PDA

View Full Version : Kids mystery party recommendation

missym
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
DD1's 10th birthday party was yesterday, and we had such a great time! She wanted to do a party at home and invite about 10 kids. Yikes! We decided to do a mystery party (to save me planning activities to keep them occupied!). I found this site offering a bunch of different parties especially for kids: www.dramaticfanatic.com (http://www.dramaticfanatic.com)

We ordered the Medieval Mystery party and it was great! The story was cute, the instructions were good and the materials were well done. We had 13 people ages 7-70 participating and they all had a great time. I played the host - also fun, esp if you ad-lib a bit and really ham it up. We provided a variety of hats, props and costume pieces available to help everyone get in the spirit. Stick-on mustaches and funny hats/wigs were the big hit.

The mystery took about 1.5 hrs, and we gave them 20 min or so to "get in character" while all the guests were still arriving. I skipped over a few things because we were running short on time - it's pretty easy to adapt. There's no running around the house - we did the whole mystery in one room. We bought and made castle-themed decorations for the house to set the mood, but I don't think you'd have to do that.

We will definitely be doing another mystery party from Dramatic Fanatic. I'd recommend it for ages 8+ (maybe younger if they're very comfortable reading aloud).

Oh, and my sister made a beautiful castle cake - if I get a chance, I'll post a pic to brag on her amazing skills.

Seitvonzu
03-11-2013, 03:55 PM
What a fun idea for a party :) so different and definitely "grown up" but still not too grown up. i love it :) and i'd love to see the cake!

ellies mom
03-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I knew that American Girl used to have "mystery games" for the historical dolls. I had looked into it for a possible party idea for DD1 but because they are discontinued, they are kind of expensive. This will give me something else to consider.

minnie-zb
03-11-2013, 03:58 PM
What great timing -- my oldest (she will be 11) and I have been trying to come up with something to do for her party. You think this would be good?

missym
03-11-2013, 05:26 PM
What great timing -- my oldest (she will be 11) and I have been trying to come up with something to do for her party. You think this would be good?

I think that's a great age. We had mostly 10-11 year olds, and they loved it. It helps if there are a couple of grownups playing who can be really "into" it and keep the energy going - and of course the host has to be enthusiastic and dramatic.

I was surprised by the two 13 year olds at the party - I worried they might think it was lame (or at least pretend to), but they did a great job and had fun, too.

infomama
03-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Bookmarked for dd1s next bash! So cool!

missym
03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm finally getting around to posting a pic of the amazing cake my sister made. The towers are ice cream cones stained with food coloring.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1337/5162394/18569690/406056713.jpg

We decorated the house with medieval-themed cutouts and banners.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1337/5162394/18569690/406056715.jpg

The owner of Dramatic Fanatic provided this discount code to share when I sent her my review:
10% off total purchase, coupon code DRAMFAN297