to do counter service only, which may or may not be what works for your family.

Two of my children have mild and moderate autism. My oldest has texture aversions and my youngest has a hard time being still and not bouncing off the walls (especially in overwhelming and busy social places). My daughter also can't handle the harder to chew chicken tender type things that have too much breading, etc. So, sometimes it can be difficult feeding them. At DisneyLand we bought expensive hotdogs with a bag of chips and a drink. They only ate the chips and slurped the drink because the hotdogs were big almost sausage-y. We're doing better on textures and what veggies I can get them to eat this year but I worry about a Dining Plan that is too rigid (too many reservations) or rushed, or worse drawn out waiting for a long line/slow serving staff.

We've actually decided to go ahead and postpone our DW trip until August, September, or October so that the high volume of people can go down as well as the heat index. I plan to call the different lodging types to see which is most cost effective and for which date. We're very flexible in when we go because we homeschool and my husband isn't locked into block leave dates with the unit he's assigned to. Thank goodness!

So, I now have a little more planning time and fully intend to study, plan, and book like a mad woman immediately. :)

army_mom
03-11-2013, 10:19 PM
October is a great time to go! temperatures are still very warm (but not excessive) and crowds are waaaaaay down. We have been in mid to late October twice. The last week in October 2 years ago so sooo nice...no crowds at all. Rode the teacups 3 times without even exiting them. Plus the end of October is a cheaper time to go as well.

But, keep in mind the military discount currently ends 30 September and they will probably not announce its renewal until August. You can book your rooms now and then immediately call and add the military discount when it's released if you want to stay on property. If you book room only you can cancel up to 5 days prior to your trip with no penalty.

Happy Planning!

BayGirl2
03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Got it, thanks for the explanation OP. For the food, there are menus posted on the DIS so you could start to identify what places may have better food choices for you. http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm Sounds like you tend toward counter service, but if you want to avoid long lines maybe TS at cheaper places like the Plaza, or buffets? If I were you I'd have a plan for meals your kids will like to alleviate the stress. The My Disney Experience app also provides menu info and could help while you're in the park. FWIW my kids hate chicken nuggets too, they'd rather have adult food or mac n cheese.

Sounds like you'll have more time to plan. You can look at prices for all the different resorts on the WDW site to get a feel for pricing. Something like a Family Suite at Art of Animation could work well for your size family and has a food court so there are options. (Haven't been there but if I were not locked in for a conference I'd love to check it out).

Also since you mentioned one of your DC's doesn't do well in crowded situations, if waiting in line is an issue for your family you could look into a Guest Access Card (GAC), those are an option for some people with autism or issues waiting in crowded places. It won't bypass the waiting but I believe it gives you an alternate waiting place away from others. Not sure if that would help you or not but wanted to throw it out there.

TwinFoxes
03-12-2013, 03:45 PM
OP, disboards has a special needs board. I'm sure you can get good pointers there. From what I understand, WDW is very accommodating, I'm sure they can make your DCs' visit a good experience. October is a great time to go. The Epcot food and wine fest will be going on, which I really enjoy.

OKKiddo
03-19-2013, 09:07 PM
October is a great time to go! temperatures are still very warm (but not excessive) and crowds are waaaaaay down. We have been in mid to late October twice. The last week in October 2 years ago so sooo nice...no crowds at all. Rode the teacups 3 times without even exiting them. Plus the end of October is a cheaper time to go as well.

But, keep in mind the military discount currently ends 30 September and they will probably not announce its renewal until August. You can book your rooms now and then immediately call and add the military discount when it's released if you want to stay on property. If you book room only you can cancel up to 5 days prior to your trip with no penalty.

Happy Planning!

I called and tried to book Pop Movies Toys Story for anytime in September with the military discount and the booking agent said they didn't have any rooms available with that discount (I guess he meant that the rooms they reserve at the military discount rate were already full with military families?). :( So, I had to go with the 18-22 of Aug. Which will still be horribly hot/humid but I'm told the lines will be somewhat better than June. I hope. I can't imagine doing Disney during the holidays (Thanksgiving through January) because of family demanding our time, and with September already booked, and October looking like it will be just as busy as August, I don't think we'll have a better time or opportunity than just going ahead and going in August.

I was able to get our room and lodging for $1600 total---the room itself was not the big expense, it was the Dining Plus plan for 2 adults and 2 children. I went ahead and got it though because we do want to do a few Character Dinings and the cost of those without the Dining Plan was going to be pretty expensive for our family (all depends on which character dining but anywhere from $100 per meal and up). Still, we also have to get tickets for all of us so this will be one of the more expensive vacations we've taken.

OKKiddo
03-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Oh, and am I thinking about this all wrong on the Character Dining's: I plan to do mostly breakfast dinings because I worry that if we're waiting in line for something at lunch a fast service meal will work better and if we're not waiting in line for a ride then they might be tired or wanting a nap and a Character Dining during that might not make the most of our plan. Same thing for dinnertime Character Dining. Tired from a long day in the park and too fussy to sit and enjoy. ??? I would love to say that we will wake up early and be on the go by 8-9 every morning so that we can go crazy for a few hours and then have a nice lunch, come back to the hotel and swim away and have a nice long nap and be ready for a later (and cooler) Disney night, but that's not realistic. I know that something will come up and we won't get out of the room before 9-10 on several mornings. :(

jjordan
03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
How old are your kids? (ETA: went back to the OP and saw that your kids are 6, 5, and 2. Definitely "head back to the room after lunch" ages! The 6 and 5 might nap or might just need some down time/pool time. The 2 year old will likely need a sleeping nap even if he/she no longer naps regularly at home.) If your avatar pic is relatively recent, then I think you'll be wanting to go back to the hotel midday for a rest/swim. So I'd definitely avoid lunchtime sit-down meals. We found it best to have lunch on the early side and head back to the hotel as the crowds were increasing (and in August, as the day is heating up). If you can have a character breakfast that still allows you to get to a park close to opening, then go for it. Otherwise it might better to have the big meal at dinnertime when everyone is ready to sit down for a while in air conditioning.

I'm not sure why you're convinced that it is unrealistic to get going early...? Kids will be excited, and if you're all in one hotel room, then once one is up, they're all up. Do you expect that your dh will be hanging back? Or do your kids sleep in? When we went in January (kids 6.5, 4.5, and 1.5), we had no problem being out of the room by 7:30.

BayGirl2
03-19-2013, 11:15 PM
For character breakfasts we like to do either of the following:
1. Get the earliest reservation, which is usually an hour before park opening, this gets you in before rope drop. Or
2. Schedule close to the latest reservation, not the last but 30-45 minutes before close, like 10:45. We have something quick in the room before going to the park, get there by rope drop and do a bunch of rides, then have a big late breakfast/brunch. After that the kids are almost ready for a nap.

The first hour after rope drop is the most valuable of my vacation, IMO, so Ill do whatever it takes to make there. Our kids need little motivation to get up and out at Disney.

On the room is it possible the CM meant there were no rooms available at the military rate because that rate has not yet been extended to Sept? From the PP's comment it sounds like the rate will be extended later, in which case no one would be able to book yet. If you have the flexibility to go in Sept that would be preferable. Can you check with other military families on the DIS to see if people expect Disney to extend the military discount and what the best way to book is.

kaharris83
03-19-2013, 11:44 PM
We really love Shades of Green. The rooms are a great size and very nice and clean. I highly recommend staying there. As a PP mentioned the location is great toon Thet have specials advertised often on their Facebook page. We paid $300 for 7 nights the last time we went.

kaharris83
03-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Shades of Green just posted some great specials for the rest of the year on their Facebook page. Some include breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids.