PDA

View Full Version : F/u thread: would you have lithotripsy for a kidney stone that was not causing pain?

jerseygirl07067
03-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I just got the call today regarding the cost and I am completely floored. The hospital fee is $13000 alone, not including anesthesia costs, physician charges etc. I have insurance, but I still have to pay 20%. It is the ESWL type lithotripsy which uses the ultrasonic waves to break up the stone.

I have a 6mm stone on my right side and I know the agony stones cause as I passed one on Thanksgiving. This is the thread to my original post: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=454831

However, I am not having any pain and how likely it is the stone may just lodge itself and never pass? I also realize that should this become a complicated matter, it could be even more costly, and I realize that. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. I feel like ticking time bomb, but I still haven't gotten clear answers as to why I'm making the stones other than "genetics", yet no one in my family has ever had them.

I just feel like this is a lot for a noninvasive procedure.

KLD313
03-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Isn't there also a risk of the lithotripsy not working? I remember my father having that but it was awhile ago, maybe things have changed. His didn't work and he ended up having surgery to remove it.

Idk give that it's not causing pain and if it may not work I probably would do it. If it's large enough to the block the kidney I probably would because that's scary.

jerseygirl07067
03-11-2013, 05:00 PM
I am going to go for a 2nd opinion.

While the sticker shock has worn off, and I just found out my out of pocket maximum is $2000 after my $650 deductible, at least I know if I do get this done, I am done for the year. Thank goodness for that. I wonder though, if I used a doctor who did this procedure at an outpatient surgical center, if it would be less costly. I seem to be having a hard time finding that out, as I can only get prices on procedures if they are actually scheduled. No one in billing at any facility seems to want to give me this information.

JustMe
03-11-2013, 11:21 PM
I am going to go for a 2nd opinion.

While the sticker shock has worn off, and I just found out my out of pocket maximum is $2000 after my $650 deductible, at least I know if I do get this done, I am done for the year. Thank goodness for that. I wonder though, if I used a doctor who did this procedure at an outpatient surgical center, if it would be less costly. I seem to be having a hard time finding that out, as I can only get prices on procedures if they are actually scheduled. No one in billing at any facility seems to want to give me this information.

I think getting the 2nd opinion is a great idea.

As far as the out patient surgical center, just wanted to share that when I had this done over 10 years ago, they discharged me the same day, but I was in so much pain and could not hold down the pain meds that I had to be re-admitted to the hospital. Maybe meds/pain management is better these days, but I would ask a lot of questions about pain managment/back up plans if you look into an outpatient route.

jerseygirl07067
03-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Isn't there also a risk of the lithotripsy not working? I remember my father having that but it was awhile ago, maybe things have changed. His didn't work and he ended up having surgery to remove it.

Idk give that it's not causing pain and if it may not work I probably would do it. If it's large enough to the block the kidney I probably would because that's scary.

I know, it's definitely not 100%, though the outcome is better if the stones are smaller. Mine are 6mm, which, according to the urologist, should have a much better outcome. He does not think I will need a stent, and thinks I will only need one treatment.

Still, the whole thing is unnerving....like waking a sleeping giant....$%@#!# stones!!

jerseygirl07067
03-12-2013, 01:10 AM
I think getting the 2nd opinion is a great idea.

As far as the out patient surgical center, just wanted to share that when I had this done over 10 years ago, they discharged me the same day, but I was in so much pain and could not hold down the pain meds that I had to be re-admitted to the hospital. Maybe meds/pain management is better these days, but I would ask a lot of questions about pain managment/back up plans if you look into an outpatient route.

Did the procedure work for you? That is what I am afraid of. This whole kidney stone issue is giving me a lot of anxiety, and I am not typically an anxious type of person. :(

JustMe
03-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Did the procedure work for you? That is what I am afraid of. This whole kidney stone issue is giving me a lot of anxiety, and I am not typically an anxious type of person. :(

Yes, the procedure worked fine! I have had no problems since. The evening of, however, was horrific and I was so relieved when they admitted me to the hospital. Nausea (sp?) and the inability to keep the pain meds down was huge for me, and perhaps they have gotten better with things like this?

jerseygirl07067
03-12-2013, 12:19 PM