PDA

View Full Version : did a whole bunch of "regular" posters leave in the last few months?

lmh2402
03-11-2013, 09:40 PM
seems like there a number of posters that i never see posting anymore...

have you noticed that a bunch of former "regulars" are gone?

maydaymommy
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
I was wondering what happened to
Ha9....
Anyone know?

Kymberley
03-11-2013, 10:12 PM
I was wondering what happened to
Ha9....
Anyone know?

Yeah, I tried to get in touch with her about the Onlies group but haven't heard back. I haven't seen Fortato in a long time either, and Jo used to have the BEST deals- I miss those ladies. :(

Multimama
03-11-2013, 10:15 PM
I've noticed a lot of former regular posters are posting a lot less. I guess I imagined there must a spin-off group...

JBaxter
03-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I tried to get in touch with her about the Onlies group but haven't heard back. I haven't seen Fortato in a long time either, and Jo used to have the BEST deals- I miss those ladies. :(

Jo an Kristen are no longer on here.

citymama
03-11-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm always missing Ivy (ThreeOfUs) and Stacy (JoyNChrist). I notice Fairy and kjijp aren't here that much these days either. More power to them for spending less time online but come back and visit us, ladies! Haven't seen LarsMal here in forever. I wonder about her and Ivy sometimes - you don't go from posting daily to disappearing overnight!

barkley1
03-11-2013, 11:03 PM
I've been wondering the same thing! Weird that it was several all at once...did they all go somewhere together? Lol!

gatorsmom
03-11-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm always missing Ivy (ThreeOfUs) and Stacy (JoyNChrist). I notice Fairy and kjijp aren't here that much these days either. More power to them for spending less time online but come back and visit us, ladies! Haven't seen LarsMal here in forever. I wonder about her and Ivy sometimes - you don't go from posting daily to disappearing overnight!

I was just thinking of both of them. Ivy said back in October 2011 that she was going to spend a little lenses time here. I'm not exactly sure what that meant. And of course, I'm still missing Bubbaray in a big way. She was always helpful. I bet the ladies in the cars eat forum miss her in a big way! Larsmal just sort of tapered off.

It seems to me that more posters leave after an election. Whether they become more active to join the political discussions and then go back to their normal posting levels afterwards or maybe regular posters get turned off by the heated discussions, who knows? But it seems we lose a lot around that minima.

JoyNChrist
03-11-2013, 11:34 PM

Aw, thanks! I'm just crazy busy with school and the kids. Avery just turned six (what??) and the twins are 2.5 and more than a handful. ;)

Nooknookmom
03-12-2013, 02:25 AM
I have noticed that too, I am still here, doubt I'd be missed though.

My little one is 5 & oldest 17, I have to help run a business and drive kids all over. I have chroic health issues that have been acting up lately too.

Lots of old timers are dropping off.

WatchingThemGrow
03-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Aw, thanks! I'm just crazy busy with school and the kids. Avery just turned six (what??) and the twins are 2.5 and more than a handful. ;)
Tell us about school, life, etc. Stacy!

american_mama
03-12-2013, 07:39 AM

I don't think we know each other well, but I certainly "know" you and your user name, and that you've been around a long time. I have felt unnoticed at points in my life and it's not fun... you are not invisible!

queenmama
03-12-2013, 08:19 AM
My little one is 5 & oldest 17...

I definitely recognize your name but I didn't know this about your kids (can't see sigs on my phone)! If you have any tips for me -- our kids are turning 13 and 1 in the next couple of months! -- please share! It has certainly been an adjustment, since it was just the three of us for so very long! Oh, how I miss sleep...

Lara

jgenie
03-12-2013, 08:36 AM

My little one is 5 & oldest 17, I have to help run a business and drive kids all over. I have chroic health issues that have been acting up lately too.

Lots of old timers are dropping off.

