PDA

View Full Version : can you tolerate another Vitamix post?.....(updated w/Costco Roadshow link #25)

AnnieW625
03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I am about to feel like I am going to eat my words here! :bag;)

Which model do you have? Where did you buy it? Which jar size do you have?

Alright so yesterday we were at Costco and we had the kids with us and it is Vitamix demo time. DDs of course want to try the smoothies so we gave in. They did a frap. coffee drink as we got there, and a then a green smoothie, and then we went back a second time right before leaving and they did one of the ice creams. We didn't buy it, but DD1 who is picky about veggies said she liked the green smoothie, DD2 liked the iced cream, and I who cannot stand the taste of bananas at all could not detect even the slightest taste of banana in my smoothie (HUGE):thumbsup:. DD1 said we should buy the red unit.

The unit they were using was the 6300, but I think I like the smaller squat 64 oz. jar of the 7500, and the Vitamix Creations they have on QVC, but I really like pre sets on the 6300.

On the way home when DD1 asked DH when the next time we were going to Disneyland (we live 20 minutes away, and haven't been in iver a year) DH said DL isn't worth it anymore and that we'd probably use the Vitamix more :hysterical: (he must have been channeling his inner BBB mentality or something), and it would be about the cost for the 4 of us to go to DL for a single day if I got either the refurbed 6300 or 7500 from Vitamix:shake:.

rin
03-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm laughing here, Annie! I feel like you and I have totally been on the same page about a Vitamix being ridiculously overpriced . . . right up until DH started talking about how cool it would be to have veggie smoothies, and we ordered a refurbished 7500. It's showing up on Thursday; I'll post once we get it. :)

Melaine
03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Hahahaha I knew you guys would cave. :rotflmao:

WatchingThemGrow
03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
I probably should have ordered the red (maybe I can still change it???) but I ordered the white 7500/professional whatever one from the vitamix specials page this morning. I thought that since our mixer is white, I'll always have some white stuff, and when I get to put together my dream kitchen in my next house, it'll be mostly white... anyway, that's our story.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2013, 01:20 PM
well we have the 6300, in red, got from Costco. jar size is 64 oz (tall).

initially the tall size jar bothered me, bc it can't fit under a counter, but now that i've used it for a month it is not an issue at all. when not in use it spends most of its time upside down in a drying rack anyway :) in fact i like the taller size, so it can make enough for the whole family.

yesterday we ended up using it four times. i made a green smoothie in the morning, then DH made orange juice, then DH made peanut butter, then we made banana ice cream. The peanut butter was SO D*MN good. we literally just tossed in a jar of Honey Roasted Planters peanuts and then in a minute or got the creamiest, yummiest tasting PB. Our super-picky nephews (age 8 and 10) even couldnt' stop eating it and kept asking for more. *I*couldn't stop eating it. made me never want to have "regular" PB again.

AnnieW625
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks all! I might have to wait a few weeks because I need to pay my state income tax, and my property tax first and make sure that my bonus will cover this as well because my employer paid us our bonuses directly and didn't take out any income taxes (it's a state employee thing, but my company makes 100% of their own money, hence the bonus), so those income taxes are being taken out of next month's check (by the state) and it could eat up about 40% of the $1200 bonus.

I really don't have a preference in color, it is whatever is on sale! My Kitchen Aid mixer (and my current Waring blender) are pistaschio green so I know it isn't going to match. I love the turqouise of the QVC Creations blender, but I think the white looks nice and crisp, but the red looks nice as well and for a little less I'd rather have the multiple settings and am not 100% sure I'd use the dry jar since I still use my mixer and Cuisinart (but could easily get rid of my manual juicer, the Waring blender, and my Cuisinart ice cream maker, which I have never really loved), unless it comes with some attachment that shreads cheese or grates onions. Now if it made rice, that would be awesome!

We eat a lot of peanut butter so I anticipate being able to make that as well. DH, and the kids put it on bagels daily. We go through a large jar every 2 weeks. I am sure a large jar of peanuts from Costco is cheaper in the long run.

Kindra178
03-11-2013, 03:16 PM
You guys are killing me . . . Let me know what you decide, Annie.

rin
03-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks all! I might have to wait a few weeks because I need to pay my state income tax, and my property tax first and make sure that my bonus will cover this as well because my employer paid us our bonuses directly and didn't take out any income taxes (it's a state employee thing, but my company makes 100% of their own money, hence the bonus), so those income taxes are being taken out of next month's check (by the state) and it could eat up about 40% of the $1200 bonus.

