PDA

View Full Version : Advice for photo session with extended family?

smiles33
03-10-2013, 10:04 PM
My brother and I decided to gift my mom with a photo session of our extended family for her birthday. We haven't figured out location or outfits, but we have a few months to do so.

I've already been searching on Pinterest and Google images and know that 1) I don't want us in identical outfits (e.g., all white shirts and khaki pants) and 2) I don't want us in "color groups" to identify individual families (e.g., DB and SIL in blue; DH, DDs and me in green; DM and DF in white).

Everything else is wide open. Location could be the beach, the mountains, grassy park, rustic old farmhouse, Japanese gardens, beautiful Italian-inspired estate, etc.

Outfits probably will be dressy casual rather than t-shirts and shorts. I can't see either of my parents in shorts! We could possibly do jeans, but then I'd have to buy them jeans (and DH!) since the three of them never wear jeans.

The weather may be hot when we take the photos, like in the 80s, so I doubt we'll be wearing many layers or cold weather accessories (which look great in photos!).

I'd love to hear about other families' experiences doing a multigenerational family photo shoot. Thanks in advance!

crl
03-10-2013, 10:24 PM
I suggest that you coordinate colors in some way. We have done this twice and we have ended up with one person sticking out each time in a very different color from everyone else. It's not ideal.

As far as location I would consider three things (1) a location that is meaningful to your family (beach where you take the kids to play, etc.) (2) a location everyone will be comfortable--temperature, wind, etc and (3) ask the photographer for suggestions.

Catherine

Tondi G
03-11-2013, 12:36 AM
I would suggest maybe telling everyone to wear something that you know will coordinate doesn't have to be everyone wear Navy blue or black but maybe say everyone wear a shade of blue on top or maybe choose from 2 colors brown and blue or grey and blue and then maybe twill pants or slacks. Or say everyone in Pastels or jewel tones. I would also suggest you go with Solids ... if one person shows up in polka dots and another in floral and another in stripes or plaid it will be very busy! I saw one group portrait where everyone wore either white, black or grey on top and it worked together nicely.

As far as place .... is there any specific place that it meaningful for your family?

ahisma
03-11-2013, 12:44 AM
We've done it a few times. BIL is an art teacher and has arranged for grads to take photos of my IL's extended families on the beach at MIL's cottage

We have no guidance for clothes, but can guess well enough that everyone will wear muted colors. It's probably a good idea to specify that, or something. (casual, bold, muted, jewels, cocktail, whatever...).

Generally, the photogs do some shots of the whole group, of individual families, of couples, and of kids as a group. We have always done it at the same spot, partially because it's meaningful (FIL bought the cottage), partially because it's super easy.

smiles33
03-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks, ladies!

I know I'm going to end up buying something for my parents to wear (and possibly DH and DDs), so we definitely have to coordinate informality/formality of the clothing and color range with DB and SDIL, since 2 of the 3 groups will be similar in style. I found a few examples on Pinterest of extended family photos featuring 2-3 colors amongst all the members. I also find that I actually prefer a little dash of pattern, rather than all solid tops. It adds some pop to the photo.

http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/550x/49/c1/5f/49c15f49aa15e4c60ba97162b0fe6765.jpg

http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/550x/dd/dd/2e/dddd2e2aaf3b0edef49c7ab28fe0a873.jpg

http://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/550x/09/69/13/096913a4fff24f24aa9e607e8b51d8aa.jpg

http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/550x/c6/9b/fb/c69bfbdf6c679e3ab9bf8c37cf149cd8.jpg

http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/550x/19/e7/b7/19e7b7f45156fa4d943ae854305daaa3.jpg

As for locations, there are 2 sites in my hometown that DB and I are somewhat sentimental about it, but I hesitate to book either of them as each place requires a $200+ photography permit to shoot there and dogs aren't allowed at one place. There's also a local public park we used to go to as kids, so that's a free dog-friendly option. It's just not as scenic.

I'm polling DB and DSIL, too, since DH, DM and DF don't care at all (the 3 of them have pretty much said, "You decide and just tell me what to wear."

Blue Hydrangea
03-12-2013, 12:01 AM
I've managed my (admittedly small) extended family photos every summer. What we've done in the past- 1) everyone in a shirt or dress in a shade of the same color, but with no one in the same family matching, 2) shades of two coodinating colors, with a mix of the two colors within families, and 3) we've done two main colors with an accent color, kids in coordinating patterns.

happymom
03-12-2013, 12:16 AM
I wud pick a few colors that go nicely together. Patterns or solids, doesn't necessarily matter as long as overall colors blend I think. Also colors might depend on location. I love grey, yellow, and turquoise together but that's kind of random- I just happen to like it cuz there bright and pretty but not commonly paired together.