PDA

View Full Version : Ok to give birthday present without gift receipt?

daisyd
03-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Title says it all. I generally include a gift receipt with birthday presents DS gives to his friends. For the first time, I bought some for the gift closet at Thanksgiving which means these items are out of the return window. I gather a lot of mamas do this, so I imagine presents without receipts are okay?

Thanks!

Melaine
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Gosh yes! I think a gift receipt is a nice extra but totally not necessary and certainly should not be expected.

gamma
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I feel like I need to save money wherever I can. If I fine a gift on sale, I like to stash it away. I'd say it's fine, I have never given a gift receipt.

wellyes
03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Gift receipt is DEFINITELY a "nice to have" not a requirement. Give the gift no question at all.

ett
03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes! Most of the gifts we receive do not come with gift receipts.

vonfirmath
03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
I rarely give gift receipts at kid birthday parties.

IF they don't like the gift they can regift.

elbenn
03-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I agree with PPs--it's nice to give but not necessary.

twowhat?
03-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Totally! The only time I include a gift receipt is if I get a gift from Target or Kohls because those are stores that are relatively easy for most people to get to. And even then, sometimes I forget. Gifts are not required to come with gift receipts!

AngB
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Yes. DS got some duplicate items (we already had) for his 1st bday without a receipt, they were good items (Melissa and Doug toolset), I just regifted for a friend's son's 1st. I'm ok with donating if nothing else too, my kids are young enough not to notice and have more than enough toys. Gift receipts are nice but not necessary.

lhafer
03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I rarely give gift receipts. I figure if they already have it, or don't want it, they will regift it to someone else. No biggie.

Seitvonzu
03-11-2013, 11:19 AM
i have a friend that gets grumpy when people don't give gift receipts and she tells me about it. i very rarely give a gift receipt, and this kinda makes me feel called out!

i just gave a gift yesterday that i got on sale a while ago.... no gift receipt. they don't have to keep the gift, no hard feelings, regift if you must.

div_0305
03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I'd do what most people in your circle do. In mine, almost everyone gives a gift receipt---even for class birthday parties, where the kids are school friends but don't meet outside of school. On occasion, if I have something really nice that could easily be re-gifted, like Legos, I give it without a receipt. But as someone who has received some gifts not easily re-gifted or desirable and had to donate, I guess bottom line to me is, yes, it's nice to give but not required.

katydid1971
03-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Gift receipt is DEFINITELY a "nice to have" not a requirement. Give the gift no question at all.

:yeahthat:
Since most of our gifts come from the gift closet they rarely have a receipt.

daisyd
03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Great, thanks a bunch!

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2013, 01:24 PM
I'd say it's fine, I have never given a gift receipt.

:yeahthat:

SnuggleBuggles
03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Gosh yes! I think a gift receipt is a nice extra but totally not necessary and certainly should not be expected.

:yeahthat: 95% of the time I buy new, for that gift and include the gift receipt. I don't stress the rest of the time.