PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this?

mommylamb
03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
OK, prefacing this by saying that I'm totally clueless about this sort of thing.

DS1 has the Kendall furniture collection from PBK http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/kendall-bedroom-set/?pkey=dfurniture-set-savings and one of the knobs came off his dresser recently. The inside of the knob where the ridging is (not sure if that's the right term) is totally stripped so that it's impossible to screw it back on because there is nothing for the screw to hold onto. I'm really annoyed. I bought him this dresser about 2 years ago when it was on sale, but it sat in his walk in closet for a year unused because he was still using the dresser from the set that is now in DS2's room. Really disappointed in PBK's quality here.

Anyone know how I can fix it?

khm
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
I'd contact PB for a new knob. Make them send a few.

Is it threaded metal inside? Or just wood inside?

ellies mom
03-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I second requesting a new knob from PB. There are ways to fix it but for its age and what you likely paid for it, PB should send you a replacement. Being lazy, I would only fix it if I didn't have a replacement option.

TwinFoxes
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
I'd contact PB for a new knob.

:yeahthat: Do they still make them?

123LuckyMom
03-11-2013, 06:28 PM
If you can't get a new knob, get a dowel that is slightly smaller than the stripped opening. Fill the opening almost to the top with glue or wood filler, and insert the dowel. The glue/filler will overflow, but that's what you want. You basically want to fill that whole cavity solid again. When the glue dries, use a small saw or utility knife to cut the dowel off. Then you can drill a hole in the dowel and use a slightly smaller screw.

BunnyBee
03-11-2013, 07:47 PM
If PBK doesn't make it (or it's a slightly different color), try a longer screw. Take the one from the dresser with you to the hardware store so you get the right size. Sometimes just the end is stripped and the threads go pretty deeply into the knob. If that doesn't work, there are all sorts of fixes online with toothpicks and wood glue, but a longer screw is a much easier and cheaper first attempt.

gatorsmom
03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
You could go to a hardware store and pick out new knobs for all the drawers so they all match.

EllasMum
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Yep, as a PP mentioned, get some wood filler. You can buy it in small tubs at any hardware store. You just pack it in the hole and then let it dry. You can then screw in the screw just like it was regular wood. I did this with my kitchen cabinets and it worked beautifully.

OKKiddo
03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Actually I used a trick off of an episode of This Old House for our knob. You'll need wood glue and toothpicks. Put some glue in the hole, put in a few toothpicks until snug and cut the extra length of the toothpicks off. Let the glue dry. Once it's dry you can re-screw the knob on and it will be tighter than the rest, I promise. I did that a year ago and all of the other knobs needed to be tightened since but that one. This is a simple fix that you likely already have all of the necessary parts for and you can have a perfectly functional piece again in less than 1 day. (How long would it take to make the phone call and then wait for the new piece?)