I really don't have a preference in color, it is whatever is on sale! My Kitchen Aid mixer (and my current Waring blender) are pistaschio green so I know it isn't going to match. I love the turqouise of the QVC Creations blender, but I think the white looks nice and crisp, but the red looks nice as well and for a little less I'd rather have the multiple settings and am not 100% sure I'd use the dry jar since I still use my mixer and Cuisinart (but could easily get rid of my manual juicer, the Waring blender, and my Cuisinart ice cream maker, which I have never really loved), unless it comes with some attachment that shreads cheese or grates onions. Now if it made rice, that would be awesome!

We eat a lot of peanut butter so I anticipate being able to make that as well. DH, and the kids put it on bagels daily. We go through a large jar every 2 weeks. I am sure a large jar of peanuts from Costco is cheaper in the long run.

We decided to go for the 7500 w/out presets, not because of the jar shape really but because it's advertised as being 40% quieter than the other motor. Not sure how much of a difference that actually makes, but I liked the idea of a quieter blender. I definitely debated about the presets vs the noise, but the top-of-the-line one (the Pro 750) just seemed way more than we needed, plus it's crazy pricey. We paid $432 w/shipping & tax for a reconditioned 7500 w/one jar and a set of spatulas (there was a free shipping code that took off $25). Just as an FYI though, the reconditioned ones come w/a 5-year warranty vs the 7-year for the new ones.

cilantromapuche
03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I debated over the 750 and 7500 as well. I went with the 7500 and wonder if I will regret it. I didn't get the spatulas though. Are they special or different. I hope the Vitamix really shakes up our breakfast routine (pun intended) and gets more veggies in my family.

KLD313
03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Not trying to hijack but has anyone owned one for awhile and still use it as much as you did in the beginning? I find I buy things and then the novelty wears off and it sits collecting dust.

Aishe
03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
We have had the 5200 for about a year and still use it several times a week. It's warming up here so we're drinking more smoothies again. Last summer we were using it multiple times a day and I expect this summer to be the same. I honestly can't understand the value of the presets. I mean, blending is not exactly rocket science, kwim? It's pretty obvious when a smoothie is, well, smooth. If the 7500 is quieter, that's what I would get. I don't know how the 5200 compares in terms of volume level, but I think it is LOUD. Quieter definitely would factor into my decision.

quinnsmom
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
I finally bought one a few weeks ago after wanting one for so long. I kept telling myself that it was ridiculous to spend that much money on a blender. Since it was delivered I have used it at least once a day. Only for smoothies so far. I am just getting over the flu and don't feel like eating any meals. But I'm hungry and know I need to eat. So I have been making and eating smoothies with fruit and spinach that taste SO good and make me feel good. My old Oster blender that I got at my wedding shower back in '99 that I've been using all these years has nothing on the Vitamix. The spinach would never blend completely and my smooties were always chunky and watery. But with the Vitamix - WOW. I wish I hadn't waited so long. My Vitamix smoothies are so creamy without any chunks of anything. And it obliterates the ice making a nice thick (or thinner if I want) smoothie consistency. My very picky daughter is now drinking green smoothies (as long I put blueberries in so its purple instead of green.) She asks for them daily. And its so easy to clean - way easier than my old blender. Once I feel better I want to try other things - the cookbooks that came with it have so many great recipes.

I got the basic one (http://www.qvc.com/Vitamix-Creations-48-oz.-15-in-1-2-Speed-Blender-wDry-Container.product.K38547.html?sc=K38547-Zone&cm_scid=zone&cm_sp=MERCHZONE-_-Featured:+Best+Sellers-_-1) from QVC when it was their "today's special value" for $399. What finally sold me was the interest free 5 monthly payments of $79.80 - that made it more acceptable in my mind to spend that much money on a blender. Plus I really wanted the turquoise color and initially ordered that but it was waitlisted so I switched my color choice the next day. So I went with the cinnamon color and I really like it.

I was worried about the basic high low switch - that I would be missing out with not having the variable speed. But I can't see how I would need it now after using it. I haven't used the dry container yet but plan too. And the shorter container has been fine as far as being big enough. Although today when I went to clean the container I put too much warm water in with soap. I turned it on low and water shot up through the sides of the lid and soapy water went all over the counter and floors. It was actually an easy way to clean the floor! But of course not intentional. As I was cleaning up I thought that probably wouldn't happen with the taller container or if I, duh, watched more closely the amount of water I put in. And I'm not quite sure if I put the lid on right because that really shouldn't happen...