I would notice and miss you. We need you here. :)

wendibird22
03-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Am I the only one who cannot remember usernames to save my soul? I've been here for like 5 yrs and post daily, but man oh man any time there's one of these "whatever happened to xxx?" threads I feel so dumb. Once I see all the usernames popping up I'm like "Oh yeah!" But if I had to actually contribute to the list of people who are MIA I couldn't come up with a single one.

Doesn't mean I miss you any less LOL!

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Am I the only one who cannot remember usernames to save my soul? I've been here for like 5 yrs and post daily, but man oh man any time there's one of these "whatever happened to xxx?" threads I feel so dumb. Once I see all the usernames popping up I'm like "Oh yeah!" But if I had to actually contribute to the list of people who are MIA I couldn't come up with a single one.

I think of them in groups. It'd weird because they have nothing to do with each other, really. So if I see one username and not its "pair" for awhile, I start to wonder where she is. For example, I've noticed Srhs hasn't been here for awhile. And stnm (sp?) is only here occasionally. I think of the "Beths" in a group because once upon a time they had their first name in their siggy. Way back in the day WifeandMommy used to post a lot at the same time Watchingthemgrow posted so my mind groups them together even though one posts regularly now and the other rarely.

My mind is weird like that though. :D

I have been wondering if JTsmom is still here. I see her post a lot less often. My mind pairs her with Larsmal. :tongue5:

Ceepa
03-12-2013, 09:26 AM
I think as kids get older life outside of this community really picks up. Some parents go back to work. Some get immersed in new activity around DC's school life or community. And then people tend to post with specific questions (classroom, parties, etc.) rather than hanging out here. I notice those who are most active seem to be the ones with new pregnancies, newborns and really young kids.

This board is full of information outside of diapers and sleep training, and, after a while, skimming threads when I have some time without posting is easier.

SASM
03-12-2013, 09:32 AM
I think of them in groups. It'd weird because they have nothing to do with each other, really. So if I see one username and not its "pair" for awhile, I start to wonder where she is. For example, I've noticed Srhs hasn't been here for awhile. And stnm (sp?) is only here occasionally. I think of the "Beths" in a group because once upon a time they had their first name in their siggy. Way back in the day WifeandMommy used to post a lot at the same time Watchingthemgrow posted so my mind groups them together even though one posts regularly now and the other rarely.

I have been wondering if JTsmom is still here. I see her post a lot less often. My mind pairs her with Larsmal. :tongue5:
This is how I think, too, Lisa! :)

elbenn
03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
One of the users with "smiles" in her name used to post a lot and haven't seen her for awhile.

wendibird22
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM

:bowdown: cause I can't even remember who is and isn't a "Beth"! Seriously, names are my biggest mental block. Totally reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry can't remember his girlfriend's name. I might start referring to you all as Mulva. :hysterical:

BabbyO
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM

Nope...I'm the same way...when I see the username, I do the same thing...but to come up with them out of the blue...not likely. Ironically you and Annie are two that I remember...

I agree...don't think my poor memory means I don't miss people...

mctlaw
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm an old-timer but a very sporadic poster, so I wouldn't expect anyone to miss me.

Back to Ha98, though. She was a prolific poster right up until she disappeared and was setting up a board for parents of onlies which seemed to cause some issues here amongst some. I noticed several somewhat harsh posts that were obviously directed at her and I wonder if she left over hurt feelings.

I didn't always agree with her, for sure, but rather enjoyed many of her posts so I hope she comes back.

roobee
03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
I think that some people give up the boards for Lent, I know that happens on another board I frequent.

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I think that some people give up the boards for Lent, I know that happens on another board I frequent.

Wow! Now that is one thing I would never have considered giving up! I'm not sure I actually could do it...

Hemlock
03-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I definitely recognize your name but I didn't know this about your kids (can't see sigs on my phone)! If you have any tips for me -- our kids are turning 13 and 1 in the next couple of months! -- please share! It has certainly been an adjustment, since it was just the three of us for so very long! Oh, how I miss sleep...

Lara

Lara, I notice your posts because our kids are the same ages. I have also been having a HARD time adjusting....

