PDA

View Full Version : This isn't normal, right?

KonzaPrairie
03-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I am 10 weeks pregnant today. With DD I had moderate morning sickness that could generally be controlled with zofran, but it lasted until 18 weeks. It wouldn't stop the queasiness, but it did seem to keep me from throwing up all day long.

I thought this pregnancy was going ok. I still had m/s, but it seemed a little better than with DD. I was only taking zofran every couple days, and it even seemed to help my queasiness.

Then this weekend happened. Friday night I was really uncomfortable. I finally puked everything about 1 am. I got up a couple more times to pee that night and everytime it ended in vomiting.

Saturday morning I decided maybe I just needed some food in my stomach. DH brought me some apple slices and a piece of bread. I felt ok enough to go sit outside and watch him play with DD for about 30 minutes. On the way back inside I lost my breakfast. I seemed to feel ok lying down, so I decided I was just going to lie down for the rest of the day until it passed. Towards the end of the day I felt a little better, but I still couldn't sit/stand/walk down the hall without dry heaving. I managed to not throw up again, but only because I literally spent the entire day in bed.

I slept well Saturday night, and even went to the bathroom once without vomiting.

Today I've felt a little better, and have been able to keep down everything I've eaten (pancake, chicken noodle soup, chicken and rice, milk, water, orange, apple), but again cannot stand up, walk, or even sit up for more than a few minutes without feeling like I'm going to puke again. I don't want to test it so I just lie down again.

I don't think this is as severe as hyperemesis. I am keeping food/drink down. But I don't know how I'm going to take care of DD (16 months) lying down!

I told DH that I will get up with him in the morning, but if I can't shower without vomiting he needs to stay home and take me to the Dr.

Sorry this turned out so long. Here's my real questions: Is there anything the Dr. can do? Are there better medications than zofran? Is this normal morning sickness and am I just a wimp?

sarahsthreads
03-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I don't know if that's normal or not. Please don't hate me, but I never actually threw up with any of my pregnancies due to morning sickness. I felt like I *might* all day, every day for a good solid 7-8 weeks each time, but I must have a stomach of iron. (On more than one occasion I wished I would just get sick, it seemed like I would feel better after!)

It certainly couldn't hurt to see your doctor, if you wake up still feeling so sick tomorrow. Is it possible you have a GI bug on top of the morning sickness? Or food poisoning from something?

I can only imagine how hard it would be to take care of your DD while feeling that sick. I hope you just have a virus (that sounds awful!) and that you wake up feeling much better tomorrow!

Sarah

Cam&Clay
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
I had hyperemesis with both. Whether or not you have it is beside the point right now because you are not functioning normally. Morning sickness is supposed to be a nuisance, not be debilitating. I threw up as many as 10 times a day.

With DS1, they didn't have anything but phenergan to give me. With DS2, I started on Zofran three times a day. When it got so bad that I still couldn't function, the doctor put me on Zofran and Reglan together. It was magical! I still had some nausea, but the vomiting was under control.

I wish you luck and really hope you find some relief.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-10-2013, 10:52 PM
oh for your sake i'm hoping it's food poisoning or a bug. because i have totally been there and it is NOT fun. like you i had moderate morning sickness with my first that lasted 18 weeks, and zofran controlled it for the most part(i only took like maybe 6 pills my entire pregnancy). however with DD it was a whole nother ball game! i got sick WAY more. i started popping zofran like candy.I had to hire a sitter for 2 mornings a week to watch DS because it was just SO hard (my DH travels a ton, and we have no family in town, and DS was super-active..he was only 7mo when i got pregnant, so needed tons of attention and couldn't really play on his own). For me, the morning sickness always reared its really really ugly head at 10-11 weeks (infuriating because everyone other source says it should get BETTER at that point!) i think part of the reason it was worse the 2nd time around, at least for me, was just due to the exhaustion for dealing with a baby at the same time. I know with my first the nausea/vomiting was triggered by lack of sleep, being tired and was often helped by lying down..i coud'nt do that anymore once i had ds.