I say go for it. I am really glad I did. And if you get one at Costco and don't like it - you can always return it.

OKKiddo
03-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I bought the refurbished 6300--for the presets. :) The way I was looking at it was that I wanted super simplicity for each level of person using it...distracted Mommy, clueless Daddy, disinterested babysitter, confused grandparents, and with the projected life of the machine likely also well meaning child (my oldest is 6 years old).

I just got mine today and I don't think it's all that noisy at all (less noisy than my husband's new Starbucks coffee machine). I do however have to store it with the canister beside the base and pull it out to use it because of my low cabinets. :/

Green22
03-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I finally bought one a few weeks ago after wanting one for so long. I kept telling myself that it was ridiculous to spend that much money on a blender. Since it was delivered I have used it at least once a day. Only for smoothies so far. I am just getting over the flu and don't feel like eating any meals. But I'm hungry and know I need to eat. So I have been making and eating smoothies with fruit and spinach that taste SO good and make me feel good. My old Oster blender that I got at my wedding shower back in '99 that I've been using all these years has nothing on the Vitamix. The spinach would never blend completely and my smooties were always chunky and watery. But with the Vitamix - WOW. I wish I hadn't waited so long. My Vitamix smoothies are so creamy without any chunks of anything. And it obliterates the ice making a nice thick (or thinner if I want) smoothie consistency. My very picky daughter is now drinking green smoothies (as long I put blueberries in so its purple instead of green.) She asks for them daily. And its so easy to clean - way easier than my old blender. Once I feel better I want to try other things - the cookbooks that came with it have so many great recipes.

I got the basic one (http://www.qvc.com/Vitamix-Creations-48-oz.-15-in-1-2-Speed-Blender-wDry-Container.product.K38547.html?sc=K38547-Zone&cm_scid=zone&cm_sp=MERCHZONE-_-Featured:+Best+Sellers-_-1) from QVC when it was their "today's special value" for $399. What finally sold me was the interest free 5 monthly payments of $79.80 - that made it more acceptable in my mind to spend that much money on a blender. Plus I really wanted the turquoise color and initially ordered that but it was waitlisted so I switched my color choice the next day. So I went with the cinnamon color and I really like it.

I was worried about the basic high low switch - that I would be missing out with not having the variable speed. But I can't see how I would need it now after using it. I haven't used the dry container yet but plan too. And the shorter container has been fine as far as being big enough. Although today when I went to clean the container I put too much warm water in with soap. I turned it on low and water shot up through the sides of the lid and soapy water went all over the counter and floors. It was actually an easy way to clean the floor! But of course not intentional. As I was cleaning up I thought that probably wouldn't happen with the taller container or if I, duh, watched more closely the amount of water I put in. And I'm not quite sure if I put the lid on right because that really shouldn't happen...

I say go for it. I am really glad I did. And if you get one at Costco and don't like it - you can always return it.

Yes to all this. I like the shorter container just fine because it sits on my countertop. Used daily. Dd initially was excited about smoothies but doesn't actually drink them now. I still do and make them. Love it so much! I figure one day they will be drinking the smoothies too! And I am hoping to try to make bread with it.

I was also embarrassed at myself for spending what is literally more than 1/2 my mortgage payment on it but now I am so happy I have it. And I think the number 2 reason why I love it (number 1 being the amazing shakes) is the ease of cleaning. That makes me use it more than if it was a pita to clean.

Looking through the recipe book I do not see how I would NEED the one with the 1-10 settings but if you want to go all out and spend the money one time, go for it. You should just pick what you really want, buy it and don't look back. Money well spent.

jgenie
03-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Does anyone have a link for the Costco roadshows? I can't seem to find any dates or location information. TIA

twowhat?
03-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Not trying to hijack but has anyone owned one for awhile and still use it as much as you did in the beginning? I find I buy things and then the novelty wears off and it sits collecting dust.

I definitely don't use ours as much. But not because of loss of novelty. Because my picky little sh!ts won't drink most of what I make in it, and the whole reason I got it was to get more fruits and veggies into them!!! However, I want to start up again at least to make stuff for DH and I.