KLD313
03-12-2013, 03:58 PM
I haven't seen Uno-mom post in awhile either. Hopefully everything is fine with her.

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 04:35 PM
I've also been wondering about KDsmommy. I hope she is ok.

doberbrat
03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Am I the only one who cannot remember usernames to save my soul?

Nope! Part of it is I rarely read posters' names - I just skip to the text. But IRL I'm known for never remembering people's names. Even people I know and see on a daily basis!

BayGirl2
03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm horrible with remembering posters names off the top of my head too. In fact before I opened this thread I couldn't think of which posters could be missing. But when I see the names I totally recognize them, and I have a little imaginary personality in my head for every regular poster here.

IDK - I tend to be here a lot for a while then go off to other boards or get busy with work and spend less time online. So I'll disappear for a month and then come back, and I always wonder if anyone notices.

I think the Lent thing is a good point too. I don't do Lent anymore, but I do try to cut back on Social Networking every once in a while.

wifecat
03-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm horrible with remembering posters names off the top of my head too. In fact before I opened this thread I couldn't think of which posters could be missing. But when I see the names I totally recognize them, and I have a little imaginary personality in my head for every regular poster here.

Hehe! Me too. I often don't even notice poster names when reading the threads. I've been here for years but still don't know if I'd qualify as a regular, but when people mention certain people are gone I remember them (if that makes sense). I didn't realize Jo was gone...oh, her Kohl's deals! That's sad. I hope she's well.

LarsMal
03-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Hi ladies!

It's been so long since I logged on that I wasn't even sure I remembered my password!

I had consciously taken a break from the boards ("tapered off" was a good way to put it) and then I just stopped checking in as much. As the kids started getting older, I felt like I didn't have as much to offer. Their schedules started getting so busy as well. It's weird because I am one of those who thought I would "never" leave the boards!

I recently started working again, too, so now I have even less time to spend here.

I think of many of you often! Thanks for thinking of me!

lalasmama
03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I haven't seen Uno-mom post in awhile either. Hopefully everything is fine with her.

I was thinking of her and "Sprog" the other day. They are local to me, so I remember her name easier :) haven't seen her around in quite a while.

dcmom2b3
03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
One of the users with "smiles" in her name used to post a lot and haven't seen her for awhile.

Smiles33, I think?

div_0305
03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
I posted a few months ago wondering about Jo. I missed her deals and witty comments, but learned that she was taken off the board. Clearly I missed what led up to that happening, but wish I knew. Since I think it's only due to my curiousity, I don't think I need to know though. Did I say I miss her already? :shrug:

kellij
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I posted a few months ago wondering about Jo. I missed her deals and witty comments, but learned that she was taken off the board. Clearly I missed what led up to that happening, but wish I knew. Since I think it's only due to my curiousity, I don't think I need to know though. Did I say I miss her already? :shrug:

I agree. It would be nice if we could do a vote or something about whether someone has to be "taken off." :(

div_0305
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
I agree. It would be nice if we could do a vote or something about whether someone has to be "taken off." :(

I just thought of us having a "BBB conclave" to vote. Too much papal talk!

NCGrandma
03-12-2013, 07:15 PM
I just thought of us having a "BBB conclave" to vote. Too much papal talk!

The outfits might be fun, though (especially if we could get a deal on them...).

elbenn
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM

I really liked reading Jo's posts, too.

elbenn
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Smiles33, I think?

Yes, I think that's right.

zag95
03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
I was thinking of her and "Sprog" the other day. They are local to me, so I remember her name easier :) haven't seen her around in quite a while.
:yeahthat: Yeah, Lalasmama and Uno mom are Portlanders, like me! :wavey:

indigo99
03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=wendibird22;3747568]Am I the only one who cannot remember usernames to save my soul? I've been here for like 5 yrs and post daily, but man oh man any time there's one of these "whatever happened to xxx?" threads I feel so dumb.
[QUOTE]

I'm the same. I feel like I post a lot, but I don't feel like I have any close connections to people on here. It's strange because I always did in the forums that I've been active in before, but not this one.

