PDA

View Full Version : S/O leaning in... what career did you step out of to become a SAHM?

ourbabygirl
03-11-2013, 04:11 PM
For me it was teaching. I taught for about 8 years before starting a family, and been home for about 4.5 years now. Trying to figure out what my career will be when I go back, as I can't imagine doing the same thing I was doing before kids... I just don't think I could be a great (FT) teacher and a great mom (and wife) without being miserable and burned out.

How about you? What career did you leave? Will you go back to a different job or number of hours if you go back to work?

AngB
03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Left teaching.
Going back to school for sonography, which I hope to do part time, in a few years.

almostamom
03-11-2013, 04:20 PM
I taught for 13 years, stayed home for 6 years, and have been back teaching for the past 2.5 years. I always said I couldn't be the mother I expect myself to be and the teacher I expect myself to be simultaneously. I taught in a large school district originally, had between 30-32 students in my class every year, and worked 60 hours a week. When my DS started kindergarten, I offered to sub at his small, private school. I was hired to replace a teacher who left mid-year. For the past 2 school years I have been job sharing with another teacher at the school. We teach 5th grade. I work M,T and she works Th, F. We alternate Wed. It is the absolute best of both worlds and my class size has been around 12-16 at this school.

maestramommy
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Like OP, I was a teacher, I taught FT for 8 years before DD1 was born. I've been a SAHM since. Not sure what my next career move will be, since orchestra is almost non-existent here. And I won't be going back until DD3 is in 1st grade, so who knows what will happen? .

I didn't read Lean In, so I'm not too hep on the details of the author's premise, but just from the talk here I have a feeling she is on the tier of Anne Marie Slaughter. These women and their career trajectories are so far from my own life that while I find their stories entertaining (yeah I really said entertaining) I have a hard time seeing how it is relevant to me. Their struggles and mine are completely different. We're not on the same wavelength at all. Nothing wrong with them or me, it's just not relevant.

rin
03-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I had DD1 right after (3 days after) I defended my dissertation proposal. Up until then, I was a full-time student, and then was teaching at least 1 class at a time or tutoring on top of coursework. In the now almost 3 years since she was born, I've been home with the (now 2) girls and working on my dissertation. I'm hoping to defend this coming summer, and will be looking for a job either teaching at the college/university level, or possibly a research/policy type job. When I do start working again, because of how the academic job cycles work, I'll have been out of work for probably 3.5-4 years.

daniele_ut
03-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I was a theatrical lighting designer. I've gone back and forth between the creative side of theatre and the business side but the job I left to become a SAHM was sales and project management for a large theatrical lighting company. I still do some freelance work in the industry.

wencit
03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
I left my career as an electrical engineer to be a SAHM. It has been too long (6 years and counting) since I've been in the workforce for me to think about going into the tech industry again.

So, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do when the kids go to school.

brittone2
03-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Physical therapist. I still maintain my licensure.

I currently HS our kids, so a 2nd career of sorts ;) The pay isn't too great, however ;)

I worked in EI and loved it, but working part time still would have had some challenges. With EI it can be tough to say you are only going to work certain days of the week. There are meetings to attend with families, case managers, and other therapists, etc. as well as staff meetings and other obligations. Most people I know who try to do 2 or 3 days a week run into needing childcare the other days of the week periodically for meetings and such. Since EI is focused on the family, scheduling around that, especially when other therapists are involved, makes it tough to restrict days. If I had family nearby interested in providing childcare (I don't), that would have been easier to manage. Add in a husband who travels some for work, and it would have been a challenge. I had no interest in staying on FT.

kerridean
03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I am an audiologist. I was out of the workforce for 8 years to be a SAHM. Now that my girls are in school full time, I am back to work part time. I work as a contractor and I love it! I should have gone back much sooner.

KrisM
03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
I was a mechanical engineer working in noise and vibration. I've been out nearly 9 years and won't go back to it. Not sure I'll go back to anything, really.

