PDA

View Full Version : 20 hours a week; sitter pay rate?

rin
03-12-2013, 01:27 AM
What's reasonable to pay someone who comes 20 hours a week to watch one baby (now 8 months old) & do light housework (fold laundry, wash dishes) during naps? We live in a medium cost of living area. We've had someone coming in for a few weeks now, and we really like her a lot, but she just emailed asking for a pretty significant raise. I thought we were paying at the lower end of the pay range, and would be happy to give her a bit of a raise, but she's asking for basically a 50% increase. I am extremely happy with her, and don't want to let things get soured over money (especially if we have unrealistic expectations for what wages should be) but also don't want to be fleeced . . .

essnce629
03-12-2013, 02:04 AM
I've been a part-time infant nanny for several different families and always charged $15 an hour. This was in both San Diego, CA and Charlottesville, VA. This included care of the baby and stuff like straightening up the kitchen, picking up toys, and folding baby's laundry.

blisstwins
03-12-2013, 02:09 AM
I agree. I think $15 is going rate most places. Maybe $13...., but since you want some housework $15 is more in line. So $300 a week.

rin
03-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks ladies!