Uno-Mom
03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Aw, HI lalasmama & everybody! I'm touched that my name came up *sniff*.

Sprog is fabulous, life is wildly hectic and good right now.

I guess that as Sprog's gotten older, my parenting questions have gotten more specific and personal to HER, so I haven't been as ready to bring them to a totally public forum like bbb. I do spend a lot of time online but I tend to discuss parenting with a more private group of fb friends. (Some I met here!)

Also I'm usually online with my iphone and the darn thing doesn't work cooperate well with logging in here. I do lurk sometimes, though.

If lots of things go as planned, we might be birthing or adopting a Sprog 2 (no, I wouldn't really give them that nickname :) ) in the next year or two and I'm sure I'll be back with a million questions about breastfeeding, baby food and the new generation of cloth diapers!

tropicalmom
03-12-2013, 10:30 PM
The outfits might be fun, though (especially if we could get a deal on them...).

I needed a laugh tonight :-)

ZeeBaby
03-12-2013, 10:41 PM
I am another one that doesn't read the posters names, I just read the text.

div_0305
03-12-2013, 11:12 PM

I'll bet Jo could find a deal for us! Too funny!

sntm
03-12-2013, 11:51 PM
I mostly read my phone while nursing to sleep. Hard to type (r arm currently trapped under baby) and lately focused on dog and home renov research!

jerseygirl07067
03-13-2013, 12:02 AM
I've actually been posting sporadically on the board for 9 years! Not enough that people would remember me. :)

I will say I really was helped a lot after having my first DD, by the posts from stillplayswithbarbies. She was such a wealth of BFing information, and I attribute my success to a lot of the help I received from her. Karen, if you're out there, thank you!

s7714
03-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Seems like every couple years there's a mass exodus of regulars. Sometimes due to board politics, but other times just due to life. Then someone posts a "where'd they go" thread and I realize I've been here way too long. :p

Nooknookmom
03-13-2013, 02:34 AM

Lara

I really can relate!!! It's a difficult transition. Going from a self sufficient middleschooler back to a infant/toddler. I almost feel like I have "two families" if that makes sense.

Sleep? Lol I did not have a sleep thu the night till DD2 was about 2! I remember that -ugh.

My biggest tip? Make sure the older one doesn't feel left out. I tried VERY hard to include her with everythiing and if I doted on sister I doted on sissy. if I went to be mall and bought the baby a shirt if I could afford it, i got sissy one.

I had a very sick reflux baby and I did miss some alone time with my older one - nothing I could do about it, but I'm praying I did my best & she is a very well rounded girl. Super shy though and the 5 yo is flamboyant!

I am certain there is some jealously...even at 17. She was our only for so long. That said, she adores her sister & is very protective of her!

You will enjoy both stages in different ways. I have one graduating high school and applying to college & one graduating kindergarten! What a difference!

Feel free to pm me!

Nooknookmom
03-13-2013, 02:35 AM
I don't think we know each other well, but I certainly "know" you and your user name, and that you've been around a long time. I have felt unnoticed at points in my life and it's not fun... you are not invisible!

Thank you-I was wallowing in self pity earlier, you made me smile!

citymama
03-13-2013, 02:44 AM
Hi ladies!

It's been so long since I logged on that I wasn't even sure I remembered my password!

I had consciously taken a break from the boards ("tapered off" was a good way to put it) and then I just stopped checking in as much. As the kids started getting older, I felt like I didn't have as much to offer. Their schedules started getting so busy as well. It's weird because I am one of those who thought I would "never" leave the boards!

I recently started working again, too, so now I have even less time to spend here.

I think of many of you often! Thanks for thinking of me!

Hey there! :waving4: So were your ears ringing or did someone give you a heads up that you were missed? Come back and visit again!