AnnieW625
03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
I haven't gotten there yet and who knows if I ever will, but the thought of at least working part time which has never materialized has been on my mind since I had DD1. I would be leaving state employment with a specialization in insurance. If we ever move out of state to a more reasonable col area I have told DH we initially have to be able to make it on one income because I haven't interviewed for anything in almost 10 yrs., and I have no MBA or advanced degree (so not very marketable IMHO); and yes it would most likely be his future job that would take us out of our area. My job location is pretty stable right now. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I would love to at least try being a SAHM for a while.

edurnemk
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm a Chemical Engineer and used to work in Operations in big Pharma. I've been a SAHM since 2008, doing some freelance and PT work for a Pharma consulting firm from 2010-2012. I don't plan on going back to that, I plan on starting a small business when DD starts preschool. But I'm really happy as a SAHM.

ellies mom
03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
I was an equipment tech in the semiconductor industry. I fixed the machines that make computer chips. I was laid off while I was pregnant. Finding child care turned out to be more problematic than we had hoped so I stayed home for a few years until I went back to school to become a nurse. Now I work part-time. It definitely effects my career trajectory but it works for the family right now.

elliput
03-11-2013, 05:27 PM
My last position was a Financial Analyst for an IT dept. I had a mix of financial, IT and administrative duties. If I ever do go back to work, I would rather it be in a more creative atmosphere (though I fit in really well with the IT crowd in general).

ilfaith
03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
I did not exactly give up a fabulous career to become a SAHM. Truth be told, I left my field a few years before having children. In my past life, I was a marketing communications manager in the publishing industry until I followed my husband's career, leaving NYC and moving to Florida. Once we settled here, I did some marketing consulting and worked part time as an office manager and in a retail job prior to DS1's birth. Now I feel I have been away from publishing far too long to ever return. As my husband points out, I am "old media" (print magazine publishing). Of course northeast Florida isn't exactly a hotbed of the publishing industry (not that there is any hotbed anywhere today). The most transferable skill I have from my old career is probably the part where I coordinated trade shows. However, since DH travels so much, I could never go back to a job that required me to do the same.

icunurse
03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
I still work, but I work weekends and off-shifts, so I am home most of the week (this week I am working Sat and Sun, so home m-f for everything with the kids and DH takes over when I work). I still consider myself a SAHM because I am the primary caregiver, we do not rely on daycare or anyone else for me to work.

Anyway, I am still a nurse, work about 60 hours/ month (5 shifts). Technically, I could still re-enter the business track in a few years to work my way up the corporate ladder, but I don't have any interest in that. I like being in direct contact with people. Ideally, I will end up working in public health education, whether through our county health department, Planned Parenthood, etc. but those jobs are almost always full-time and those kind of hours aren't going to happen for me for a while.

anonomom
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
I was a lawyer. I loved my job and the work that I did, and want to return to it in some capacity. But the legal community here is quite different from the one I left and I don't think I could return to my same field of practice. I have two more years to figure it out, as DH and I recently decided I'm going to be out for at least that much longer.

Franky, if I could find a 9-5 job doing legal research, document review, etc., I'd be a very happy camper.

lhafer
03-11-2013, 06:12 PM
I was a NICU nurse since 2004. Quit when DD2 was born in 2010. I will not go back to nursing, though I really miss the babies. Mainly because of what happened right before I quit.

I worked for 2.5 years on a long term project at the hospital right before quitting, creating the program to turn out paper charts into an electronic medical record. At first I loved it, then I began to hate it. It was impossible to please everyone with it.

All the nurses on the project were 'on loan' from their units during this project. We went back and worked bedside several shifts a month to keep our skills, otherwise it was a desk job. Then there was a massive turn over, and the director of the project was forced to quit. The new director said there was a mandatory meeting for the hospital staff one day, so we all went. That's when he told us that we were all now part of the IT department, and they changed our titles and pay grades!!! And that is was retroactive as of 2 weeks ago! Everyone was like WTF!? And to top it all off...if we wanted to go back to our units and work, we would have to interview like everyone else. WTF?!?! Yeah...everyone started jumping ship then. And I as I was pregnant with #2, I never went back after she was born. I do keep my license active though.

If I could do anything - I would get into real estate. But real estate agent hours are very conducive to having young children. So I will wait a while.

belovedgandp
03-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Another engineer - fourth one so far if I counted right - not going back to that. Too far removed and did not love what I was doing before kids.

SAHM for over 9 years now. Youngest just turned 3. I'm beginning to seriously consider some steps to start my own business, but no real pressure to hurry up or anything.

MSWR0319
03-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I was a Cost Accountant for a manufacturing company. Doesn't really interest me right now. My first job was doing payroll and I would go back to that in the right company. It's not hard work and I liked that I was able to interact with the employees. It would be a great part time job and something I could leave the work at work without having to work overtime. I feel like I should be using my MBA a little more, but I just don't want an upper level job until the kids are out of school.

ett
03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I was a computer engineer and have been out of the workforce for 8.5 years now. I'm not planning to go back to that. Not really sure what I'm going to do.

barkley1
03-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Chemical engineer. I'd love to go back part time (bc of the pay, not bc I love the work), but in my area, there are not many job opportunities for chemical engineers (5-10 companies at most, with VERY low to zero turnover). My previous employer has made it clear they are not interested in hiring part time :(.