Oh and to answer the OP, I got the cheaper one from Costco - $379 with just the 64 oz container, which spends most of its time on its side (it dries faster that way).

buttercup
03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
I think i have the cheapest, which is the 5200 something. Have had it a week, it has been great.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Does anyone have a link for the Costco roadshows? I can't seem to find any dates or location information. TIA

i got roadshow info from Vitamix website. most of the demos i see are at Costco, but there are some at Whole Foods too, and other events (fairs, etc). note this lists retailers as well (e.g. Bed Bath and Beyond), that usually do not have demos. it will say "live demo" next to the Costco ones

https://www.vitamix.com/Where-To-Buy/Find-Retailer-Live-Demo

jgenie
03-11-2013, 11:49 PM
i got roadshow info from Vitamix website. most of the demos i see are at Costco, but there are some at Whole Foods too, and other events (fairs, etc). note this lists retailers as well (e.g. Bed Bath and Beyond), that usually do not have demos. it will say "live demo" next to the Costco ones

https://www.vitamix.com/Where-To-Buy/Find-Retailer-Live-Demo

Thanks - this was the link I was using but there aren't any Costco listed near me. I swear there was one listed for later in March but can't find it now. Wonder if they could have cancelled them. So odd....

DualvansMommy
03-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks - this was the link I was using but there aren't any Costco listed near me. I swear there was one listed for later in March but can't find it now. Wonder if they could have cancelled them. So odd....

same here! :yeahthat: i even put it in my iCal, so i'll remember...but now my nearest costco isn't showing any dates for the demo for this month, when i remember seeing it end of jan....so annoying....and now it looks like the next nearest Costco that stocks 6300 (the one i want) is 20 miles away till the 13th...so i guess i better go quick!

AnnieW625
03-12-2013, 03:12 AM
I bought the refurbished 6300--for the presets. :) The way I was looking at it was that I wanted super simplicity for each level of person using it...distracted Mommy, clueless Daddy, disinterested babysitter, confused grandparents, and with the projected life of the machine likely also well meaning child (my oldest is 6 years old).

I just got mine today and I don't think it's all that noisy at all (less noisy than my husband's new Starbucks coffee machine). I do however have to store it with the canister beside the base and pull it out to use it because of my low cabinets. :/

See that is my thinking too. I still need to measure my cabinets.

I calculated the total, the Vitamix refurbs. come with a 5 yr. warranty standard for $379, if I want another 3 yrs. it is $75, plus 9% sales tax that equals $488, and who knows what the shipping charges would be if I decided I didn't want it and had to return to Vitamix. So if I buy a 6300 or even the cheaper $379 model at Costco at least I know I can take it back if I hate it or simply don't use it as much, and the price on the 6300 is only $45-$50 more (depending on what county I buy it in--OC has 8%) and I get 7 yrs. standard.

blisstwins
03-12-2013, 07:28 AM
I bought the $379 model from costco a few weeks ago. It is noisy, but I love it and use it all the time. I have a hard time imagining that you need all the presets and other bells and whistles. It is really easy to use.

jgenie
03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
I bought the $379 model from costco a few weeks ago. It is noisy, but I love it and use it all the time. I have a hard time imagining that you need all the presets and other bells and whistles. It is really easy to use.

Silly question but do they have it in red at Costco without the roadshow?

♥ms.pacman♥
03-12-2013, 09:16 AM
/

:yeahthat: yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Yes, using a Vitamix is not rocket science. But neither is putting on a cloth diaper, yet with that our sitter/grandparents freaked out/asked so many questions/complained to the point that i just gave up. With the vitamix, I can just see the questions - how long do I run it? what speed? Is it supposed to do that? Am setting it too high? too long? etc. this takes the guesswork out of it. It was worth the money to me. I actually only use it half the time, the other half DH uses it. Especially for the soups..i just set it and forget about it and go play with the kids in the meantime.

AnnieW625
03-12-2013, 01:14 PM
It took some poking around Bing (Bing actually worked:hysterical:--it rarely works well for me), but here is the Vitamix Costco Roadshow schedule for the spring of 2013:
http://www.costco.com/vitamix-schedule.html

Don't ask me why but Colorado, Nevada, and Arizona are listed in the San Diego region.

jgenie
03-12-2013, 01:24 PM
It took some poking around Bing (Bing actually worked:hysterical:--it rarely works well for me), but here is the Vitamix Costco Roadshow schedule for the spring of 2013:
http://www.costco.com/vitamix-schedule.html

Don't ask me why but Colorado, Nevada, and Arizona are listed in the San Diego region.

Thanks Annie - I swear I was beginning to question my sanity. :)

AnnieW625
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Also if anyone is okay with the 5200 you can get it, the additional 32 oz. dry goods jar and three cookbooks (not sure if they are smaller than the large one they have at the road show), and shipping and handling for $499 on costco.com.