JTsMom
03-13-2013, 12:54 PM
:wavey: I still pop in now and then, but I think most of my posts have been in the SN forum. Every once in a while, I check out the Lounge though. I became more active with a local group I belong to, and that sucks up most of my message board time. Thanks for thinking of me. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
I've actually been posting sporadically on the board for 9 years! Not enough that people would remember me. :)

I will say I really was helped a lot after having my first DD, by the posts from stillplayswithbarbies. She was such a wealth of BFing information, and I attribute my success to a lot of the help I received from her. Karen, if you're out there, thank you!

Thank you. :love-retry: That is really nice to hear.

jerseygirl07067
03-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you. :love-retry: That is really nice to hear.

I didn't know you still come on the boards! I hope you are doing well! :) I post in bursts so I may have missed a lot of activity. I come mostly to the lounge.

I am through with BFing, made it to 3 years with my 3rd one, (I could have been on the cover of Time, lol) 13 months with DD #1, 19 months with DD #2.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I didn't know you still come on the boards! I hope you are doing well! :) I post in bursts so I may have missed a lot of activity. I come mostly to the lounge.

I am through with BFing, made it to 3 years with my 3rd one, (I could have been on the cover of Time, lol) 13 months with DD #1, 19 months with DD #2.

I read more than I post these days but do chime in when I think I have something to add. :)

I am all done with breastfeeding too. But I still go to La Leche meetings when I can. :)

I nursed my third (adopted) child for two years from when we brought her home at six months to age two and a half. It wasn't as long as her sister (3 years 9 months) but I'm pretty happy with nursing as long as we did considering all the work to relactate.

DrSally
03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
:wavey: I still pop in now and then, but I think most of my posts have been in the SN forum. Every once in a while, I check out the Lounge though. I became more active with a local group I belong to, and that sucks up most of my message board time. Thanks for thinking of me. :)

Hope you are doing well!

hellbennt
03-13-2013, 11:43 PM

:yeahthat: although, I do think I'm known due to my usename & reflux info...:wavey:

citymama
03-14-2013, 01:07 AM

I've been thinking about you too! Hope you are well.

Fairy
03-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Very nice to be mentioned, thank you. I have taken an Internet break altogether, especially FB. My online presences and responsibilities, and my social media obligations were consuming me, and it had become oppressive. You can't really avoid being online, especially in my job, but I've drastically reduced and am taking a self-imposed break. I will return to FB in summer probably and will check back in here now and then. I don't think I could leave forever :). It is nice to see the old timers.

Thanks for thinking of me, hope all are well.

Fairy

mom2binsd
03-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Fairy, I had noticed your absence but knew you were trying to cut back.

Any chance you'll be down my way again though????

Fairy
03-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Fairy, I had noticed your absence but knew you were trying to cut back.

Any chance you'll be down my way again though????

DH isn't staffed at the college anymore, so not likely :-(. About once a year I try to go with my friends from the now defunct A/C, but we haven't been in a while. Here's hopin' for soon! Nice to hear from you :-)

K, going back to oblivion now ...

KDsMommy
01-24-2014, 11:55 AM
I've also been wondering about KDsmommy. I hope she is ok.

I was searching for something and came across this post just now. Awww...I feel so special!

I'm doing really, really well. DH and I were married in October 2013 and we now have a house full of 3 boys! We moved (locally) to a larger home and are very happy. I am very active as a Guardian ad Litem (Court-appointed advocate for abused, neglected, and abandoned children) and am seriously considering changing careers to work full-time for the program. I feel truly fulfilled for the first time ever. We're TTC #4 at the moment and praying for a blessing.

I know this thread is old, but I'm so touched that my name came up. Thank you all for the support and kindness you've shown over the years. (and the deals have been awesome too!)

123LuckyMom
01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
I find that I don't personally note people's usernames often, but when a thread like this comes up, I remember! It's great to hear from you guys again, and Nooknookmom, you would most certainly be missed!!!

KpbS
01-24-2014, 03:01 PM
This thread is almost a year old!

indigo99
01-25-2014, 04:01 PM

I'm totally the same way. I recognize names when I see them, but I don't have identities in my head for many people.