anyway, i do think it's worth talking to your OB about. i once went to the ER at like 16 weeks bc i had a horrible headache and woudlnt' stop vomiting despite zofran, etc. They were able to give me an IV and anti-nausea/pain meds so that helped. i later found out from my OB that they had IVs there in their office for really bad morning sickness/vomting so i didn't have to go to ER...wish i had known earlier. May be something you can ask your Dr.

anyway, so sorry. morning sickness is just so, so rotten. i hated it bc it seemed like i had it much worse than practically everyone i knew, other than my own mother. if it makes you feel any better, around 18 weeks with dd i finally started to feel better.

eta: my ob also gave me phenergan. for me that didnt' work as well as zofran, but i took it sometimes at night bc it would make me sleepy.

ArizonaGirl
03-10-2013, 11:04 PM
It sounds a bit like vertigo. I'm not sure what if anything the DR. can do about it, but it sounds like it might be tied to your balance.

Hope you get to feeling like a human again.

HTH

MamaMolly
03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Inner ear infection, maybe?

BDKmom
03-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Inner ear infection, maybe?

Sounds like this to me. I would call the dr. I have never know anyone that had morning sickness that sounded like that. That sounds horrible. Hope you feel better soon.

wellyes
03-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Call the doctor - feel better. Sleep as much as you can. GL.

KonzaPrairie
03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses and validating that this is not normal!

I started taking zofran again last night (I forgot to mention that since it didn't seem to be working Friday night/sat morning I had not taken another dose) and felt significantly better by the time I went to bed. This morning I got up and still feel weak, but again with another zofran dose I've been able to get myself and DD dressed, breakfast, and we even met a friend for lunch. So it feels like it's under control now and I will be sure to mention it to the Dr next time.

DD had a tummy bug last Monday, and I kept thinking surely I wouldn't get it 5 days later, but maybe I did? I didn't have any other symptoms (diarrhea, fever) so I'm not convinced it was that.

Interesting idea on the inner ear or vertigo issues, I wouldn't have thought of that! Coincidentally my dr called today and said my initial lab results came back and it looks like I might have hyperthyroidism. Could that have caused this?

Thanks again for your thoughts, even the commiseration helped!

sarahsthreads
03-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm so glad you're feeling better! Honestly, unless your next appointment is sometime in the next couple of days, I'd at least call and ask to discuss what happened this weekend with your doctor. I think they'd want to know, especially if it's possible that it's related to the potential hyperthyroidism.

Sarah :)

AustenFan
03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
I just wanted to chime in that this fall I went on zofran at 8 or so weeks and it helped me keep food down but didn't cut the actual nausea. I could deal with that. Then I got a refill and felt like I was getting so much worse--vomiting nonstop again...my OB told me to break my pills in half and take part in the morning and part at night, and it did not help. It took me 2-3 weeks to realize that the pharmacy had given me the wrong dosage (only half as much as before)--with halving my pills, I was essentially getting 1/4 the meds I'd been taking initially, when it actually helped. I totally should have noticed the pill size, but I was too busy throwing up. =( Figuring that out made things so much better. Also, zofran stopped me up so much that I think *that* started making me feel sick, too--make sure you're doing plenty to keep things moving. Hopefully this weekend was something else--a flu bug or something external that is not going to stick with you--but do double check your dosage.

Morningsickness with an active toddler is NOT fun. You are not a wimp! Rest as much as you can, and make yourself accept any reasonable offer of help. Hope you feel better really soon!!!:hug:

ncat
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
I have had little to no morning sickness this pregnancy, but have had two rounds of stomach bug. Norovirus had been going around both my office and DS's daycare. Both DS and DH got at least one round, and it did have several days incubation between family members.

KonzaPrairie
03-11-2013, 10:25 PM
ncat, I really wish this was just a stomach bug! I started to feel like I was crashing again tonight but was able to control the actual vomiting. Definitely calling the OB in the morning. I can't live like this! I started a new thread with my thyroid results and would love any advice from those of you who know anything about this...