PDA

View Full Version : Back to work - pumping & sleep questions help!

daisyd
03-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I get back to work in a week. DS2 will be 3 months old. I currently exclusively pump 8-9 times/day (3-4 oz/session) and make between 25-30 oz (approximately as much as DS needs) after initial latch and consequent supply issues. I'm still on fenugreek and I eat oatmeal daily.

DS eats 9 times in 24 hours about 3-5 oz each time with consistent night time feeds at 1,3 and 5 am. I pump at 1 am and then again at 6 am. I doubt I can do this when I get back to work (8 am- 6 pm). I'm kind of stressed about being able to pump enough and getting some sleep. I've a 1 hour commute each way and I'm worried about sleep deprived driving. With my current work schedule I can only pump 2 times a day and may be 3 times at home.

Please tell me it's possible to do this. If it's not, please prepare me. I've been reading the other thread about being ok with not BF, and its helped some. My colleagues have said they've needed to supplement with formula due to work schedule issues and trying to get sleep.

Sorry to ramble.

Please tell me about your nursing/pumping schedule when you went back to work when Dc was 3 months.

Specifically how many times did you pump/nurse at night?

Should I do a trial run of work schedule style pumping next week?

Anything that helped with you and/ DC sleeping?

(DH has offered to help with night feeds, isnt he sweet?!)

Thanks!!!

pinay
03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
DD2 was 4 months old when I went back to work in January. I have a 40 minute commute to work and can only manage to pump twice a day during work hours. I typically manage to get 3-4 oz per pumping session, so it was only a matter of time before my freezer stash ran out and I would have to come up with plan B. We managed to get to almost 6 months of exclusively doing breastmilk and are now supplementing maybe one formula feed per work day. I nurse twice a night virtually in my sleep, so that's the only way I can manage to string together enough sleep to get me through most days.

Do you have any type of frozen supply at all? That was essential for me in terms of taking some of the stress out of the equation. For work, do you have a hands-free pumping bra? Do you have a battery pack so you can pump in the car while commuting? Those would be things I would strongly suggest if you don't already have them.

For me, I was really ok with supplementing once we got to that point. DD2 is a happy, healthy baby and she's mostly getting breastmilk so I'm satisfied with that. She's also started solids and has taken to it like a champ, so that helps too. I still don't get enough sleep, but a cup of coffee in the morning helps me get through the day, along with being super busy at work and trying to fit in healthy snacks during the day.

If DH can do a nighttime feed so you can get a decent block of sleep, definitely make it happen! I know I feel much more worn down on those nights when I know DD2 has nursed a bunch- 3-4 hours of consistent sleep is better for me than 5 broken up hours if that makes sense.

Last thing, just wanted to give you major kudos for exclusively pumping. My SIL is doing the same and I know it's been tough for her to do. I have a love/hate relationship with my pump so I can only imagine that the annoyances of pumping are multiplied in your situation. Do your best and know that it's enough for you and your DS.

emily
03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
I went back to work at 3 mos with DS1 and DD. I pumped exclusively with DD. I pumped 5-6x/day once I went back to work with DD. Once before work, twice at work, and twice at night. I could not have pumped anymore than that. Fortunately, it was enough to keep up with the feedings and had a decent freezer stash from maternity leave that I didnt have to supplement right away.
I would not pump in the middle of the night. It's just too much physically. Sleep is important. I used to go to bed earlier around 9 and DH would do a dream feed somewhere between 11-12 before he went to bed. That way, even if the baby got up in the middle of the night, I was still able to get a 5-6 hour block of sleep.

daisyd
03-09-2013, 06:17 PM
DD2 was 4 months old when I went back to work in January. I have a 40 minute commute to work and can only manage to pump twice a day during work hours. I typically manage to get 3-4 oz per pumping session, so it was only a matter of time before my freezer stash ran out and I would have to come up with plan B. We managed to get to almost 6 months of exclusively doing breastmilk and are now supplementing maybe one formula feed per work day. I nurse twice a night virtually in my sleep, so that's the only way I can manage to string together enough sleep to get me through most days.

