PDA

View Full Version : Need help from someone crafty!

MSWR0319
03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
I want to do a border and 1/3 the way up on DS's wall in his room with waves and fish. I know what I want, but can't figure out how to do it. I found this decal on Etsy http://www.etsy.com/listing/124741851/initial-whale-and-fish-name-vinyl-kids?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=whale+name+wall+decal&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all which is perfect. I need a ton more of the waves and fish to go around the room minus the whale and initial. I did contact the seller, but it says she doesn't do customer orders so I'm not too optimistic. Does anyone have any idea where I can find a stencil like this or maybe make my own stencil??? or even maybe custom wall decals?

ahisma
03-09-2013, 09:41 PM
We made a cardboard wave template and painted waves all around DSs' bedroom.

Here's a pic: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/ahisma/100_6654.jpg

AngelaS
03-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Cool! It looks great!

ellies mom
03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
I'd make a stencil of the waves and goldfish. It would be really easy to do because those are not complicated shapes. The hardest part will be deciding how you want to do the eye of the goldfish.

So what I would do is take the water and goldfish decal to a hardware store and have them match the paint. Probably a quart of each would be plenty. Then I would take stencil material, lay it over a wave decal, trace it and then carefully cut it out with an exacto-knife. Then repeat for the goldfish. You can use stencil adhesive to temporarily adhere the stencil in place and then just paint. I'd practice first because there is a bit of a technique involved. I haven't done this because I didn't use regular paint when I did my stenciling a couple of houses ago but it should help with seepage under the stencil. If you are painting the wall first or you still have leftover paint, I'd try putting up the stencil, painting over the edge with the wall color, letting it dry and then painting the water or fish color. The theory is that the wall color paint will seep under the stencil and fill up the gaps so that the stencil color will keep a sharp line. Definitely experiment first. But also definitely give it a try because it is very doable.

MSWR0319
03-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I'd make a stencil of the waves and goldfish. It would be really easy to do because those are not complicated shapes. The hardest part will be deciding how you want to do the eye of the goldfish.

So what I would do is take the water and goldfish decal to a hardware store and have them match the paint. Probably a quart of each would be plenty. Then I would take stencil material, lay it over a wave decal, trace it and then carefully cut it out with an exacto-knife. Then repeat for the goldfish. You can use stencil adhesive to temporarily adhere the stencil in place and then just paint. I'd practice first because there is a bit of a technique involved. I haven't done this because I didn't use regular paint when I did my stenciling a couple of houses ago but it should help with seepage under the stencil. If you are painting the wall first or you still have leftover paint, I'd try putting up the stencil, painting over the edge with the wall color, letting it dry and then painting the water or fish color. The theory is that the wall color paint will seep under the stencil and fill up the gaps so that the stencil color will keep a sharp line. Definitely experiment first. But also definitely give it a try because it is very doable.

Thanks! Where do you find stencil material? I was at Joanns today and couldn't find anything I thought was useful to make a stencil. I did find these little wooden goldfish that I think would look super cute and give it a bit of a 3D effect. I think I might give this a try if I can get the stencil right.

MSWR0319
03-10-2013, 06:26 PM
We made a cardboard wave template and painted waves all around DSs' bedroom.

Here's a pic: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/ahisma/100_6654.jpg

This is awesome!! I'm pretty sure I'm not that crafty :)

ellies mom
03-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks! Where do you find stencil material? I was at Joanns today and couldn't find anything I thought was useful to make a stencil. I did find these little wooden goldfish that I think would look super cute and give it a bit of a 3D effect. I think I might give this a try if I can get the stencil right.

I would look in the section with the stencils and stencil paint. Michaels should have it too. If not, Joann carries some on-line (http://www.joann.com/search/_stencil%20blank/crafts).

I think the wooden goldfish would be a lot of fun.

crl
03-10-2013, 06:53 PM
So I am lazy. If I couldn't get the orginal Etsy shop to do what I wanted custom, I would contact some others until I found one who would rather than go to the trouble of making and using a stencil. Probably more expensive though as decals can add up if they are big. . . .

Catherine

MSWR0319
03-10-2013, 07:00 PM
So I am lazy. If I couldn't get the orginal Etsy shop to do what I wanted custom, I would contact some others until I found one who would rather than go to the trouble of making and using a stencil. Probably more expensive though as decals can add up if they are big. . . .

Catherine

I'm lazy too!! That's why I really wanted them to custom make them for me. His room isn't too horribly big. It'd save me a big headache. Good idea about contacting others, I'll see if I can find some that make similar decals.