But I'm ok with that...not planning on going back for several years anyway, and didnt like my field at all. I'll cross that bridge when we get there!

gatorsmom
03-11-2013, 08:20 PM
I was an HR Manager in a Fortune 500 company. I was a generalist. I let my certification lapse a few years ago. I could go back into it when the kids are in school but honestly I think I will still be really busy even when the kids are in school full time. I envision mornings at the gym followed by prepping for our evening meal/running errands/lunch with friends and family and the rest of the time volunteering at school.

I never really loved HR.

kittymom
03-11-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm a physical therapist. I am currently working part time 2-3 mornings/week. I work in outpatient orthopedics with a specialty in pelvic floor rehab but there is no advancement up the ladder working so few hours. I do most of the childcare and work when my husband can watch the kids.

I get jealous sometimes when I see colleagues who went to grad school with me at much higher levels or in private practice but I spent my pre-baby years moving around the country for DH's job so was never able to move up too much before kids either. It works well for me with young children right now bc I can keep my skills and license up but still mostly SAH.

In the future I'd like to do more with my career like teach, get my specialty certification and/or start a private practice. Not sure yet that I will be able to. Some people can't just "lean in" due to external circumstances. We have to move with DH's job- yes, I am in a portable career but it's not good for my career advancement to keep moving with his jobs. Oh well.

StantonHyde
03-12-2013, 01:12 AM
I managed the training and development department for a large university and for the health care system associated with it. I loved, loved, loved that job. But then my boss left and the culture completely changed by the time I came back from maternity leave. I was trying to adjust to a semi-preemie (non) sleep schedule etc etc. I quit and found PT work at one of the small hospitals within the system doing regulatory compliance. (which I had learned years ago and kept up on the side with consulting work) I hate the content of my job but love, love, love where and with whom I work. Totally flexible and great people. Keeps my foot in the door. I am very grateful to have the job I do. (I like to pee alone!)

hellokitty
03-12-2013, 02:49 PM
I was a RN before leaving the field 9 yrs ago to be a sahm. I still have an active license. Honestly, I was burnt out when I left the field and I still struggle with the idea of returning to nursing. I have a sense of dread, which sucks, because I was a wonderful nurse. Dh has erratic hours, and even though I wanted to be a sahm, much of it was out of necessity too, due to dh's hours. Now I sometimes feel trapped, it isn't do much of a choice at this point to be a sahm and sometimes I resent that. If I return to nursing it will definitely be in a different ripe of nursing. I was in critical care and also worked for a little over half a yr in occ health, but found it too mundane. I am an a project oriented person and felt that I never accomplished anything as a RN, that it was just never ending work and it bothered me. I think that ideally I need a job that allows for more autonomy and some creativity. Whether I will be able to do that with my background, I don't know. I still feel like I am at the, "what will I be when I grow up" phase. Dh said I should go back and get my MBA. He thinks I would be well suited in the business world. It seems so foreign after being stuck in healthcare for so long. I still need to get used to the idea of leaving healthcare all together. I don't know why that's so hard for me, since I'm not that interested in returning to nursing and unfortunately we live in a rural area or else I'd love to become more involved in nursing research.

lhafer
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I was a RN before leaving the field 9 yrs ago to be a sahm. I still have an active license. Honestly, I was burnt out when I left the field and I still struggle with the idea of returning to nursing. I have a sense of dread, which sucks, because I was a wonderful nurse. Dh has erratic hours, and even though I wanted to be a sahm, much of it was out of necessity too, due to dh's hours. Now I sometimes feel trapped, it isn't do much of a choice at this point to be a sahm and sometimes I resent that. If I return to nursing it will definitely be in a different ripe of nursing. I was in critical care and also worked for a little over half a yr in occ health, but found it too mundane. I am an a project oriented person and felt that I never accomplished anything as a RN, that it was just never ending work and it bothered me. I think that ideally I need a job that allows for more autonomy and some creativity. Whether I will be able to do that with my background, I don't know. I still feel like I am at the, "what will I be when I grow up" phase. Dh said I should go back and get my MBA. He thinks I would be well suited in the business world. It seems so foreign after being stuck in healthcare for so long. I still need to get used to the idea of leaving healthcare all together. I don't know why that's so hard for me, since I'm not that interested in returning to nursing and unfortunately we live in a rural area or else I'd love to become more involved in nursing research.

You sounds very much like me! I'm sending you a PM.