PDA

View Full Version : Daylight savings time

JElaineB
03-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Anyone else having a rough time today? I thought we were over daylight savings time causing issues (DS is 10), but for some reason he couldn't get to sleep last night, so it was compounded by the time change. DH stayed up with him until they went to bed around 3 am, and I got up with DS when he woke up, thankfully not until 8 am daylight time. Everyone here is grumpy today, but espectially my DH, I wish he would just go take a nap!

ellies mom
03-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Well, I feel badly for my husband because he had to get up at 5:30am for work. I didn't get home from work until after 10pm so he stayed up with me until midnight-ish

The girls and I are fine. They slept until almost 9:45am (new time) so I got a decent amount of sleep. They have never had a problem with the time changes. We are lucky that way.

sarahsthreads
03-10-2013, 03:08 PM
My sleepy morning started out just that much better because a friend posted this on Facebook:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2913&stc=1&d=1362942386
(Original(?) image from here (http://imgur.com/gallery/fzDqh). The comments are funny!)

"And remember, this is for posterity, so...be honest."

Sarah :)

Mommy_Mea
03-10-2013, 03:08 PM
We went to a friend's birthday party last night, so the boys got to bed about an hour and a half later than normal. They slept in a bit, so we are going the wrong way for Spring daylight savings time! We tried to adjust a little at naptime, but tonight should be interesting. They were a huge disaster this morning...

elliput
03-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I got the Spring ahead thing confused and kept the kids up later last night. :duh:

stinkyfeet
03-10-2013, 04:16 PM
i got the spring ahead thing confused and kept the kids up later last night. :duh:

:rotflmao:

wendibird22
03-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Either kid napped. DD1 doesn't take one very often but she NEEDED one today and DD2 never could fall asleep. I'm sure neither was tired enough at 11am(old time) to fall asleep. Thankfully that should work to our advantage for bed time and my kids are up at dawn daily so if they sleep late tomorrow DH and I will be grateful.

ellies mom
03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
My sleepy morning started out just that much better because a friend posted this on Facebook:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2913&stc=1&d=1362942386
(Original(?) image from here (http://imgur.com/gallery/fzDqh). The comments are funny!)

That came across my FB feed this morning. It makes me giggle every time I see it.

glbb35
03-10-2013, 06:48 PM
es, I am really bothered by it today. Could it have been that DH and I were up till what turned to be 3 am! And it is now 6:45 pm and it feels like 4:00. I have asked DH to help get the kids in baths and he is looking at me like I am a moron! It is almost 7 and it is bath time. I have a feeling it is going to be a really long night and a battle to get the kids to go to sleep while it is still light outside!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

lalasmama
03-10-2013, 07:14 PM
We have a friend's kids today--ages 3 and 5. I picked them yo from Sunday School, knowing they had been challenging when I dropped them off. I looked at the class leader, and said, "how'd it go?"

She laughed, said it was great, and then said, "yeah, I'm completely lying. It was rough. But we all had an hour less sleep!"

And it's been a doozy!

ilfaith
03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
We ended up having dinner about an hour later than usual because we were outside (in the bright sun) and I didn't realize how late it had gotten. Suddenly it was a quarter to seven and I realized I hadn't thought about cooking. I am sure it will be a challenge to get the boys to bed when it isn't quite dark yet...even though they did get up at 7:30 for Hebrew school.

wendibird22
03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
DD1 has spent the last 15 min crying from her bed, and now the hallway, that she's all alone. I'M ALL ALONE! is the wails from upstairs. Yup going to be a loooooong night.

georgiegirl
03-10-2013, 08:00 PM
No! I love spring forward! My kids are early risers, so now they will sleep in a bit. It's fall back that kills me since DS will wake up between 4:30-5:00 for a month straight. Since no one naps in my house and the kids got to bed an hour late last night, it should be easy to convince them to fall asleep an hour "earlier."

twowhat?
03-10-2013, 10:02 PM
My kids are old enough that the loss of an hour is OK. But the thing that's going to kill me now is that they can't go to bed "on time" because it's still light outside!!! Which means I struggle to get them to go to sleep and then they are impossible to wake up in the mornings to get to school and are so grumpy, which makes it hard on me and then everyone just has a bad morning. Ugh. I would rather it get dark so they can go to sleep and get up on time (without grumpiness) the next morning.

I guess I should start thinking of buying something with black-out panels for their room:)

I really wish that we didn't have time changes. Just pick one, and stick to it!

KpbS
03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Hate, hate, hate it! Quit changing the time already!!!

elektra
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
I really wish that we didn't have time changes. Just pick one, and stick to it!

Sing it!
Why do we not just stay on daylight savings time the entire time!?
I do love that it will be lighter later, and that Summer is coming though. But why not just keep it like this?

sarahsthreads
03-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Sing it!
Why do we not just stay on daylight savings time the entire time!?
I do love that it will be lighter later, and that Summer is coming though. But why not just keep it like this?

Agreed! I mean, it's dark in the winter regardless of what hour the sun comes up or goes down. Let's keep it this way year round and enjoy all that late day light!

Giantbear
03-10-2013, 10:49 PM

Sarah :)love it!!! Just took me 1.15 hours to get dd to sleep. not a fan of this at all.

Tea4two
03-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Struggling here. Took 1.5 hours for DS to fall asleep. Now DD is up extra early for her first night feeding. Grrrrr

123LuckyMom
03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Aaaaargh! Daylight savings kicks my @$$ both falling back AND springing forward! I am not a fan.

KLD313
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
I woke very early and now I'm tired. DS slept until 10:00 and DD until 11:45!! I guess she won't be taking a nap today which sucks for me because I want to take one.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
had a rough time getting up this morning, but other than that, i like the time change, because it means i will be getting home from work when it's still light outside (then kids can play outside while i make dinner, etc). i really hated only getting to be with the kids when it was dark out! walking to the car in the dark was depressing too.

and we actually had no issues getting kids to bed on time. we had family/cousins staying over, so they got plenty of play to tire themselves out :) also, i have blackout curtains in DD's room, so light outside is never an issue.

maestramommy
03-11-2013, 06:33 PM
I felt like I was seriously dragging today. Until around noon when I swallowed a couple of expresso filled chocolates. Boy that hit the spot:tongue5:

The kids seemed pretty much as usual. DD1 looked very tired while doing her homework, but she always looks like that on Mondays after school.

daniele_ut
03-11-2013, 07:17 PM
We didn't even notice it on Sunday because we didn't have anywhere to be until 1pm. I didn't reset the kids' clocks until after they got out of bed.

This morning, though, *I* was dragging. My big kids are crazy early risers so they actually slept until a reasonable hour this morning. The baby went down a little late last night and woke up a little late.

twowhat?
03-11-2013, 08:12 PM
My girls were a MESS this morning, meaning that they took long naps at school, which means they will have even more trouble falling asleep tonight, which means they will be a mess tomorrow morning - thus starting the vicious cycle all over again. Ugh. I really wish we would just pick a time and stay on it. All this switching back and forth is so dumb. And it always seems that by the time we get into a groove with the new time, it changes again. But I know I'm preaching to the choir:)

alexsmommy
03-11-2013, 09:45 PM
My awesome nanny somehow managed to keep DS3 awake in spite of a car ride. Love her. DS1 and DS2 are tired from not enough sleep last night so they went to bed no problem. DS3 heads up soon - if we put him down too early he'll be up at 5a.
I have to say, I'm really, really tired, but when I left work at 7p it was still light out inspite of being overcast. Yippee! It just really makes a difference in my mood when I leave work and there's still light in the sky. I'll take the one day of pain.