PDA

View Full Version : Google is funny!

anamika
03-10-2013, 09:44 PM
2 things I found today:

In Google Maps try searching for walking directions from the Shire to Mordor and look at what comes up in the box where it says "Walking directions are in beta" :hysterical:
Also:
Type where is Chuck Norris? and click on the first link :ROTFLMAO:

I heard about "do a barrel roll" from here so think most people know about that.
Please share any others you have found.

tmahanes
03-10-2013, 10:21 PM
I liked those!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

lalasmama
03-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I like the kayaking on my google maps trips!

The Chuck Norris one always makes me laugh.

Avispa
03-11-2013, 12:46 AM
googling "askew" is also funny

citymama
03-11-2013, 03:36 AM
2 things I found today:

In Google Maps try searching for walking directions from the Shire to Mordor and look at what comes up in the box where it says "Walking directions are in beta" :hysterical:
Also:
Type where is Chuck Norris? and click on the first link :ROTFLMAO:

I heard about "do a barrel roll" from here so think most people know about that.
Please share any others you have found.

OK, Shire to Mordor isn't turning up anything for me on Google Maps except a suggestion to enter Shire Way, Lexington, MA! What am I missing?

And what is "do a barrel roll?"

I am enjoying today's google doodle tribute to Douglas Adams. :)

maestramommy
03-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Hee hee!

So apparently Shire is near Philly and Mordor is near Boston?

The chuck norris one was pretty funny!

KHF
03-11-2013, 07:58 AM
OK, Shire to Mordor isn't turning up anything for me on Google Maps except a suggestion to enter Shire Way, Lexington, MA! What am I missing?

Type in The Shire instead of just Shire.

anamika
03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes, yes, please try it again with The Shire and do it on the desktop or non-mobile device. It doesn't work when you have Google Maps app on. It's worth it ;)

Thanks for the askew one - pretty funny.

For barrel roll just type "do a barrel roll" in Google hit enter and watch.

citymama
03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Type in The Shire instead of just Shire.

Yes, yes, please try it again with The Shire and do it on the desktop or non-mobile device. It doesn't work when you have Google Maps app on. It's worth it ;)

Thanks for the askew one - pretty funny.

For barrel roll just type "do a barrel roll" in Google hit enter and watch.

The Shire to Mordor doesn't do anything either - it looks for actual places with these names (the shire apartments in OR to Death Valley, CA). I've been using my laptop.

The barrel roll is funny, as also askew! Apparently if you search for "ascii art" the Google logo gets a makeover, but it didn't work for me.

chottumommy
03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Link for shire to mordor

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=walking+directions+from+the+shire+to+mordor&ie=UTF-8&ei=7Cc-UYumBMTuyAHC64GoCQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

sariana
03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Link for shire to mordor

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=walking+directions+from+the+shire+to+mordor&ie=UTF-8&ei=7Cc-UYumBMTuyAHC64GoCQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

This link doesn't work for me. It asks me "Did you mean the Fairfield Inn" and marks some place in England and some place in CA. When I typed in "The Shire" and "Mordor" myself, it gave me directions from an apartment complex to a tatoo parlor in OR or WA!

What is the funny thing supposed to be? Can someone please share for those of us who can't get it to work?

sariana
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Typing "do a barrel roll" and "askew" both gave me regular old search results. In both cases I got results that REFERRED to some sort of Google Easter Egg, but I didn't actually get any funny results.

What am I doing wrong?:rotflmao: (I am on my desktop.)

rin
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Typing "do a barrel roll" and "askew" both gave me regular old search results. In both cases I got results that REFERRED to some sort of Google Easter Egg, but I didn't actually get any funny results.

What am I doing wrong?:rotflmao: (I am on my desktop.)

do them without quotes; I didn't get anything funny with quotes around the phrase/word.

The Shire to Mordor thing seems to give different directions based on where you are, but regardless of what it populates, switch it to "walking directions" (click on the little person icon) and scroll down to the bottom of the page for a note. It's probably only amusing if you're a fan of the Hobbit, though!

sariana
03-11-2013, 03:42 PM
do them without quotes; I didn't get anything funny with quotes around the phrase/word.

The Shire to Mordor thing seems to give different directions based on where you are, but regardless of what it populates, switch it to "walking directions" (click on the little person icon) and scroll down to the bottom of the page for a note. It's probably only amusing if you're a fan of the Hobbit, though!

I didn't use quotes.

I'll look again at the Shire/Mordor link. I didn't scroll to the bottom.

sariana
03-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Nope, no note on my page. WHAT DOES IT SAY? Sorry for shouting, but it's frustrating when people say, "This is so funny," it doesn't work for me, and they won't share! [pouts]

Globetrotter
03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
:yeahthat:

I don't see anything, either!

npace19147
03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
It says, "Use Caution. One does not simply walk into Mordor." as a pp said, funny if you're a LOTR fan!

citymama
03-11-2013, 04:57 PM
It says, "Use Caution. One does not simply walk into Mordor." as a pp said, funny if you're a LOTR fan!

Thanks for telling us - it hasn't worked for me after trying 15 times. I think you have to be a Hobbit to get it to work! ;)

rlu
03-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Do a barrel roll and askew are exactly what you'd think - here's youtube (the mic is noisy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHcSS56ukGM

In honor of Douglas Adams - if the answer to life is 42, what exactly is the question? And, darn it, I keep throwing myself but I just can't miss the ground! (Hitchhiker's Guide was the theme for my high school grad night).