Do you have any type of frozen supply at all? That was essential for me in terms of taking some of the stress out of the equation. For work, do you have a hands-free pumping bra? Do you have a battery pack so you can pump in the car while commuting? Those would be things I would strongly suggest if you don't already have them.

For me, I was really ok with supplementing once we got to that point. DD2 is a happy, healthy baby and she's mostly getting breastmilk so I'm satisfied with that. She's also started solids and has taken to it like a champ, so that helps too. I still don't get enough sleep, but a cup of coffee in the morning helps me get through the day, along with being super busy at work and trying to fit in healthy snacks during the day.

If DH can do a nighttime feed so you can get a decent block of sleep, definitely make it happen! I know I feel much more worn down on those nights when I know DD2 has nursed a bunch- 3-4 hours of consistent sleep is better for me than 5 broken up hours if that makes sense.

Last thing, just wanted to give you major kudos for exclusively pumping. My SIL is doing the same and I know it's been tough for her to do. I have a love/hate relationship with my pump so I can only imagine that the annoyances of pumping are multiplied in your situation. Do your best and know that it's enough for you and your DS.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am building up a freezer stash but its been tough as DS eats pretty much all I make. I do have a HF bra and thats been awesome. I plan on getting a battery pack, now if I can even get close to the 6 month mark it would be great. Thanks so much for the encouragement it seems more doable now.

daisyd
03-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Emily, thanks for sharing your pumping schedule. I feel I can make this work after all, as long as I don;t beat myself up about supplementing.
Your suggestion about DH doing the dream feed is especially helpful. I wasnt planning on taking him up on his offer. But this way, I'll get some sleep and so will he.

LizLemon
03-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am building up a freezer stash but its been tough as DS eats pretty much all I make. I do have a HF bra and thats been awesome. I plan on getting a battery pack, now if I can even get close to the 6 month mark it would be great. Thanks so much for the encouragement it seems more doable now.

Not sure what kind of pump you have, but I bought a car adapter for my Pump in Style for the days when I had a 45 minute commute combined with nowhere to pump in the building (i.e. needed to pump in my car). The car adapter worked a lot better than the battery pack, which didn't have as much power.

daisyd
03-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the rec for an adapter vs battery pack. I hadnt considered that.

LizLemon
03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
No problem! If you're concerned about about pumping output now and going to a decreased number of pumping sessions, it's definitely something to consider. You definitely want the time you have to be as productive and as unstressful as possible. I found the battery pack to be frustrating because it would take longer and it didn't seem to work as well. I have had friends with similar experiences, too.

lizzywednesday
03-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Hands-free bra & pump in the car using the car adapter.

Practice a few times first. I gave Liziz my tips for pumping in the car when she asked about how to fit her pump schedule in with her commute, but I'll re-type them here:

(1) The hands-free pumping bra is a LIFESAVER. Put the bra on, adjust your pump horns & bottles, buckle your seatbelt & plug in before you start driving. If you feel exposed, use a nursing cover over the whole business 'til you feel comfortable.

(2) Buckle the pump into the passenger seat. I have the backpack PISA, so maybe this was easier for me, but I always buckled the pump into the passenger seat before driving anywhere.

(3) Get the car adapter. I never bothered with the battery pack, which I also had, because I didn't want to have to carry batteries around with all of my other pumping stuff.

Also, I've pumped while driving or while a vehicle was moving and had no problems. (If I hadn't, I'd have had a time of it participating in a 2-day charity event!)

Good luck.

daisyd
03-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks Liz for suggesting a trial run and for suggesting buckling up the pump - (didnt cross my mind).

daisyd
03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
I saw some useful info on ivillage boards (someone had recommended this in response to another question I'd posted - thanks! its so helpful!) and I wanted to share for other mamas with similar questions

http://www.ivillage.com/forums/pregnancy-parenting/babies/exclusively-pumping

BabyBearsMom
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
When I went back to work, with both girls, I work up, nursed before we left the house. Then I pumped at 9, 12 and 3 while I was at work. I nursed as soon as I got home and again before bed. Both girls were only waking up once or twice at night at that point, so I nursed them then. I did supplement with formula (I have supply issues because I BFAR). It is hard, but you will work it out.

daisyd
03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks for sharing your schedule BBM. Looks like I'll be following a similar schedule.